What's new

Looking for a cleaner - Aluminum

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Used this stuff a long time ago to clean the al tread plate on the trucks. I think the name had "Lighting" in it, but it wasn't the greased lighting that you can get at home depot/lowes. Pretty sure it came from the local carquest.

It had a bit of a burn to the throat and eyes when you sprayed it, but with a light brushing it would remove stains and shine the aluminum right up.

Used this stuff a long time ago to clean the al tread plate on the trucks. I think the name had "Lighting" in it, but it wasn't the greased lighting that you can get at home depot/lowes. Pretty sure it came from the local carquest.

It had a bit of a burn to the throat and eyes when you sprayed it, but with a light brushing it would remove stains and shine the aluminum right up.
superclean...purple bottle.

superclean...purple bottle.
I know its not superclean. It was a white bottle. But that might be a suitable replacement.

This was 15 years ago. Chances are the stuff has been regulated into non-existance by now.

Likely an acid aluminum cleaner if you had that reaction smelling it. Stuff can fuck up some coatings/finishes if you're not paying attention.

Likely an acid aluminum cleaner/brightener if you had that reaction smelling it. Stuff can fuck up some coatings/finishes if you're not paying attention.
Yeah, it definatly had an acid to it. May have just been dilute muriatic acid

We were pretty careful to keep it only on the aluminum. Trying to chean up the box on my camping trailer and it came to mind.

There was some stuff that is hard to get/not sold now because it was simple to make drugs from. Might be that.

You could try the AC coil cleaner next to the HVAC filters in Home Depot. It works great on aluminum radiators.

Wipe down the filler rod too if you are doing tig work. Used acetone on filler and material at one job. Was surprised how much crap came off the filler rod

Oven cleaner. Buy the industrial kitchen stuff that you can't buy retail you have to buy per case.

Top Back Refresh