What's new

Loading revolver shotshells?

Gatorgrizz27

Member Number
I’ve used the Speer shot capsules, however they are #9 shot which works fine for snakes but isn’t suitable for squirrels, grouse, etc. Doing a bit of searching, .357 Maximum cases are barely longer than complete .38 Special rounds, I’m guessing they would fit in the cylinder fine with a small crimp on the end. The hope is that they would hold enough size 7 1/2 shot to be effective on a bit tougher animals.

It appears it’s simple to use a few grains of pistol powder, a shot card, fill the case with shot, add another card, and crimp. Anybody messed with this?

Sound doable...
last 45's we used milk carton "cards" and a drop of wax for dry tight.
Swaging the crimp will be key.

I use the speer capsules in my .45 Colt. I have loaded with #7 and also with BB.

Reactions: Clb
Yeah I haven’t tried the crimping deal yet. I have the Lee factory crimp die that I’m hoping would do a sufficient job, but it may just mangle the case mouth without a bullet to crimp into.

Yeah I haven’t tried the crimping deal yet. I have the Lee factory crimp die that I’m hoping would do a sufficient job, but it may just mangle the case mouth without a bullet to crimp into.

You need to get the crimp set so that it holds it good without being to tight. Takes a little patience

Top Back Refresh