What's new

Linde VI-400 welder with wire feed...

aczlan

Good Morning!
Member Number
Loc
Fingerlakes region of NY
Bought a pair of Linde V1-400 Power supplies with wire feeders. Supposedly setup for 220V.
Going to grab them Friday, any chance that they will be single phase, or are they most likely 3 phase?

Aaron Z

I know how to use Google. Have you heard of that website?

Some of the listings I'm seeing show 230/460 polyphase (not three phase and single phase, but dual voltage) input, others look like 460 only. Hard to see on the auction site pictures if they're usually three phase VS single (two) phase.

Got any pics of the machines or any other info to go on, or is the forum your misplaced Google search?

Lol.

Everything I found said 3 phase, but the auction said 220V, so I was hoping someone had run into a single phase version.
Auction pictures wouldn't save from my phone, had to get back to my desktop:
img.jpg

img.jpg

Wire feeder:
img.jpg

The plug looks a lot like a NEMA L15-30 (220V 3 phase):
img.jpg

A L15-30 for comparison: https://www.menards.com/main/electr...ocking-plug/l1530p/p-1444451185932-c-9525.htm
L1530P.jpg

Both welders come with wire feeders (either one of which is probably worth what the auction went for).

Aaron Z

Found the manual at: http://pdfmanuals.esab.com/private/Library/InstructionManuals/BrandsVictor/F-11-862-G.pdf
3 Phase only, 208-230 or 460V.
Will drag them up to work to verify if they work and then see about either flipping them, or doing a Haas-Kamp conversion on at least one of them.
It looks like they are wired somewhat similar to the Miller CP300, so that diagram should get me close on the conversion.
CP300TS conversion thread: Miller CP 300TS Haas Kamp Conversion And Questions

Aaron Z

So I bought these with the idea of flipping one, keeping the other one, converting it to single phase and having a welder that I could never run out of power with.
Over on Practical Machinist and SmokStak there's a fair amount of discussion on how to convert a large three phase welder such as this to single phase.
There is a "Hass-Kamp" conversion where you rewire the inputs of the transformer so that L1 and L2 feed the A and C phase of the transformer, then you use the appropriate capacitors from L1 to B and L2 to B and it's supposed to allow you pretty much full capacity out of the welder.
I asked Dave Kamp (one of those who came up with this method) on SmokStak what he thought of the possibilities of converting this particular model and posted the schematic from the manual.
His reply was:
Hi Aaron!

Wow... okay... so, mains come into an autotransformer in Delta and the output goes to a step down that is also delta... and that goes into the bridge rectifier, but not before passing TWO of those leads through FUSES???
The resistance ribbon on the autotransformer tells me they're using that as the enforcer of 'slope' character.

That's all so wierd, that if I were in industrial espionage, I'd write that off as being intentionally drawn wrong, so that anyone reading would be led astray from the 'real' design. Either that, or the draftsman was harnessing his inner Escher...

As for possibilities, I have no idea how well it would work. From a simple standpoint, running the autotransformer input as I explained the CP-series, the OTHER side operates in a sequence, however, it is doing so in quadrature... 90 degree alteration segments, rather than 120, so the output would be at a higher frequency by 4/3rds (80hz), and that step-down transformer might not like that at all... it's an inductive reactance element... so it will take empirical evidence to answer that firmly. I do know one thing... if you use too much capacitance on the input of the autotransformer, it'll melt out a primary winding really quick, so be careful and start at like... 15uF, and creep up slowly from there.
Given that, the fact that I hadn't realized quite how large or heavy they are, the fact that I don't really have enough room in the shop to store them and the fact that I have way too many projects as it is, I'm going to put them both up for sale (rather than just the one) and keep an eye out for something smaller (in the 200A range).

Anyone need a pair of 3 phase 230/460V DC welders with 100% duty cycles at 400A (better than an IH, it has ALL the doody cycles :grinpimp:) and wire feeders?
I can make you SUCH a deal, can even throw them on a pallet (or three) and you can have a truck pick them up if you want.
They "ran when parked" per the guy who loaded them (I said something about seeing if they worked and he assured me that they worked last he knew).

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh