What's new

Lock Picking

SomeGuy

Awesome, Busted.
Member Number
Loc
Canada
Anyone play with lock picking? I just ordered a Sparrows kick starter set (few common picks and tension bars), practice lock and reload (re-pinning) set for it, and some top of keyway (TOK) prybars. Have spent entirely too much time watching the lockpickinglawyer on youtube lately and just need to give it a shot myself. If it pans out, I'll probably pick up a bigger/better set of picks but the kick starter set should be enough to get a feel for it without spending big bucks.

Not doing this for any particular purpose, just for fun really and maybe some party tricks or what not.

Just FYI, BLM peeps are the only ones that get away with robbery, burglary, and steal kids bikes. :flipoff2:

That's racist. :flipoff2:

white_people_please_help.jpg

If you’re not a locksmith, you’re carrying burglary tools.

Actually I would not tell anyone but your internet friends. Anything that goes missing at work or home you become the first suspect. I realize this after my neighbor got locked out. Picked the lock while they were crying about not getting in after a long vacation. They did not watch me but were asking questions afterwards. I just said I jimmy the lock, not sure what that evens means. Next week a locksmith changed all there locks.

Generally it's ok up here...I won't carry them in public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_picking#Canada

It's the same grey area that goes along with assisted opening knives, they're so close to switch blades which are illegal but as long as you aren't a dumb ass, you can own them.

Lock one of these up so you can have a legal tasty treat once you succeed in opening the lock with your legal tools.

Kinder_Surprise_Egg.jpg

LockPickingLawyer on Youtube and instagram is a good guy to watch

His typical meth binge lasts 3 days, he peaked last night and should be crashing soon. Tweakers suck.

Lockpicking is a handy skill. You can get passable skills in 5-10 hours of practice. You won't be able to do it super quick or pick resistant locks but you can get through most schlage/kwikset/master locks. I carry one of the sets that looks like a folding knife in my work bag. Gotten locked out of cabinets and equipment and it's saved the day

Also watch some of the shared key stuff from deviant ollam and others. Picking up random common keys is handy and will always be faster than picking.

Actually I would not tell anyone but your internet friends. Anything that goes missing at work or home you become the first suspect. I realize this after my neighbor got locked out. Picked the lock while they were crying about not getting in after a long vacation. They did not watch me but were asking questions afterwards. I just said I jimmy the lock, not sure what that evens means. Next week a locksmith changed all there locks.

Yeah, as with anything, caution is required. Most people that know me would just say "oh ya, SomeGuy is good at everything, of course he can pick locks too" and not "oh ya, SomeGuy is looking to steal stuff"....but none the less, it's not a skill I need to advertise. Although getting good at full on locksmithing work could be handy.

LockPickingLawyer on Youtube and instagram is a good guy to watch

Note my original post ;)

Same if you have a hammer, screwdriver, or anything else.

You can’t drive nails with a lock pick, it’s a tool with a definite purpose. I have opened locks with a paper clip and the pocket clip from a uniball pen. It is a good skill to have, but discretion is also a good skill.

I may have learned the skill in college. We would work in the machine shop from 6pm till 12;000 or later building sae mini Baja cars. The day time guy was a asshole and locked everything up tight. Well when you need a mic at 11pm at night you learn how to open the cabinets up.

That's really a thing. I've carried lock picks through airport security and have never been questioned about them. I also don't pick a lock I don't own or have the owner standing right with me.

I also have a keyring of keys for keyed alike locks. Those keys can get into most home/office equipment without using picks anyways.

Gave my cop buddy a lesson on 1284x keys when he got locked out of his cruiser. Handed him my key and told him to open his car.

Stuff came in yesterday...been messing with it.

MasterLock padlocks are a joke, 5 seconds to open one (literally). Have successfully picked a bike lock we have a few times. The practice lock I've done several times as well.

Difficulty varies, but I'd say the hardest part right now is my hands cramping up from tensioning the lock for so long. Once the muscles build up and I get faster, I'm sure that won't be a problem.

fuck them.

keep lock sport legal. and it's not illegal in the majority of the states.
https://toool.us/laws.html

deviantollam
lockpickinglawyer
bosnianbill
locklab

places you should start.
deviant's book is on amazon, "practical lockpicking" it is excellent.
and his website has a shit ton of presentations.
and look up the wild west hacking fest panel presentations.

oh, and welcome to the world of knowing that every single locked door is bullshit, and security is just a facade in 99% of the places you go.

fuck them.

keep lock sport legal. and it's not illegal in the majority of the states.
https://toool.us/laws.html

deviantollam
lockpickinglawyer
bosnianbill
locklab

places you should start.
deviant's book is on amazon, "practical lockpicking" it is excellent.
and his website has a shit ton of presentations.
and look up the wild west hacking fest panel presentations.

oh, and welcome to the world of knowing that every single locked door is bullshit, and security is just a facade in 99% of the places you go.
I didn’t say it’s illegal, I said it’s burglary tools. Calm down, Karen.

I've done a bit

fave method for me is key bumping

I carry a set in my tool bag. Plenty of other"burglary tools in there if you were to want to use them that way. The 16lb sledge would probably be my method of choice to get into a door or a padlock. Way faster than me with lockpicks. I'd probably be there all day that way:laughing:

I have a set of picks, amd O play around with it some in the winter when there is nothing else to do. Its pretty rewarding when you get one open.

Top Back Refresh