What's new

Looking for a strong gas tank skid plate

ricekrispyota

Member Number
New guy here. Ill start of with what I got: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 standard cab, 5' suspension lift and 3" body lift, stock axles and gearing, that I plan to do some rock crawling with (45 minutes from the Hammers, Big Bear and Calico) if that gives you any idea.

I noticed the stock gas tank is plastic and sits well below the frame. Does anyone know where I can go to find a sturdy gas tank skid plate. It seems armor is hard to find for these trucks? I'm also trying to find a winch mount front bumper that will cover the 3" body lift.

Thanks.

I would be careful with bumpers on a BR series. The bumper is set so high above the frame stock, it puts a lot of leverage on the frame horns if you hit anything. Big stupid bumpers make this worse and frequently bend the crush zones on the frame. Adding more height is just going to make it worse. I would build a bumper that is inline with the frame and then maybe light sheetmetal to mold it up to the grille. Probably going to be ugly as Hel, but it beats totaling a frame from a light hit. Same goes for winching, just in the other direction.

Ill put this reply in the same thread since it's all on the same truck. Let me know if it needs to be moved please.

The ABS and brake lights are on constantly on the dash board. I have replaced the wheel speed sensor, brake pedal sensor thing ( that sits right behind the pedal) and the RWAL sensor (under the hood on the drivers side). I have checked all the wires coming from the wheel speed sensor also and the are good. I found three separate breaks in the vacuum system, one from the engine bay into the dash and two on along the way to the 4x4 vacuum actuator. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and still the lights stay on. Is there anything else I can check to make the lights turn off, other than removing the bulbs and ignoring them or just saying screw it and driving with them on?

Thanks.

New guy here. Ill start of with what I got: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 standard cab, 5' suspension lift and 3" body lift, stock axles and gearing, that I plan to do some rock crawling with (45 minutes from the Hammers, Big Bear and Calico) if that gives you any idea.

I noticed the stock gas tank is plastic and sits well below the frame. Does anyone know where I can go to find a sturdy gas tank skid plate. It seems armor is hard to find for these trucks? I'm also trying to find a winch mount front bumper that will cover the 3" body lift.

Thanks.
All the fuel tanks/mounts are supposed to be the same for the 2nd gen, depends on short/long box or club/quad cab. I think my '99 2500 has a skid plate under the tank, but I can't remember off-hand. If there was a factory option on any of them I'm sure it will fit with little to no mods. IIRC the stock sizes of tank were 24gal (short bed) or 35gal (long bed), supposedly regardless of cab configuration. Though the interwebs claims that you can install the bigger tank with no mods in a short bed. YMMV
Ill put this reply in the same thread since it's all on the same truck. Let me know if it needs to be moved please.

The ABS and brake lights are on constantly on the dash board. I have replaced the wheel speed sensor, brake pedal sensor thing ( that sits right behind the pedal) and the RWAL sensor (under the hood on the drivers side). I have checked all the wires coming from the wheel speed sensor also and the are good. I found three separate breaks in the vacuum system, one from the engine bay into the dash and two on along the way to the 4x4 vacuum actuator. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and still the lights stay on. Is there anything else I can check to make the lights turn off, other than removing the bulbs and ignoring them or just saying screw it and driving with them on?

Thanks.
I'd suspect air in the system myself. You may have to bleed the shit out of it, but I'd check for leaks where the line passed between the fuel tank and the frame as (if you are anywhere close to rust/salt that seems to be where they leak. My brother's '01 1500 had those lights on for a while from a slight leak that he didn't find for a while in this location.
You may also see if your rear drums (if so equipped, I don't think you could get disks in '99) are in good shape. Leaky wheel cylinders can cause this, as well as shoes that are completely shot not allowing a proper bleed job or too much travel in the pedal causing a lack of pressure buildup in the rear circuit.

Top Back Refresh