What's new

"Like new" Jotul NG stove

I'd really like to know your summer cooling plans
Fans?

Were not in "The Valley" (Phoenix)

Our house is at 4600ft.

We lived years before putting AC on our first house here. Really just wanted a heater but a heat pump roof pack got us both.

Run it then

My buddy was just shopping for a wood stove and like everything, even used prices are out of hand.

I like that you feed the wood in long ways and they can take a regular 16-18" log, but are still compact. We used live in a small house that had a small wood stove, it kicked ass, but it would barely take a 16" log, which was always a pain in the ass.

#1 reason I would never do a small potbelly.
it's gotta take 18" logs or it's a PITA.

Looking for a vented propane stove for the cabin, came accross this "like new" Jotul that may work.

Its a GF 200 DV

It doesnt seem like the enamel/heat stains are right though....especially to be called "like new"

We bought a brand new Pellet Stove (Harman XXV) at our prior home and the enamel never discolored.

Potential issues?

They are asking $1200, (not gonna happen from me):barf:
Screenshot_20211128-075349_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20211128-075403_Facebook.jpg
WTF is the point of that thing? Just use a regular furnace so you aren't taking up the floor space and loosing heat through the "chimney". Get a wood stove if you want something like that.

WTF is the point of that thing? Just use a regular furnace so you aren't taking up the floor space and loosing heat through the "chimney". Get a wood stove if you want something like that.

furnace doesn't work without power.

furnace doesn't work without power.
So get power, it's nice to have lights and refrigeration. If you're already dependent on someone bringing water and propane, might as well get electricity delivered too. There are more efficient propane wall heaters that don't take power that don't take up a bunch of room, or send a lot of heat through the roof, like that thing in the OP does.
If you want a truly independent heat source, get a wood stove. That propane thing is a farce.

Furnace has a "chimney" also.

As mentioned, it doesn't require power. Our house had one when we bought it. I wouldn't buy one to install, but I'm not going to rip it out either. It's nice to run to warm up just the living room and not the bed rooms.

So get power, it's nice to have lights and refrigeration. If you're already dependent on someone bringing water and propane, might as well get electricity delivered too. There are more efficient propane wall heaters that don't take power that don't take up a bunch of room, or send a lot of heat through the roof, like that thing in the OP does.
If you want a truly independent heat source, get a wood stove. That propane thing is a farce.
I bring in my own water/propane.

Im not dependant on anyone except someone to sell me propane.

A few sticks, about a 2.5"×8" section of old chrismas tree trunk and its probably pushing 85° in the cabin :laughing:

20211208_185622.jpg

Still need to work on the door handle, I needed something that works before tomorrows temps drop to the mid 20s for a few days (the low)

It was an angle bracket I found laying around.

Installed the metalbestos piping/thru wall kit sunday.

Finished everything else today.

Ordering a cord of Juniper tomorrow, should last years, or rot away before I get to use it...

6 inch stove pipe? How much was it and the adaptor?

6 inch stove pipe? How much was it and the adaptor?
I got the stove pipe local for usual prices. I didnt need any adaptors.

I bought a 6" dampner, 48" pipe and two adjustable elbows. Eazy peezy

I got the stove pipe local for usual prices. I didnt need any adaptors.

I bought a 6" dampner, 48" pipe and two adjustable elbows. Eazy peezy
Im checking to see if arizona stove pipe prices are the same as washington state stove pipe prices. afaic double wall pipes always have a small adaptor right on the fireplace. They are about 4 inches long and cost $58 here, a 6 footer of 6 inch stove pipe was $140.

It had 14" on the closest side, I just angled it to try and get more distance. I know its not code, but low on room with the door there

Now it is 21" or better
16391798165403030644409915631567.jpg

Last edited:
just set a second piece of cement board along the walls

that relic is gonna eat a lotta wood compared to something modern
mine's similar, it's great for burning trash

just set a second piece of cement board along the walls

that relic is gonna eat a lotta wood compared to something modern
mine's similar, it's great for burning trash
You mean third?

I have two layers now.

Its doing better now that it is angled. Much less heat on the walls.

You mean third?

I have two layers now.

Its doing better now that it is angled. Much less heat on the walls.
whatever man
air gap between layers is important for blocking radiant heat, thus the additional one just sorta floating there, maybe spaced off the wall with a couple bricks

building code is such that they're expecting you to be using cedar shakes on the wall that's 18" from the flue

Point a box fan at it and call it good.

Most of your wall heat is probably from hot air taking its sweet ass time to GTFO.

whatever man
air gap between layers is important for blocking radiant heat, thus the additional one just sorta floating there, maybe spaced off the wall with a couple bricks

building code is such that they're expecting you to be using cedar shakes on the wall that's 18" from the flue
I see. I read about the air gap. Now that it is in, I can set it up a little better.

I literally had a two day window to work/find a stove/install.

20211211_173312.jpg

Found this bad boy on Marketplace in Glendale. Also stopped by the Castle Mega store on the way home (NSFW google 35%) :smokin:😈

No power required. Will use at night, and use the stove during the days.

The stove has been great, but doesnt run all night so waking up kinda sucks.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh