What's new

Lithium Jump Pack

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
I have had a small jump box for 2-3 years.

Always worked good, no issues.

I have always been concerned with them so try to not leave it in my car or house.

Tonight I used it to jump a 4 cyl that has been sitting for a few months.

No big deal, it fires up and I set the jump box on the ground so I can move the car.

Move the car like 50 feet away and I hear a pop which seemed odd.

A few seconds later billowing smoke from the jump box, like a smoke bomb.

Thing burned for almost 2 mins.

Happen to anyone else?

BTW mine was never abused, never kept in a hot car, nothing.

yeah the first one I bought did that after a couple years. I tossed it away from anything and let it burn itself up. Kind of a bummer, it worked great up until then.:homer:

Never had one burn. But my first one did swell massively, scared the heck out of me. It’s really what pushed me to try out the capacitor-type starter packs. I did still put a lithium battery in my motorcycle, but it’s not really a high-current battery like a starter pack.

When I was safety manager for a fleet maintenance division we had 2 or 3 blow up, that they told me about, a year sending people to the hospital. Fuck those jump packs.

I don't trust 'em, I keep mine in an ammo can. At least if it pops it won't be fireworks all over.

Right. Because the tin can will be able to withstand 10000 psi :homer:

What you got there is a bomb instead of a flare. Remember the bruce willis asteroid movie?

I'm not looking forward to the day one of the underground mining batteries burns. Imagine 4000 lbs of that shit burning in an underground confined space with 200 men.

Never had one blow on me, but I am always a little nervous about them. I have a Microstart XP 10 jump pack that I have used to start many vehicles, the largest being my 2500 cummins. No issues yet, but Im not sure if the anti-gravity jump packs are different from the generic pep boys units?

xp10.jpg

I am not a fan of them anymore.

I love how they work but the spontanious combustion part is less than desirable. :homer:

I used to have one of the breifcase style ones, I am going to look into those as my next one.

If they use a normal AGM or Lead Acid battery then I will buy it, having it small was cool but not really important to me.

This event prompted me to look into the battery type of some of the shit I have laying around my house.

My Verizon Jetpack - lithium
My Cell phone - lithium
My JBL bluetooth speaker - lithium

Fuck me, the shit is everywhere

i use 20 v dewalt battery in a holder i made from an adapter. you can kill the battery if you run it down. i just hook it up for 30 seconds or so and fire it up.

I have a big jump starter on wheels that has a full size car battery in it for mostly at home use but it's easy to load in a pickup.. It works great. I bought a Noco lithium jump starter too because Tractor Supply had them clearance 1/2 price and I aint afraid of them just randomly blowing up while stored. The one that smoked out was after use several times in a row.

ETA: I've bought a few of the medium size battery jumpstarters, they work great for the first 2 to 3 years and then crap out at some point too, they just quit working well.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see how the charge/discharge circurty is set up. I use pretty beefy Lipos for my RC stuff, never thought about trying to jump my car with them...... What could go wrong? :homer:

I love how they work but the spontanious combustion part is less than desirable. :homer:

I used to have one of the breifcase style ones, I am going to look into those as my next one.

If they use a normal AGM or Lead Acid battery then I will buy it, having it small was cool but not really important to me.

This event prompted me to look into the battery type of some of the shit I have laying around my house.

My Cell phone - lithium

I've seen countless iphones with damaged displays from the battery swelling up. Almost all of the inflated phone batteries were either very old or charged with cheap no name charges or even counterfeit name brand chargers.

I have a big jump starter on wheels that has a full size car battery in it for mostly at home use but it's easy to load in a pickup.. It works great. I bought a Noco lithium jump starter too because Tractor Supply had them clearance 1/2 price and I aint afraid of them just randomly blowing up while stored. The one that smoked out was after use several times in a row.

ETA: I've bought a few of the medium size battery jumpstarters, they work great for the first 2 to 3 years and then crap out at some point too, they just quit working well.

I have the big Noco G26000 I keep under the seat of my truck. Never needed to use it though. Guess if I ever use it, I'll let it ride in the bed for a couple days.

My Cell phone - lithium

Note that there are many different types of lithium batteries. Lithium polymer are really high power density, but say right on the pack that you should charge them where they can burn AND you should stand there and watch them while they charge. I think those are the ones that burnt Lance's Winnebago.

I am looking for a Jump Box that takes a normal battery.

I use the fuck out of a jump box (happens a lot when you have more toys than time) as everything is always dead.

Any recommendations for a med quality non-lithium jumpbox?

Nothing I have is real big, 4 wheelers, boat engines, lawn tractors mostly.

I use the fuck out of a jump box (happens a lot when you have more toys than time) as everything is always dead.

I got lots of toys too, and I'm 100% sure I've more than paid for the battery maintainers I have bought and am using. Some come with chargers meant to be installed on your toys, and some have harnesses that can allow quick connect to an external charger.

Just sayin.

Oh, and don't buy the battery tender brand, I've had one go smokey poof on me, and have read about others online I think. I buy the NOCO Genius brand. At first they look goofy like they spent all their money on making stuff look cool, but they're a very old company and seem to have well engineered their stuff.

I got lots of toys too, and I'm 100% sure I've more than paid for the battery maintainers I have bought and am using. Some come with chargers meant to be installed on your toys, and some have harnesses that can allow quick connect to an external charger.

Just sayin.

Oh, and don't buy the battery tender brand, I've had one go smokey poof on me, and have read about others online I think. I buy the NOCO Genius brand. At first they look goofy like they spent all their money on making stuff look cool, but they're a very old company and seem to have well engineered their stuff.

Yes I had a few of the battery tender brand and had issues with them as well.

I wish I had a big enough shop to keep all my shit in or near but keeping power to them all doesnt work for me.

My next house will have a huge shop with lean to's off the sides with all my shit there, I am not there yet.

I had a Schumacher one WalMart had for right around 30 bucks that wasn't even very big and it worked great for a few years, eventually crapped out. They seem to do better if you use them regularly.

Any of the JumpNCarry brand work really well, most of the tool truck branded jump boxes are a rebadged JNC. I have a JNC4000 at work that's been great for the last 3-4 years. I bought it after my first lithium jump pack swelled up due to abuse.

We built our own for the shop, big ol' 12v battery on a hand truck + a trickle charger and jumper cables, I don't recall the group size off hand but I do know it'll crank a dead diesel pickup with ease.

Never had one blow on me, but I am always a little nervous about them. I have a Microstart XP 10 jump pack that I have used to start many vehicles, the largest being my 2500 cummins. No issues yet, but Im not sure if the anti-gravity jump packs are different from the generic pep boys units?

I had one of those a few years ago. It worked great for a year or two. then after starting a big block a few times one night and being left in a chair in the sun the next morning swelled up and didn’t work anymore.

I never trusted leaving it in my truck or plugged in inside the shop unsupervised.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBC90925

I have this..it was onsale for 70 bucks. I use it to jump my 98 f150 for the last 2 years about 5 days out of the month. The battery wont hold a charge for more than like 5 hours...

I leave the fuckin thing in the car..in the trunk..in the floorboard. I havent looked at it in a few weeks. The cars a insured pavement pounder i didnt even think of that catching on fire and burning it until this post...fuck it though

That’s the same model I had, and it swelled up. I was afraid to throw it in the trash, too. Ended up reading online that you can make them fully discharge by soaking them in saltwater, so I did that. Then I think I ran a few screws into it to make totally sure it was fully punctured and discharged.

Why not try one of these? It can crank over my v10 no sweat. And they’re totally inert when they’re not plugged in. Seems very safe to me.

Schumacher DSR108 12V 450A Battery less Jump Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAD97MJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6qV5EbY6JDKWP?tag=91812054244-20

I got a cheap one off amazon, now y'all have me nervous it's gonna start a fire. thanks!

I've been tempted by those, especially at 1/3-1/2 price of NoCo but I've resisted.

Having a jump pack would be nice but the feedback in this thread isn't very reassuring. Last week I pulled the battery out of my Tacoma to jump a dead car in a spot jumpers wouldn't reach.

I had bought a few from Lowes some years back. They were on clearance. Went from 80 each to about 25 so I figured NS bought 5 gave as gifts. Every single one swelled up like a balloon but still worked for a about a year or so. None left in cars or hot places. Or even constantly plugged in. All LI tech batteries. I have no idea why it had the reaction but I guess I am glad that I didn't have any that exploded as OP stated. Can someone educate me on whey the ones I had swelled up?

This is the one I have. I've used it to start everything from lawn mowers to class 8 trucks. Yes, a fuckin Kenworth. It will spin the shit out of 6 volt stuff too! Starts my boat after sitting all winter, then after I start whatever, , I plug it into the cigarette lighter to recharge it. I leave it charging unattended, in the truck, shop, even on the kitchen table while I'm gone.

I've melted a couple sets of jumper clamps, but it's easy to order replacements online. It charges your cell phones, will run your laptop, and I've even used it to power an iPad so some dude could read music and play guitar on the dock at Flamin Gorge one summer.

Top Back Refresh