What's new

Lightning Mcjeep

Small update, chopped up some stretched fiberglass fenders I found in my dads stash of race stuff.

This is what I cut out.
IMG_7573.jpeg

Final product painted in my fresh air paint booth, with the finest rustoleum paint, textured via the neighbors cotton wood tree. It’s a race car this were rough to start with and will probably only last a season or two anyways.

IMG_7574.jpeg

Corner of the hood for color reference, the body is a legit spray gun job done with a single stage paint two years ago so to have a rattle can that matches that close is pretty cool.

Rare evening update, didn’t get out here due to sick kiddos, wife said go get some shit done on her race car so I grabbed some beers and played body man for the night.

Made a DIY fiberglass finder kit out of some angle some sheet metal and some 1” ish tube to mount these things up.

IMG_7575.jpeg

Got the drivers side tacked on to see if it will look good enough for a race car.

IMG_7576.jpeg

Here you can see how I made these, simple but strong enough to hold up the mud that will pack into the fender.

IMG_7577.jpeg

Cut a little filler peice from the previous floppy piece of shit fenders to fill in a gap at the back of the fender. This jeep used to have a one piece flip up hood/grill/fender set up to it, but I didn’t like it. Once it packed full of the clay we run on it was 100 lbs and was always breaking.

IMG_7579.jpeg

The ex-machinist in me hates having wonky gaps and mismatches but there is a solid chance this turd ends up on its lid this summer so used and abused race car is the general theme.

IMG_7580.jpeg

Rinse and repeat on passenger side and just like that with the magic of TV you have a flat fender again.

IMG_7583.jpeg

After previously mentioned beers I had the guts to trim the rear body to clear the tires, it had always rubbed and the rear ended ended up a couple of inches back.

IMG_7584.jpeg

Doing fiber glass/body work is my least favorite but most visually gratifying work, but it’s messy and sucks.

IMG_7582.jpeg

And finally a view from the drivers seat with new mongo shock hoops and new fenders as a drink my last beer and make a post to a bunch of strangers on the internet, good night fellow nerds, more progress next week.

IMG_7585.jpeg

Yeah it was the start of the season, didn’t quite get it done in time, my dad went though. It was also the only race about five hours from my place. Our regular track is about an hour south of me and with young kids a shorter drive in the motorhome is better.

Big progress over the last weekend.

Got some China hood pins, threw half of their hardware out and just welded the posts to the X between the shock hoops, looks sharp and is ten times better than the previous set up.

IMG_7597.jpeg

IMG_7598.jpeg

They were a little long so knocked em down and bit and crossed another thing off the list.

IMG_7599.jpeg

Then I made a panel to keep the mud and sticks and shit from sneaking up and packing the radiator full of shit. At the last race that we missed my dad and my buddy both packed about 6 inches of dirt onto the rear radiator and over heated motors.

IMG_7601.jpeg

I want to make a bunch more aluminum panels to close out the sides of the radiator as well and cover the headers up front but that’s a time permitting thing.

Traded my old shocks for some labor from a buddy that does HVAC and he plumbed my rear radiator set up with copper tubing, he’s done four like this and as long as you wrapped them with rubber where they can rub on steel they are working slick and no corrosion issues.

IMG_7609.jpeg

I need to grab some more pictures of this but we are in thrash mode to get it done. The plan is to either wrap the pipes in a heat tape or make enclosures where the kiddos can accidentally grab onto them, this has been a big push around our scene, two kids grabbed hot headers last summer and ended up with nasty burns so we are collectively trying to cover hot spots.

More in next post.

While Adam was plumbing I was installing springs on the shocks, I guessed and used a spring rate calculator and nailed the front but the rear is soft and not are the desired ride height. Working to find some springs before the weekend if not I’ll move some springs around and crank on the preload.

IMG_7611.jpeg

IMG_7614.jpeg

IMG_7616.jpeg

IMG_7617.jpeg

Front is exactly where I want it at 8 inches of up and down, I expect to settle a little and also raise a little with nitrogen so it’s about right but the rear is sagging about two inches. Tempted to run butt down I still have 6 inches of up travel in the back but it will squirt hard I think and feel weird so I’d rather make some changes.

Then it was time to bomb some paint on this thing, my amazing wife who is all in on this racing stuff took this task on while I am at work the next three days, she would face time me and ask what needs painted and what needs masked and then killed it. She’s the best and I’m a lucky some of a bitch to have a wife that loves racing like me.

IMG_7621.jpeg

IMG_7622.jpeg

IMG_7628.png

Getting really close, Napa in town didn’t have brake lines to connect the frame to the links so I had to order those and I have to wrapped up the radiator plumbing and fill the steering still but we should be loading up and rolling out Friday.

It’s alive and wiggling, and I’m in deep shit for tearing up the yard…

IMG_7648.jpeg

Honestly I’m super lucky my wife gets it, we ride the kid quads in the yard all the time but this was a little over the top hahah. Got a little excited to have it out of the shop. Don’t judge me to much I am an ADHD unorganized mess haha.

IMG_7645.jpeg

Got it out and jammed the hose in the rad and disconnected the steam port hose and let it idle and bleed air out.

IMG_7647.jpeg

I plan to sleep in a bit for the first time since I cut this damn thing in half and then start packing the coach and load the Jeep to head out Friday. Thanks for all the feedback fellas 🤘🏻 I plan to update the thread still with racing pictures and other changes, we all know these things are never done.

IMG_7646.jpeg

All warshed up and loaded up to head south this afternoon after the wife is off of work.

IMG_0368.jpeg

IMG_7665.jpeg

And the schedule for any locals that want to come see some cool shit. Most weekends it’s a $10 spectator fee, and if anyone is serious about coming out send me a message and I can give you directions and an address. I will say it’s generally super hectic for us to get the kids ram and then the wife and I so I may not have a ton of time to shake baby’s and kiss hands but we love having new people out to see the races.

IMG_7147.jpeg

Weekend report. Not great. Not terrible.

It rained all day Friday, all night Friday, and drizzled most of Saturday so it was wet and the dirt we race on is a silt over clay so the silt packs into the tires and then it’s in top of clay so it’s a slip and slide until you can blue groove the clay again. Woke up Saturday to a pond outside the motorhome steps but luckily we didn’t unpack most of our outdoor camp stuff.

And on top of that I fought my coolant system, the hard pipe we ran to the back didn’t have anything for the hoses to bite on so I kept pulling the hose connections apart and letting all the water out. My buddy that made all the piping brought his torch set and the rod he used to weld it all so we pulled all the lines back off and welded a lip on all the connections and jammed it back together for my wife to catch the tail end of her class.

While we were bleeding the coolant system she was strapping in in the staging line and the radiator we have had for the last seven years that was used when we put it in shit the bed, it was leaking front and back from the tubes.

We are potentially building pressure in the system and im wondering if it’s a combo of a nasty old mostly clogged radiator and the coolant pipe runs right next to the header and im wondering if im boiling it right there, pictures of a new radiator and changes in the system to come later this week.

Anyways onto pictures because no one wants to read my incoherent ramblings.

Don’t mind my ugly mug, my daughter was the only one to get half a set of barrels in with Mcjeep and one of the coolant lines let go so we had to pull off.

IMG_0376.jpeg

Luckily the boy has made friends with everyone we race with so when we were walking back he got offered a few different drives and he settled on the truck that ended up taking 1 and 2 in the long class with a father son combo. Both my kiddos just steer while I run the pedals for them.

IMG_0381.jpeg

This is how my hunk of junk sat the rest of the weekend.

IMG_7671.jpeg

But that’s when the fun begins anyways because this is the best group of families on earth so we are and drank the rest of the weekend and hung out with our friends we haven’t seen since the end of last summer.

IMG_7672.jpeg

Made some food drank a shit ton.

IMG_7673.jpeg

We busted out the electric strider for my boy to ride on the RC car track, he’s only been riding this for about 6 months and was smashing berms and jumps and was feet up most of the track.

IMG_7679.jpeg

He ate shit a few times but he’s a tough son of a bitch and as long as there is a picture of him all sprawled out he laughs and keeps going.

IMG_7681.jpeg

My buddy Adam had a rougher weekend than I did, his wife went out and smoked a tree and exploded an aluminum beadlock, he swapped on a spare and then went out and smoked the same tree and had it way worse. He split a second aluminum beadlock, bent three out of four shock shafts, ripped a trailing arm mount out of the 14 bolt, split the axle tube and it slid back and wiped out the fuel cell can. We are all sick in the head so he was ordering brackets off of Barnes during the trophies presentation and we will most likely scramble the jets and do a few all nighters to have it back out in two weeks.

IMG_7683.jpeg

That trailing arm normally lives under the axle we strapped and blocked it up on top of the tube to hold the wagon up to get it on the trailer.

IMG_7682.jpeg

He’s active on the gram at wickedwillysfab if you want to see more on his wagons, race wagon is coil over and bypasses, tons, and a 408 stroker LS. Trail wagon is small block tons and 42 inch iroks and he drives it like an ass hole.

IMG_0410.jpeg

Anyways overall it was a great weekend racing even though the wife and I never even strapped in all the way. Hope you guys dig the weekend reports because most weekends have similar outcomes, if not to damn bad this is a my little corner of the internet Hahaha. Cheers fellas. 🤘🏻🇺🇸

So with lots of fiends and lots of alcohol we brain stormed why our Jeep was overheating and blowing the connections on the coolant lines off.

One theory which was fixed was that the connections were smooth with no lip, so Adam (same guy that made the lines and wickedwillysfab on IG) and I pulled it all apart and cleaned it up and brazed a lip on all the coolant lines.

Another one I had is the pipe runs right under the header on the passenger side, I thought maybe it was close enough to be boiling the coolant and making it steam and pressurize the pipe.

First step was I wrapped the coolant pipe in an old Kevlar shield for welding.

IMG_7713.jpeg

IMG_7714.jpeg

Then I made an air gap style shield out of a piece of exhaust pipe and tacked it to the header.

IMG_7716.jpeg

IMG_7715.jpeg

Then I pulled the old radiator that let go in the staging lanes with my wife in the Jeep. I can’t imagine why it would have let go… it’s had a hard life.

IMG_7717.jpeg

New rad should be here today.

When I decided to go rear rad I knew I wanted a fire wall to keep rogue hot coolant off of humans in the Jeep, my kids drive this and burning them is one of my biggest fears with the Jeep, headers hot coolant, I do everything I can to shield the heat from willow hands.

IMG_7718.jpeg

I plan to be as paneled out as I can be but the air flow goes between the seats.

More tomorrow.

Yeah Adam and I grew up racing together and have been friends a long time, our kids are growing up together racing to so it’s really cool. He’s one of those guys that when he comes up in line most people try and watch because it will either be fast or one hell of a show.

He’s been thrashing to get it back together as long as the brackets for the new axle show up.

Our new rad is in and bled.

IMG_7720.jpeg

When I moved the orbital I had to make a new pressure feed line and I don’t think I got the right hose as it started to leak and I couldn’t get it to seal. Went to replace it today and stripped the rebuildable fitting so off to the Tacoma Napa machine shop and get them to swedge some ends on a new hose.

IMG_7722.jpeg

Gonna rip it around the neighborhood tomorrow to make sure everything is good to go. Next race is next weekend.

Last weekend went a bit better, coolant system is good to go. Ran our two kiddos and a nephew through the obstacle course, nephew lost power steering on the barrels. Luckily we are all equipped and have spares for that since it’s so common, a couple club members and I changed a pump in about 15 minutes.

IMG_7775.jpeg

IMG_7776.jpeg

Then we got the wife all strapped in for her lap, I rode with her so I could feel the new suspension on a hot lap. About 1/3 the way around we heard a snap crackle bind pop and spun out in 2wd, I got her to pull it off the track popping and grinding and I hoped out to find this.

IMG_7730.jpeg

For a long time these race Jeeps got away with smaller light weight parts but she found with the new suspension and speed the limits of a dana 20 transfer case, I broke the front output shaft on one last summer but I hadn’t seen a case explode like that.

So I wondered around camp to see if anyone had a spare and when I came up empty it was beer time and brainstorm the next move.

A buddy had a 205 with the adapter for a turbo350 laying in his shop so I went and grabbed that yesterday, and my wife who felt pretty guilty for another weekend where I didn’t get to race offered to help in the shop last night so we grabbed some beers and got to work. She pulled the busted dana 20 while in her summer dress haha.

IMG_7780.jpeg

This morning I went back out and started getting the 205 jammed up in there and messing with making a new crossmember.

IMG_7777.jpeg

IMG_7782.jpeg

The old crossmember was hard mounted at the frame side and had a bushing under the adapter, I’m gonna hard mount the adapter and put bushing ends where it mounts on the frame this time.

Got the tube bent and it was time for me to head in, more tomorrow morning.

IMG_7781.jpeg

Did you catch air? Was she on the gas when she landed? We trashed a transmission and transfer case doing that. Upgraded the part, and tried to pay attention a little better.

Hard to say, it was over a jump but it didn’t feel like a crazy on the throttle landing. But we were hauling ass so there’s a chance haha.

More work on the 205 this morning, got it whipped up and welded out. Mounts to the bottom of the adapter and I made an extra hoop to both protect the case hanging down and pick up some holes on the back to help support it. Adam recommended I also pick up two bolt holes on the passenger side so I’ll make a quick mount for that and get this Jeep put back together.

IMG_7784.jpeg

IMG_7785.jpeg

Complete with a sparkly black paint job that no one will ever see.

IMG_7786.jpeg

I would throw some gussets on the sides of the trans mount stand. Even 1/8" would make it a lot stronger.

I would throw some gussets on the sides of the trans mount stand. Even 1/8" would make it a lot stronger.
You can’t see it in the pictures but there is one In between the bolts underneath it.

I’m gonna add a kicker to the two bolts on the far passenger side of the case as well, I don’t want this heavy ass pig to break the tail housing off the trans.

I’d love to race this thing one of these weekends haha.

Race report:

Best race we have had yet, kids both got three runs Saturday and my daughter got two seconds and a third, my son took first place on all three courses! He’s four and he’s getting really good at reacting to the Jeep turning and where it needs to be on the track.

My wife absolutely killed it, she had so many people come up and say “It’s about time Craig got a Jeep to stay under we knew you would be fast”.

I finally got to drive this thing and it felt so good to drive the shit out of it! Jeep held up great only thing I did Saturday was bump the idle up a little and do a TPS reset to help Megan.

Photo dump.

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_7865.jpeg

IMG_7868.jpeg

IMG_7869.jpeg

Yellow Jeep is one of my best friends, we grew up racing together and he’s the one that helped with the rebuild of McJeep. Wickedwillysfab on the gram.

IMG_7872.jpeg

IMG_7873.jpeg

IMG_7874.jpeg

IMG_7875.jpeg

Sunday was team relay, three teams of four, so three rigs on the track at a time. It’s a blast every once in a while you end up in traffic for some real wheel to wheel action and you never know where the other teams are time wise.

We advanced our first round and I drove the jeep harder than I have ever driven before. One of my team mates smashed a berm had a ouch to lose a u-joint, since he’s one of my other best friends I had him just run the first of our four laps in our jeep then we driver swap and I ran the fourth and final lap. He had a super clean lap, driver swap went smooth Jeep wasn’t hot so I lined back up for my lap. Once my other team mate came through the gate I took of like my ass hole was on fire, made two turns went over a jump and made half of the next turn and the passenger side ball joints let go.

IMG_7871.jpeg

All the new shiny parts are fine and between my self and Adam I have parts and will be back together for the next race.

It took a combo of a skid steer and the Jeep in reverse to get it loaded on the trailer.

IMG_0831.jpeg

I have some crude go pro footage I’m gonna try and upload to YouTube to post on here but fixing the Jeep is priority over fiddling with videos haha

Almost all of the racing we do it time trials based so it’s mostly one or two rigs on the track at a time. My kiddos are 2-4 and they lap drive, so they sit on my lap while I run the gas and brake and they steer. We both wear helmets and I run the laps belts over both of us. For the lap drivers they mostly run half laps to keep them short.

Next year my son will be big enough for one of those drop in booster seats for suspension seats and some pedal extensions and he can drive himself.

PNW4WDA racing.

Google it or a YouTube search pulls up a site and some videos.

The schedule is a page or two back.

Top Back Refresh