What's new

Looking for camping/fishing info for NW Montana

planefixer

Global Warmer
Member Number
Loc
Colorado Springs
I'm heading out on a 10-12 day road trip to WY, MT, and ID to do some fishing and camping. One of the areas I was looking at was the Mission Mountains up north of Missoula near St. Ignacious. From what I've read, In addition to a MT fishing license it looks like I need to also get a tribal permit since its within the Flathead Reservation. Can someone in the know verify this for me please?

Check with David, he up in that direction. I don't remember having a tribal permit but that was yeeearsss ago. Fishing is pretty much any river or stream you can find, also how far you want to walk? Glacier lake out of Red Lodge or Boulder out of Big Timber was our go to's.

http://csktnrd.org/fwrc/recreation
This page has a lot of the info you need. You will need a permit, but I can't remember what they run. They aren't bad though. You must be over the age of 11 to purchase one, haha. Here is the list of places that sell the permit:
Columbia Falls, MT
- Super One Foods
- Smiths Food and Drug

Hamilton, MT
- Bob Ward & Sons

Hot Springs, MT
- Cornerstone Convenience Store

Kalispell, MT
- Cabela's
- MT Fish, Wildlife, & Parks-Region 1
- Snappy Sport Senter
- Sportsman & Ski Haus

Lakeside, MT
- Sliter's Ace Hardware

Missoula, MT
- Bob Ward and Sons
- Cabela’s
- MT Fish, Wildlife, & Parks-Region 2
- Sportsman's Warehouse

Olney, MT
- Thad's Tackle Shop

Pablo, MT
- Zimmer Tackle

Plains, MT
- Plains Service Center

Polson, MT
- CSKT, DFWRC, 406 6th Avenue East
- Wal-Mart

Ronan, MT
- Westland Seed

St. Ignatius, MT
- Allard's Stage Stop

Superior, MT
- Westgate True Value

Whitefish, MT
- Sportsman & Ski Haus

Woods Bay, MT
- Papa's Woods Bay Market

http://csktnrd.org/fwrc/recreation
This page has a lot of the info you need. You will need a permit, but I can't remember what they run. They aren't bad though. You must be over the age of 11 to purchase one, haha. Here is the list of places that sell the permit:
Columbia Falls, MT
- Super One Foods
- Smiths Food and Drug

Hamilton, MT
- Bob Ward & Sons

Hot Springs, MT
- Cornerstone Convenience Store

Kalispell, MT
- Cabela's
- MT Fish, Wildlife, & Parks-Region 1
- Snappy Sport Senter
- Sportsman & Ski Haus

Lakeside, MT
- Sliter's Ace Hardware

Missoula, MT
- Bob Ward and Sons
- Cabela’s
- MT Fish, Wildlife, & Parks-Region 2
- Sportsman's Warehouse

Olney, MT
- Thad's Tackle Shop

Pablo, MT
- Zimmer Tackle

Plains, MT
- Plains Service Center

Polson, MT
- CSKT, DFWRC, 406 6th Avenue East
- Wal-Mart

Ronan, MT
- Westland Seed

St. Ignatius, MT
- Allard's Stage Stop

Superior, MT
- Westgate True Value

Whitefish, MT
- Sportsman & Ski Haus

Woods Bay, MT
- Papa's Woods Bay Market

Thanks for the info. :beer:

Keep your Rona ridden ass out of the MT :flipoff2: Yes, you need a tribal license for the rez. I'm not sure about camping other than around Polson. The eastside of the GNP is closed because the blackfeet don't want your Rona. The westside of GNP and flathead area's are crowded because the east side is closed. So the campgrounds are packed with out of state Rona ridden virus vessels.

I would make a trip up the Northfork flathead to Polebridge, pretty amazing area. Bonus points for floating the Northfork. The Cark fork around Thompson Falls is great for fishing, lots of camping and less people. I would do Thompson falls over the rez. And Missoula is a freakshow.

I was hoping to do a similar trip this fall with my son, starting from YNP area down to UT/CO.

Have a buddy who lives in Jackson Hole, he pushed hard for me to visit the Gros Ventre east of the parks, plenty of dispersed camping and fishing.

The Cark fork around Thompson Falls is great for fishing, lots of camping and less people. I would do Thompson falls over the rez. And Missoula is a freakshow.

There's a bridge from Missoula to that area that is closed for another 4ish weeks I think. Aunt and Uncle are annoyed cause they can't get to their cabin up there for awhile.

https://www.kpax.com/news/local-news...ek-for-6-weeks

We are starting out in the Beartooth Wilderness Area in WY and our next destination was going to be the Mission Mountains outside of St. Ignacious - Mission Reservoir & Saint Mary's Lake. It sounds like more hassle and extra money than we want to deal with so we're probably just going to skip MT and head from Northern Wyoming over to the Sawtooths in Idaho. thanks for the info.

I was hoping to do a similar trip this fall with my son, starting from YNP area down to UT/CO.

Have a buddy who lives in Jackson Hole, he pushed hard for me to visit the Gros Ventre east of the parks, plenty of dispersed camping and fishing.

Go up past the lake & it gets a whole lot less crowded. Tons of fish in the river, fun river for kids.

Top Back Refresh