What's new

Lithium battery replacement for 9.6V NiMh battery pack?

aczlan

Good Morning!
Member Number
Loc
Fingerlakes region of NY
We have a couple of older RC cars that take 9.6 volt nicad or NiMh battery packs, looking to get them back into functional condition for our youngest to run around with as they are relatively bulletproof.
Is there a off-the-shelf pack that could be used in place of one of the older ones and provide better run time and/or performance without frying the electronics?
IMG_20220125_213646.jpg

IMG_20220125_213713.jpg

Aaron Z

LiPo battery will be tough because you'll need an ESC with a Low Voltage Cutoff. You'll also need a charger specifically for LiPo batteries.

Your best bet would probably be just to get a direct replacement. You can look for something with a higher mah for longer run times, but typically that means the physical size of the battery is larger and won't fit in that stock location.

There's a set there.

Good point, I had forgotten about needing a cutoff, I guess it will just get a couple new NiMh batteries and a new (metal or UHMW) front bumper.

Aaron Z

Good point, I had forgotten about needing a cutoff, I guess it will just get a couple new NiMh batteries and a new (metal or UHMW) front bumper.

Aaron Z
I have 2 good 9.6v on my bench. Pm me an address and ill shoot them your way if you have not ordered any yet
20220129_173908.jpg

I have 2 good 9.6v on my bench. Pm me an address and ill shoot them your way if you have not ordered any yet
20220129_173908.jpg
Thanks, PM sent.

I got nothing useful to add but I had that exast same car as a kid. Its cool to see one that still runs.
Thanks, I hope to get a new bumper put together from UHMW this weekend (so a direct hit to the front of a wheel isnt possible) and see if any of the batteries we have will take a charge.

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh