What's new

Living in Foreign Countries

rugger

TheOrginalMiataGuy
Member Number
Loc
Roanoke, VA
If you could live now or retire in another country where would it be and why?

I'm leaning towards Norway when I get a bit older. My backup is Thailand. :laughing:
I have a head start on speaking Norwegian, and I know the lay of the land having visited many times and having several friends there. I also have a place to build a house if I choose to live there.
Thailand is cheap and beautiful. It is friendly to expats, and I'm also familiar with it.

It's gonna be Greece or maybe Croatia. Possibly Canary Islands. Maybe Baja. As long as I can escape all the people I'm fine.

Norway is cool af, but those long dark winters, I don't know. Couldn't do Flori, I mean Thailand due to the high humidity.

Realistically, Canada. I was >||< THIS close to moving to Gillam, Manitoba at the hydro plant.

I'd rock Norway though. Some place cold. 40º is my comfort zone.

edit: wait, I recant my Norway claim. Iceland. Hot blonde chicks and badass 4x4s.

Norway has the highest wages and likely the highest taxes. Should be expensive to live there? It is nice however...I know of a couple that moved to Costa Rica. Contrary to what many think, it's not a shithole, quality health care is available. The people are friendly and literate. You need to learn to avoid certain situations just like any where and of course Spanish. Set up an account with a reputable bank that can draw on funds from a USA account...

Realistically, Canada. I was >||< THIS close to moving to Gillam, Manitoba at the hydro plant.

edit: wait, I recant my Norway claim. Iceland. Hot blonde chicks and badass 4x4s.

We don't really want you Americans up here anyway...

You're single right? Go to Thailand while the boners are still raging, Norway when you slow down Abit... haha:flipoff2:

I was gonna say we're full but I'd much rather be invaded by decreped old USAnians than all the sandjogger migrant's we're currently having leach on us.
Bring all yer guns too :grinpimp: :usa:

I have lived in South Korea and Panama (near the canal), and spent time in other places

I’m staying right here :usa:

Been there and done that :smokin:

Retired in 2016 and moved to the island of Roatan. I would not change anything, we love it, inexpensive cost of living and super laid back lifestyle. Bonus, I get to see hotties in bikini’s daily at the beach :grinpimp:

Honestly, I doubt I'll ever live outside of the U.S. I enjoy traveling abroad, but at the end of the day I'm an American.

Retired in 2016 and moved to the island of Roatan. I would not change anything, we love it, inexpensive cost of living and super laid back lifestyle. Bonus, I get to see hotties in bikini’s daily at the beach :grinpimp:

I was just about to post Roatan but you beat me to it. Favorite place I've been. Funny because I'm typically not a beach or island person but I think it's the general attitude/ lifestyle of everyone there that makes it so appealing

Man, its got to be as hot and sweaty as Gandhi's thong down there.

I was just about to post Roatan but you beat me to it. Favorite place I've been. Funny because I'm typically not a beach or island person but I think it's the general attitude/ lifestyle of everyone there that makes it so appealing

Thats right you did come here a few years back. When you coming back?

I've seen a good portion of the planet and lived outside of the US for 5 years. Tough call for sure. We are so blessed in many ways. Public lands don't exist on the same scale anywhere else. If you enjoy outdoor pursuits that is a huge negative. I gave up hunting, most fishing, and did a tiny bit of illegal wheeling. It was replaced mostly with enjoying exploring the regions. I did miss it though. Unlike the US(Russia, China, Canada?) most countries, driving a few hours can put you in 3-4 different countries.

Poland, Croatia, Slovenia all solid choices in that region(been to and LOVED all three). I'd give Costa Rica a chance. I'd check out Norway, Finland, and Sweden. Been to Sweden twice and it's amazing. Climate is similar to N AK, real winter, dark af. Summer all the daylight you need +10. They do hunt, fish, wheel,and have a great outdoor culture. Better learn to xcountry ski in all three. Women are smoke shows, blonde bombshells, but in the North you have viking princess mixed with Soumi(?) native, so you have exotic bombshells as well.

If you held a gun to my head and said pick now it would be Poland. Up and coming economy, stable, great vodka, beautiful women, close enough to everything, beautiful women...

Outside of the occasional hurricane, that sounds like a pretty sweet place to call home. Clear water, nice beaches, sign me up.

pretty much out of the hurricane belt, last one that brushed the island was I think in 98, one of the reasons we chose it, oh and great diving.

temps are mid 80’s year round but it does drop down to a bone chilling 70-71 when a storm comes through, have to break out a pair of jeans and a long sleeve tshirt on those evenings and close the windows.:lmao:

pretty much out of the hurricane belt, last one that brushed the island was I think in 98, one of the reasons we chose it, oh and great diving.

temps are mid 80’s year round but it does drop down to a bone chilling 70-71 when a storm comes through, have to break out a pair of jeans and a long sleeve tshirt on those evenings and close the windows.:lmao:

Just curious, what do you do for a living? I see exotic places like this and wonder what it is that people do for work.

I wouldn't mind Japan. Great culture.

Canada would most likely be where I'd end up. I am an American but damn this country has done fuck up. I need out.

I like Bulgaria, both the landscapes and the people. They like Americans, and they aren't sissys.

But if all the idiots would stop trying to destroy this country, I'd rather stay here.

Last edited:
Western Canada (Alberta or B.C.) or somewhere in Scandinavia. Australia or New Zealand would be another possibility.

If money wasnt an option it would be Switzerland. The country is just stunning and their approach to life is great. Stay neutral and out of evreyones shit, but let them know you will fuck them up in a second If they did start any shit.

I do want to go to Sweden, I'm built for that climate, love their metal, the women are hot and the swedes that I worked with at my previous job were cool as hell. So add that to my potential list.

What area of the island do you live ?

Id probably choose Finnland. Thats where my family is from, you can hunt, fish, do some wheeling, Plus you can own full auto. Also, I hate Ruskies :flipoff2:

My second choice would probably be Mongolia or maybe Nepal. Something about wheeling at 15000+ feet seems cool to me.

You're single right? Go to Thailand while the boners are still raging, Norway when you slow down Abit... haha:flipoff2:

Have a gf, but won't be married again. Yeah, the big difference between Norway and Thailand is that in Norway I don't have to pay for "attention". :laughing:

You're crazy. Gillam is dark, cold and too isolated in the winter. Summer brings mosquitoes, noseeums and huge horse flies. And it's surrounded my Indians.

Not going to lie, you had me at the first half. :D

It's funny when people cant comprehend when people enjoy clouds, and cold weather. I'm like you, I'm miserable in hot sunny weather and enjoy cold and cloudy areas and GASP even snow!!!!!

Top Back Refresh