What's new

Lever Gun Thread

Had a couple of these at the other place, they had some fun information.

This is what my shelf if looking like as of today. Top to bottom,
1980's Browning BLR .308,
1960's Savage 99 .300 Savage,
1940's Winchester 94 .32 Win Spc,
1910's Savage .303 Savage

This is the one I just picked up the other day, Leupold 3-9x sitting on top, it was $650 because it has some wear and is an 80's Japanese build instead of the $800 clean belgium version next to it on the shelf. Really nice and smooth, looking forward to putting rounds through it and happy to own something in .308, the round that still seems to be everywhere despite all other 'shortages'

Box magazine and modern machining and design for the bolt make a serious difference compared to the earlier levers

https://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_BLR.htm

I love a BLR.

photo26455.jpg
Not my pic but this is my favorite lever gun and the only one I have kept. BLR takedown stainless in 308. Mag fed, takes down to fit anywhere, moa accuracy with green and yellow Remington 150 gr and rust proof.

I have one just like this down to the leather sling and 4x Weaver. It was my Dad's, and it's slain many a deer. I haven't shot it in many years, and it just sits in a sock at the back of my safe, but it's very accurate with modern ammo, and handles like a dream.
Winchester-88-308-Win_101249905_326_1F008356796D6079.jpg

2017-10-14%2B08_43_21-WINCHESTER%2BMODEL%2B250%2BRIFLE%252C%2BLEVER%2BACTION%252C%2B.22%2BCAL.jpg
And the first gun I had was this one, it was a present from my Dad. Needs some work now due to the thousands of rounds I put through it, hammer doesn't always make good contact. I should fix it up. He bought it at a pawn shop in Vegas when we lived in California and sanded down the furniture and re-stained it in linseed oil. Loved that gun, especially shooting shorts, you could get like 25 of em in the tube. :laughing:

Added a few more to the collection.
Picked up a beat up Henry 22. Sanded the dings out of the wood and stained it gray. The barrel cleaned up better than I thought it would. Not bad for $100.

Also got my great uncles Winchester 30-30. Still need to look up what year it is but it’s in good condition.

F9CA248E-2834-435F-995C-97A435624F24.jpeg

B477D2BF-B3AB-447F-B987-A45846B6D3E0.jpeg

2F223920-0286-4380-AC4C-A585A4C67E8C.jpeg

Also got my great uncles Winchester 30-30. Still need to look up what year it is but it’s in good condition.

Take a picture of the floorplate, just forward of the lever. If there is a screw there then it's a pre '64...

I need to grab some pictures, but I've got my great-great grandfathers saddle ring carbine 1894, bought new in Machias, ME in 1910, .32 Win Special. It's well loved but the history on it is awesome to me.

Picked up a Rossi in .45 Colt a while back because I'm a dork that wanted something to go with my SAA clone. Feels really nice, handles awesome. I hate the thought of putting a light on it and making it tacticool, but its a nice piece to walk the property with at night.

I have been looking at 30-30 Winchester lever guns for a long time. What's better about the rifle if its a pre 1964?

I feel that this may be a rhetorical question on your part but... Post '64 Winchesters will have a lot of stamped steel parts (such as the loading gate and much of the internals) instead of the legacy of machined parts along with many other cost cutting efforts. Generally not the same quality or desirability as pre '64 to some.

I feel that this may be a rhetorical question on your part but... Post '64 Winchesters will have a lot of stamped steel parts (such as the loading gate and much of the internals) instead of the legacy of machined parts along with many other cost cutting efforts. Generally not the same quality or desirability as pre '64 to some.

More of a informational question than rhetorical, so thanks for the information. I don't know that much about them, just like those cowboy guns. When I get serious, I will narrow my search to pre 1964.

I have a couple, need a 1894 or two in .357 and 44

'76 Marlin 336 35 Rem
'95 Marlin 1895 45-70
Henry H001 in .22

I love lever guns.

For that kinda money I'll snag an old winchester that hasnt been a truck gun for 50 years:laughing:

So what are the common mods for these?

I have a Marlin 30-30. It has maybe been shot once. Not being a bitch or anything, but the cocking lever has some sharp ass edges. Do people typically just wrap it in leather like in the western movies?

Currently I plan to keep it as irons-only. I might toss a 4x on it at some point and use it for deer hunting, but that is TBD.

I might have my old man set me up with some leather goods for it since he does leatherworking :)

So what are the common mods for these?

I have a Marlin 30-30. It has maybe been shot once. Not being a bitch or anything, but the cocking lever has some sharp ass edges. Do people typically just wrap it in leather like in the western movies?

Currently I plan to keep it as irons-only. I might toss a 4x on it at some point and use it for deer hunting, but that is TBD.

I might have my old man set me up with some leather goods for it since he does leatherworking :)
You can take it apart and smooth up the moving parts. Change out springs if you want to. Using a bench grinder and then fine grit sandpaper to reshape the hump in the hammer does as much as anything.

I can’t find the write up I used in the past. This one has a decent picture of what you want the end result to be though.

Top Back Refresh