What's new

Lightweight hi lift alternatives?

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
I've always have a love hate relationship with hi lifts, I honestly usually don't even carry one on the trail. Gotten by with just a factory bottle jack type jack on all but a few occasions.

Lately its hard to get a group together to go wheelin, so we have been having my wife drive our 4runner and I'll take the Sami. So basically we need to be self sufficient with 2 rigs.

I have a hi lift but damn I feel like it's a huge weight penalty in the Sami :laughing:

I found this

https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/utv-sxs/

But it basically just looks like a shorter hi lift. It says less than 30 lbs, but from what I can find, the normal 48" is 33 lbs? :homer:

I've always wondered if anyone has tried to make a mostly aluminum one. I'm pretty sure it's very possible for lighter rigs.

How much do you want to spend to keep things light? King and FOA make those air shock quick jacks that are pretty cool.

Id probably skip the FOA version though. :laughing:

Or this if your just looking to blow stupid money....

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-h...paignid}_{adgroupid}_{keyword}_{targetid}_ARB 4x4 Accessories_ARB1060001_base_US&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI2fOeluK26gIVEdvACh3HnguqEAQYDCABEgJIbPD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!7836!3!273907665762!!!g!365198429933!&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - NTM - LIA&ecmp=s:google_1423067984_55636783613__pla-365198429933

:flipoff2:

I'm not a big fan of hydraulic jacks on the trail. Which is why I like the stock toyota "bottle" jacks that use some type of worm drive. Ive wanted to make a small base for one for a little more lift and stability.

Edit: the Arb one was the first one I came across. I don't barely have that much into the whole samurai :laughing:

Ive been curious about those big air bag deals. They have a lot of advantages over a normal jack. Like working in soft ground, being able to fit under a ~1" gap under a frame and should be stable in the sense where they can't really tip over.

Obviously they have plenty of downsides too, but they are interesting.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of hydraulic jacks on the trail. Which is why I like the stock toyota "bottle" jacks that use some type of worm drive. Ive wanted to make a small base for one for a little more lift and stability.

These. That’s all I’m carrying my next big trip. You can get them on eBay for $ 20-40 modify to suit your needs.

These. That’s all I’m carrying my next big trip. You can get them on eBay for $ 20-40 modify to suit your needs.

Damn $20-40? Fuck they came in every toyota from the 80s-2000s and maybe even more. I think Ford, and I'm sure others used something similar.

From experience they will barely change a 35-36 in stock form on flat ground.

I guess the H1/HMMWV scissor jack is touted as being a good option. Combine it with a Milwaukeeeeeeeeeeeee M18 impact for instant jacking action.

I've never seen one of those scissor jacks in person, they don't exist as surplus here, and most factory and aftermarket scissor jacks are absolute trash.

I guess the H1/HMMWV scissor jack is touted as being a good option. Combine it with a Milwaukeeeeeeeeeeeee M18 impact for instant jacking action.

I've never seen one of those scissor jacks in person, they don't exist as surplus here, and most factory and aftermarket scissor jacks are absolute trash.

Thanks, now I’m looking at these on eBay, and trying to figure out if it’s worth the $75-90. :flipoff2:

Edit: the Arb one was the first one I came across. I don't barely have that much into the whole samurai :laughing:

Ive been curious about those big air bag deals. They have a lot of advantages over a normal jack. Like working in soft ground, being able to fit under a ~1" gap under a frame and should be stable in the sense where they can't really tip over.

Obviously they have plenty of downsides too, but they are interesting.

A Toyota jack with a drill adapter would be bitchin

The 2 times I've seen the air bad things being used I was really impressed. They still seem dumb and gimmicky though.

The 2 times I've seen the air bad things being used I was really impressed. They still seem dumb and gimmicky though.

Can you not pick your samurai up by yourself? I've floped mine back onto its wheels and can pick the entire rear off the ground without to much effort.

but I'm really not sure I've ever used a jack on the trail. More likely some combination of ratchet strap to keep suspension from dropping and a boulder to drive up on and lift a wheel.

The Germans make an aluminum one for 1 million euros.
https://agm-products.com/collections...th-upgrade-kit
The Germans make an aluminum one for 1 million euros.
https://agm-products.com/collections...th-upgrade-kit

At first I thought that was cool.

They just make the main rail and handle out of aluminum and just put hilift parts on it. Kinda neat, but not for that price.

"66% lighter"? How about and actually weight:rolleyes: is it 66% the weight of a normal high lift? Or is it 34%?

​​​​​

Can you not pick your samurai up by yourself? I've floped mine back onto its wheels and can pick the entire rear off the ground without to much effort.

but I'm really not sure I've ever used a jack on the trail. More likely some combination of ratchet strap to keep suspension from dropping and a boulder to drive up on and lift a wheel.

Ya, you're probably right. :laughing:​​​​​​

The few times where a hilift really came in handy was something like jacking the rig sideways away from a rock or tree.

​​​​​​​It's more just for the piece of mind on trips where I got the whole family in 2 rigs out in the middle of nowhere.

Try welding some telescoping tubes to the bottom of a Toyota screw jack. Add a removable base plate to the bottom of one of the tubes. It would be pretty light and cheap.

Just make adapters like these for the Yota jack.

SJ37M-BJRK-6W_A.jpg

And a base plate like HydroDynamic mentioned above.

I have always carried a 60" in my toyotas, and a 48" in my tin top. Tin top went 1 trip and didn't need it. For 3 more pounds, I would carry a 48"

The feature you cant beat with the highlift is the ability to jack the truck up and drive off it to get unstuck or over something. I used it more for events like that then changeing a tire. I also agree with the toyota bottle jack thing and build a base for it so you can change bigger tires with it.

so you are saying to lift your tire up, so it is in the air.. and then moving your vehicle? I said this a long time ago, and I got flamed pretty hard for it..

Yea, I have done it a bunch, same with jacking it up and pushing it off. Fuck them, the people flaming need to realize not evreyone has an ultra 4 car and a support team to go with it, or they havent ever wheeled. When stuck you use evrey tool available. Its sketch and unstable as fuck but that's kind of the point to get unstuck. It's definately not my first choice.

Yea, I have done it a bunch, same with jacking it up and pushing it off.

I agree, jacking up and pushing off something is the primary use for a hi-lift for me. If the highlift is at an ever so slight angle, you won't even lift the truck, as soon as it loses ground pressure, it'll start sliding the way you want it to go.

If you pay attention and aren't an idiot, high lifts aren't sketchy.

If anyone goes this direction, make sure anyone using the jack stays clear of pinch points. I watched I guy remove his finger with a scissor jack and an impact gun once... it is amazing how fast they close with no load on the jack.

Top Back Refresh