What's new

"Like new" Jotul NG stove

Trashman

Trainwreck
Member Number
Looking for a vented propane stove for the cabin, came accross this "like new" Jotul that may work.

Its a GF 200 DV

It doesnt seem like the enamel/heat stains are right though....especially to be called "like new"

We bought a brand new Pellet Stove (Harman XXV) at our prior home and the enamel never discolored.

Potential issues?

They are asking $1200, (not gonna happen from me):barf:
Screenshot_20211128-075349_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20211128-075403_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
If i was putting a heat source in a home right about now, it would be a wood stove.
Thats another option, looking for a small potbelly stove as well. The negatives are no thermostat.

So far we are 100% off grid here. Fuck APS!

Haul water to our 1500g tank (about $6mo to keep it topped off)

Propane for heat thus far, about $58 to fill

And a small solar setup (6 panels, 4 lith batt and a 3500 watt inverter)

Once the house is built the big question is, spend approx $25k for bigger solar, or hook up to APS....:mad3:

But anyhow, until then I need heat in the cabin.

Thats another option, looking for a small potbelly stove as well. The negatives are no thermostat.

So far we are 100% off grid here. Fuck APS!
there are several styles with bimetallic thermostats in the damper to maintain a setish temperature.

It's not gonna be one degree accurate, but you can leave it alone for 4-5 hours and it will mind itself after you get it up to temp.

look for an old vermont, real common feature.

there are several styles with bimetallic thermostats in the damper to maintain a setish temperature.

It's not gonna be one degree accurate, but you can leave it alone for 4-5 hours and it will mind itself after you get it up to temp.

look for an old vermont, real common feature.
Thats neat, never heard of that. Just the styles with the catalytic heaters in the top.

I want something like this, cant find one. (240 sqft, need small size)
images.jpeg-4.jpg

Thats neat, never heard of that. Just the styles with the catalytic heaters in the top.
it's a real simple system. basically a coil of bimetallic attached to an arm that moves the intake damper automagically.
has a lever on the side to pre load the coil to set the temp.

not super accurate, but keeps it running itself unattended pretty well until it runs out of fuel.

I want something like this, cant find one. (240 sqft, need small size)
images.jpeg-4.jpg
it's not really any smaller than a traditional flat top and you lose the ability to set a pot of water on it.

the only reason I would go true pot belly is if it could also burn coal.
but that only makes sense if you're near the coal and can get it cheaply.

edit:
I'd be looking for a skinny long flat top.
fits 16" logs, still has useable stove top, skinny.

I have enough dead Manzanita and scrub oak to last a while on my property. Or buy a cord of Juniper and burn for years.

Wood may be it.

That is far from like new. Looks like it was really overheated. Maybe they ran a ng stove on lp.

Plus that vent isn’t for that stove.

[Bill Clinton] "That depends what your definition of the word 'like' is" [\Bill Clinton]

Shithoused - it's like new, but different :laughing:

Where are you at? I have an old Jotul wood stove like this that you can have if you pick it up. It's old but little used, I pulled it when we bought the house and installed a pellet stove .

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 15
If i was putting a heat source in a home right about now, it would be a wood stove.
x2 on what Bunk says.

Jotul is good stuff and you can get replacement parts fairly easy. BUT that one definitely looks well used and abused.

Where are you at? I have an old Jotul wood stove like this that you can have if you pick it up. It's old but little used, I pulled it when we bought the house and installed a pellet stove .
Im in Central AZ.

I have almost that exact one in the house we bought. If that's worth $1200, than mine is worth $3k :laughing:

Unless they made an uncoated version?

I also agree with wood stove. Having to rely on propane delivery for heat seems completely against being off grid. Also, I'd be curious how much propane one of these would eat up with it being the only heat source.

We are getting ready to build hopefully within the year

we will be installing a wood stove
and wood heat just feels better for some reason

I'd be curious how much propane one of these would eat up with it being the only heat source.
The home I bought came with a Propane Stove made by Lopi and is a Direct Vent unit with adjustable output from 11K-37K BTU with a Thermostat that heats entire 1400 sq.ft. home. I run it adjusted in the middle of BTU range at about 23K BTU and Thermostat set to 68-70F degrees.

I use less than 600 gallons of Propane a year, I own my tanks (250g & 500g) tied together so maximum fill is 600 gallons @ 80% filled.

I hunt for the best propane price in late July to Early September when it is still Hot here as that's when prices are the cheapest for Propane.

This year I bought 563 gallons to fill my tanks and paid $620 which will last me a year, Only the heater is on propane and gets used mostly between October to March (maybe a little in April) Then it's No heater and Air Conditioning when needed between June to September.

So roughly half the year on propane with use less than 600 gallons every year for over 18+ years
Only came close to running out twice in that time but still had a few gallons left in each tank.

I was hoping to find a parlor style, but this will work

Those little things can crank out some heat.

Fwiw, the newer ones lined with bricks will be more even. An insulated stove will put of heat quicker, but also cool off quicker.

It was the right price/location.

Looks to be in great shape. Needs a new door seal, and a latch made. Just a simple piece of bar stock and bolt should work until I get my metal fab stuff up to the property.

Run it then

My buddy was just shopping for a wood stove and like everything, even used prices are out of hand.

I like that you feed the wood in long ways and they can take a regular 16-18" log, but are still compact. We used live in a small house that had a small wood stove, it kicked ass, but it would barely take a 16" log, which was always a pain in the ass.

Screenshot_20211202-194852_Facebook.jpg

Pretty basic latch setup. Wish they had it still.

Top Back Refresh