What's new

lightning causing lights to flash on

brantb

Member Number
Loc
combat city, CO
Last night I was trying to go to sleep, and out of no where the the lights in the room flash on for an instant with a weird static crackle. Both me and my wife are wonder what is up, then probably 10-15 seconds later we hear thunder. It happened a few more times. I was always told as a kid that the number of seconds between lighting and thunder is how far away it is, so assuming my house wasnt struck directly.

I have never seen this happen before. Is there an issue somewhere? It is a new build, and i am less than happy with the electrical work, so i wouldnt doubt if something was done wrong.

Ive had similar happen when 1 leg drops power... things go dim or flash. I isually run and turn the main breaker off

Ive had LED lights do the flicker thing after a close hit to a tree outside the house. It was one specific circuit that took the hit, it seems. The lights would have a 3 second flash after that lol. I think we lost a modem as well, but luckily nothing else.

Cannot say I have seen something like that from a distant lightning strike though.

I would be checking your ground!

Lighting may have struck the powerline somewhat and caused a surge. LEDs take a small enough amount of current and the individual bulbs are low enough voltage that they'll light up with relatively small surges and electrical fields that wouldn't cause a florescent or incandescent light show anything.

The lightning to thunder delay is 5 seconds per mile of distance, FYI.

And I agree, check your house for proper grounding. Also call your local PUD and report this as it could be an issue with their protective relays.

LED lights do funky shit anyway. Ours will flicker momentarily after being shut off and also do some weird flickering from time to time when they are on.

Ditto on the grounding. I've seen maybe two instances where the neutral was grounded inside the sub-box, supposedly the proper wire wouldn't fit in the conduit back to the main.

LED lights do funky shit anyway. Ours will flicker momentarily after being shut off and also do some weird flickering from time to time when they are on.

Ceiling fan in my room has them and every once in a while they will go out then come back on

shouldnt be. 2 years ago it was a farm field that i drove by. I will look for some grounding rods. I dont recall seeing any, but i would assume there is at least a ground wire to the water line.

Where do you think the farmers buried their stuff at?

We had a brown out a while back. All my lights are led so I had half ass lights while the rest of the neighborhood was dark

If you house is only 2 yrs old, it will have a Ufer ground. The ground is tied to the rebar in you foundation or footings.

Top Back Refresh