What's new

Locking hun conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS_liberty

Member Number
Im looking to do the locking hub conversion on my wife rangerover classic, it has the factory 10 spline axles with the drive flanges attached to the stub shaft.The AVM hub kit looks to use a 24 Spline axles without the drive flange.What year and model do I need to source the 24 spline axles from?

Unlocking hubs are only used when you have a part time transfer case. Your Rangie will either have a Borg Warner viscous LSD, an LT230 or a LT95 depending on the year, all of which are full time 4x4. If you were to unlock the front hubs the vehicle wouldn't move unless you locked the center diff - totally pointless.

The only reason to do this would be if you were to swap in part time 4x4 running gear from something else, or a part time conversion kit for an LT230.

Im not running the landrover drivetrain, Im just asking for axle reference.

photo18387.jpg

10 spline axles and LS power... Braver man than me haha.

In that case, it depends on which CVs you have. you will have either 32 to 10 spline or 23 to 10 spline CVs. If the former you will need discovery 1 CVs which take a 32 spline axle and have a 24 spline hub end, or if the latter you will need county CVs which are 23 spline at the axle end and 24 spline at the hub end. County CVs are beefier, but weak point in either case will be the 10 spline end of the axle or the cross pin in the diff.

There are a few other combinations that could work but thats the simple version. Basically there were two types of front axle shafts, 10 to 23 and 10 to 32. Also be aware that there were different width hubs and the stub axle has different bushings or bearings to suit different CVs.

Honestly though unless you don't plan on taking it off road id be swapping in whatever good axles are easily available in your area. In Aus its usually GU Patrol axles, but other parts of the world there seems to be plenty of other options. Rover 10 spline stuff is pretty puny, their only saving grace is that its all full floating.

Its for overlanding nothing too serious, were going to use torque management to tone it down a little.i had debated putting 80 series axles under it but i just rebuilt these not too long ago.

Don't bother with freewheeling hubs. They save so little fuel that modern utes (pickups) don't even use them.

How well the axles last will depend on how much you beat on it. Anything with ABS in it should have 24 splines. But there was a short time with a newer ABS axle design but 10 spline inners.
Disco 1 97+ is a safe bet for a donor vehicle. That's where mine came from.

Im doing it more so because i have a part time tcase and would rather not have a front driveshaft spinning while im doing 80 down the interstate

Im doing it more so because i have a part time tcase and would rather not have a front driveshaft spinning while im doing 80 down the interstate

But why does it matter? Unless you've got driveline issues causing vibration there is no problem with it spinning at whatever speed you can do.

But why does it matter? Unless you've got driveline issues causing vibration there is no problem with it spinning at whatever speed you can do.

Have you ever seen what happens when and if a front drive shaft comes apart.I plan on putting alot of miles on this thing on and off the road.The driveshaft is literally 2in’s from the oil pan and trans.I want to be-able to disengage the front shaft.Also again I am not running a rover drivetrain,I want to take advantage of the part time tcase

Have you ever seen what happens when and if a front drive shaft comes apart.I plan on putting alot of miles on this thing on and off the road.The driveshaft is literally 2in’s from the oil pan and trans.I want to be-able to disengage the front shaft.Also again I am not running a rover drivetrain,I want to take advantage of the part time tcase

I have three rovers with about 800,000km in mileage between them. None have had a front or rear driveshaft come apart. It only happens to the most poorly maintained vehicles.

The only advantage to a part-time 4x4 case is doing burnouts. They don't even give better fuel economy.

I have three rovers with about 800,000km in mileage between them. None have had a front or rear driveshaft come apart. It only happens to the most poorly maintained vehicles.

The only advantage to a part-time 4x4 case is doing burnouts. They don't even give better fuel economy.

Your wrong ,it is less drag on the engine and rotating mass my 1 ton tj picked up 2 mpg after the swap I have had a few drive shafts come part mainly from abuse and being damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Back Refresh