What's new

Looking for a small cheap rotary weld positioner

jeepnmatt

Member Number
Loc
Indianapolis, IN
We have to TIG weld about 400 pcs that are a 3/4" left hand thread stud to a 2" diameter by 1/4" thick SS washer. The washer has a hole in it and the stud is welded on both sides.

I'm looking for a small cheap rotary weld positioner to help make this process go faster and easier. I would prefer something that is in stock in the US and i can get in about a week.

I found these on Amazon, but the reviews are not consistent:

any other recommendations for something similar? I would like to keep the price under $1k.

Thanks!
Matt

Rig up 3-4 steel wheel casters to support your part as it turns.

Take one of these and stick a rubber wheel on it and make it run on the back side of one of the casters or the part itself. Change wheel size to change speed.

Ground through the casters. They probably won't live forever but for the costs involved you shouldn't expect them to.

Last edited:
I bought the one mentioned from Arc-Zone. It is OK, but it won't turn slow enough for some of the stuff I want to do. It will be fine for the diameter that you are welding.
It would be nice if someone would build one with a digital speed readout so you could repeat your settings when you come back to the same job. It seems like by the time I get my set-up perfected, I'm done with the job.

Would this guy fit the bill?

Edit: I saw a video where a guy added a small, cheap DC geared motor and speed control to it instead of using a drill. Looked like it worked out well?

I used to run a positioner at work doing kind of what you are doing

I had a petal just like the tig petal that controlled my rotation

If your part doesn't dial down enough RPM's maybe try one of those Harbor Freight foot router jobbers???

I bought the CertiFlat positioner in Jan. or Feb. of this year. The reason I didn't suggest it was because the op needed one within a week. Had to come up with a dc motor, speed controller and foot switch. That took a while. There is a fair amount of information regarding the rotary table on the internet. I'm happy with it, but I am a hobby type of welder. A pro might feel differently. Here's a write up I did: Certiflat Rotary Welding Positioner

My only issue I have with it is there is a very slight bind in the "drive axle". I carefully assembled and welded everything, but somehow must have warped/tweaked something. It will stop the motor at very slow speeds. Have tried running the positioner at higher speed for long periods of time thinking that maybe the brass bushings would wear slightly and the bind would be gone. Hasn't happened yet.

Edit - I found the "bind". It was the gears. Hooked up an electric drill and ran the thing full speed forward and then reverse for over an hour to "set" them. Lots of fine metal shavings. Much better now. No problem running at very low rpm.

Last edited:
Can't remember exactly... The motor is for an electric auto window. Got it on Ebay. It had a long right angle worm drive that I removed. Some of the housing, too. I reversed the gear closest to the motor and pounded a 7/16 socket onto it. It's all held together by the bracket and clamps. No set screw or anything. Clear as mud, I suppose?

Bought a foot switch from SSC. Tried one from HF. Didn't like it and took it back.

Last edited:
We have to TIG weld about 400 pcs that are a 3/4" left hand thread stud to a 2" diameter by 1/4" thick SS washer. The washer has a hole in it and the stud is welded on both sides.

I'm looking for a small cheap rotary weld positioner to help make this process go faster and easier. I would prefer something that is in stock in the US and i can get in about a week.

I found these on Amazon, but the reviews are not consistent:

any other recommendations for something similar? I would like to keep the price under $1k.

Thanks!
Matt
That one and any other like it is total garbage. I burnt it up doing 2” slip on flanges about 3” long. It wouldn’t keep a consistent speed for very long. It would stop constantly until you bumped the speed up. The one I’ve been eyeing is

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh