What's new

Lets talk about forums and groups ....

It's a catch 22. You can reduce forum subs to less specific topics and include tagging to let people easily sort, but at the same time most people won't bother and will bitch about a lack of specific sub forums. Best thing you can do is include as much as was active from PBB and reduce it over time as needed.

I thought this was a joke thread.

A forum specifically created to stave off the new hotness asks if it should ape the new hotness?

No.

I stand by my prior statement. The tech forums should be gen4x4, newb4x4, domestics, imports, jeeps, shop/tools and tow rigs/trailers. Most of the content in the brand specific forums on the old site was build threads and people having discussions about things on those build threads. It's not like we're going to get overwhelmed with threads if we condense forums and reducing the number of forums makes it less likely people will miss out on cool shit.

Meh just leave it brand specific. Have a Jeep forum and the newbie jeep forum and the XJ forum and a TJ forum, etc was retarded. Especially given the lack of content being posted in any of them.
If you are trying to help someone figure out a problem, it helps if you know what you are working with. 80% of the posts on FB about an issue are immediately followed with "can you tell us the year make, and model? I'm pretty good with a few things, I know nothing about the JL JT platforms. OTOH, if you build a forum/sub forum for each model, it gets pretty ridiculous.

: jeep people can't think outside their bubble than an LS swap into a JK just might be similar to an LS swap into an LJ ?

Apparently non Jeep people struggle with that concept as well.

Forum format less subs. I’m still here because I hate groups. Seriously, I hate FB Insta Twatter. All of it.

Another vote for Forums.

The separate Jeep forums make sense to me in that an MB or AMC era CJ-5 is not even on the same planet as a JK when vehicles are remaining close to stock with mild upgrades. Some of the knowledge is very model specific. The old Willys forum was viable because the guys who live and breathe Willys would check in there and the topics would be seen before they got pushed to the bottom. The LS swap, Fodees, and tons crowd is not even going to click on a member asking about a Dana 18 unless they are going to suggest an Atlas swap. Once a Jeep (or any other vehicle) gets to a certain point of hardcore they all turn into a very similar rig and that's where Hardcore and Gen 4x4 come in.

I stand by my prior statement. The tech forums should be gen4x4, newb4x4, domestics, imports, jeeps, shop/tools and tow rigs/trailers. Most of the content in the brand specific forums on the old site was build threads and people having discussions about things on those build threads. It's not like we're going to get overwhelmed with threads if we condense forums and reducing the number of forums makes it less likely people will miss out on cool shit.

X2. The more threads get combined the more exposure each one gets, more exposure = more responses = forum growth. I've heard countless times "nobody posts in the ____ section anymore, this place is dead!" on other forums that have as many sub sections as they do regular users...

I like the idea of the forums .... but I don't think 206 subforums is necessary. A few people already suggested a little bit better/smaller grouping. I'm inclined to agree there.

I am leaning towards "forums"

On a side note, the "stolen riig/parts" forum. Does anyone actually even look at that? I dont think I ever did on PBB... it not like I ever said to myself, huh....wonder whose rig got stolen?

I looked at it every time it got bumped. Having had a rig stolen I figured if I can help somebody recover theirs its worth the 1 minute to look at it when it gets bumped.

keep this old school forum. if they want their social groups they can use FB

This^ all day long. I think you did a great job and shouldn't over think it. If people keep asking for shit and you keep changing things and adding shit it's going to end up in the dump. Trust your instincts. They are spot on so far.

I looked at it every time it got bumped. Having had a rig stolen I figured if I can help somebody recover theirs its worth the 1 minute to look at it when it gets bumped.

Same here, It could just be a thread in chit chat that gets bumped everytime there is an incident or news. This is what I mean when I say don't over think things.

I like this with an added forum for non-offroad builds. There were alot on PBB in general chit chat and scattered in other sub forums that were nice to follow but hard to keep track of where all of them were.

I think this is a good breakdown.

Duane

I think that I remember that from Cary's stove purchase. Didn't you send a check?
If we're talking about the same thing:

Cary's into cast iron cookery, and I was looking for a waffle iron; either he never found what I was looking for, or he got the C thus ended that search.

Forum. Thats why we are here.
Not a big fan of many sub forums, spreads things out too much and unless you are into a specific brand/whatever you miss out on some good content because you don't go looking there regularily.

Alex.

IMO the Jeep sub forums should be like the old Pbb. Hardcore and non hardcore. You build a CJ, TJ, YJ or JL on tons & 40s, Hardcore. You put a lightbar on your JL, non hardcore.

Anybody building a tube chassis Jeep, back half, ect should post in General 4x4 IMO.

Yep

The JK/JL guys are already whining about it. They think they need their own section for lightbar and sticker installs. :lmao:

Like I said....... Hardcore and Non-hardcore is all we need. If everybody starts posting Jeep topics in 7 different sub forums the info is going to get lost in the mix.

Forum. Thats why we are here.
Not a big fan of many sub forums, spreads things out too much and unless you are into a specific brand/whatever you miss out on some good content because you don't go looking there regularily.

Alex.

And this! I missed a bunch of cool builds on Pbb over the years because they were lost in sub forums.

Top Back Refresh