What's new

Lets talk about Dirt Track racing

tribal4krawler

DKA Motorsports
Member Number
Talking with SLOWPOKE693 the other day really got me thinking about dirt track. I'm in the process now of rebuilding the 4500 Ultra4 Comanche, but I've daydreamed about getting back into dirt track racing. There's a few tracks within a couple hours of my house and seems to be pretty healthy fields. back about 10-12 years ago I briefly got into 305 Race Savers and Mini Sprints for a little bit, but I was working offshore and rarely was able to make any of the sprint races so i ended up selling both cars. Really enjoyed them, but realize there's a pretty high risk involved with racing open wheel. I'm still super enticed by 305 RaceSavers, but I want to pick yall's brains about Street Stocks, and modifieds. My thought is that by the time i spend modified money, i'd much rather be back in a Sprint, but if i can spend 5-10k on a street stock ready to race and go out and have fun every weekend i feel like racing, it'd totally be worth it. What do you guys recommend as far as street stock class (hobby, limited, outlaw, factory seem to be some of the classes i've seen). For Modifieds it seems like if i went that route I'd want a Sport Mod, seems like that's the "cheapest" modified option.

TLDR version - i want to race 305 racesavers again, but don't want to invest the 20-30k for an average level car right now, is it worthwhile getting into a street stock and if so, what class should i aim for.

10708575_658664674248909_3095439840272265016_o.jpg

Sprint cars come in 3 different classes, 305 (which is a sealed 305ci v8 usually making around 400ish hp), 360 which makes around 700hp, and the big dawg 410s which are upwards of 900 hp which is also the motors that the World of Outlaws run. It's an absolutely insane ride in a 1400-1550lb car (with driver). The 305 RaceSavers are super popular here in Texas and always a really big crowd draw. I want one again bad but a realistically competitive used car is around 20-30k which combined with my 4500 comanche build is a pretty tough commitment right now.

Come up here and buy my sport mod 😃

If you went open mod you might as well go late model or 410 sprint.
I ram sport mod for a few years. It’s fun and won’t break the bank. On nights when it was super slick we ran within a couple 10th of the mods. In my area sport mod was bringing 20-40 cars every night before they fucked with the rules for 2022. I hated the rules and didn’t even race in 22.

My fav track closed so I’m just selling out. I can’t afford to go up to open mod and be competitive. I refuse to just run around to be racing. If I can’t be competitive it’s not worth the massive amount of work it takes. Our open mod is UMP, the fields aren’t huge (15-20) but super competitive. Like paid crews and stacker trailers.

We do have some killer sprint tracks around here and Ohio sprint speedweeks is awesome. Kyle Larson on the wall wide open and never lifting the entire lap is a thing of beauty.

I love it, it’s addictive and the actual time in the car can be replaced. The 40+ hours a week gets old. The lack of shocks and tires and misc back order parts was ultra annoying.

How hard are the sprint cars to drive? If someone has never been in one how would it be trying to run some practice laps if they don't generally suck at driving?

I'm very seriously considering going this route and probably will.

Fuck, they essentially priced me out of amature UTV racing this season. The Outlaw Series here in TX wants $690-$740 a race before I even leave my driveway, and the track is now 2.5hrs away from my house instead of the 50min it used to be. That money is for 2 people Fri/Sat to get in the gate @ $180. 2 nights of camping with power & water @ $250. Practice on Friday @ $60. And a single amature class entry is $200 in advance (non refundable) and $250 at the track. That doesn't include tow rig fuel, food for the weekend, race car fuel, tires or race prep. Nope, all set.

I could sell my golf cart to some rich fuck who thinks they are the next Robby Gordon and go buy a really nice turn key dirt street stock and still have money left over. The only drawback to that is not being able to turn right:laughing: or send it over an 80' tabletop like I did in the golfcart. That shit is beyond fun!:smokin:

How hard are the sprint cars to drive? If someone has never been in one how would it be trying to run some practice laps if they don't generally suck at driving?

The seating position is weird and I'd have a hard time with that personally. It's more like city bus driver seating and steering wheel position and nothing like a normal race car.

The seating position is weird and I'd have a hard time with that personally. It's more like city bus driver seating and steering wheel position and nothing like a normal race car.
Yep wheel is super flat, throttle is straight down. Kinda awkward.

Yep wheel is super flat, throttle is straight down. Kinda awkward.

Yeah it’s strange at first, your legs are basically right under you, not stretched out in front. I started with the mini sprint (600cc sport bike engine) and then did the 305, to me the 305 was easier to drive.
I have a racing thread on here somewhere in chit chat.
I found and read through your thread, out of curiosity why didn’t you ever get any sponsors? Seems like that could have helped you out some getting sponsorships. Im going to the dirt track when I get back from Norway to poke around some cars but I’ve just about made up my mind that I’ll get a street stock for an “inexpensive” foray back into dirt track and if I end up digging it and not getting burned out on it instantly I’ll sell some more of my other junk and get a 305 race saver again.

Yeah it’s strange at first, your legs are basically right under you, not stretched out in front. I started with the mini sprint (600cc sport bike engine) and then did the 305, to me the 305 was easier to drive.

I found and read through your thread, out of curiosity why didn’t you ever get any sponsors? Seems like that could have helped you out some getting sponsorships. Im going to the dirt track when I get back from Norway to poke around some cars but I’ve just about made up my mind that I’ll get a street stock for an “inexpensive” foray back into dirt track and if I end up digging it and not getting burned out on it instantly I’ll sell some more of my other junk and get a 305 race saver again.
Sponsors are rare around here because of the economy. Damn near all of the cars with big money sponsors are their family business. My buddy has multiple track championships and over 100 wins the past three years and has zero sponsors. It really makes it tough when its all out of pocket.

Street stocks are trying to make a come back around here but its a struggle. 95% of them are essentially a full tube chassis so guys just end up going with a modified. The outlaw streets running late model tires are awesome and always put on a show but promotors rarely run them. Its all FWD 4 bangers around here that bring the big car counts in the "budget" classes.

Good luck in your racing adventures!

Talking with SLOWPOKE693 the other day really got me thinking about dirt track. I'm in the process now of rebuilding the 4500 Ultra4 Comanche, but I've daydreamed about getting back into dirt track racing. There's a few tracks within a couple hours of my house and seems to be pretty healthy fields. back about 10-12 years ago I briefly got into 305 Race Savers and Mini Sprints for a little bit, but I was working offshore and rarely was able to make any of the sprint races so i ended up selling both cars. Really enjoyed them, but realize there's a pretty high risk involved with racing open wheel. I'm still super enticed by 305 RaceSavers, but I want to pick yall's brains about Street Stocks, and modifieds. My thought is that by the time i spend modified money, i'd much rather be back in a Sprint, but if i can spend 5-10k on a street stock ready to race and go out and have fun every weekend i feel like racing, it'd totally be worth it. What do you guys recommend as far as street stock class (hobby, limited, outlaw, factory seem to be some of the classes i've seen). For Modifieds it seems like if i went that route I'd want a Sport Mod, seems like that's the "cheapest" modified option.

TLDR version - i want to race 305 racesavers again, but don't want to invest the 20-30k for an average level car right now, is it worthwhile getting into a street stock and if so, what class should i aim for.
What sanctioning body are your local tracks running under for modifieds and stocks? All my local tracks are IMCA. If you buy used stuff and not high end parts you might be able to get a hobby stock on the track for 5-10K. If you really want to be competitive, no way you will get off that cheap. It looks like a new 602 crate engine is 6500+ now.

10708575_658664674248909_3095439840272265016_o.jpg

Sprint cars come in 3 different classes, 305 (which is a sealed 305ci v8 usually making around 400ish hp), 360 which makes around 700hp, and the big dawg 410s which are upwards of 900 hp which is also the motors that the World of Outlaws run. It's an absolutely insane ride in a 1400-1550lb car (with driver). The 305 RaceSavers are super popular here in Texas and always a really big crowd draw. I want one again bad but a realistically competitive used car is around 20-30k which combined with my 4500 comanche build is a pretty tough commitment right now.
what is meant by sealed?

They put special bolts on the intake, cylinder head, timing cover and oil pan so you can't take it apart and modify anything with out the officials knowing.
special bolts that can be purchased off of amazon and ebay :laughing::laughing:

the sealed crate classes are mostly a joke unless its one of the pro late model crate series. They take the winners engine and usually 2nd and 3rd and send them to be tore down to verify they are legal.

the newest crates have RFID laser etched in the bolts and are a little harder to cheat up.

is there more than one place to get the engine from.
Yes, race engine builders go through an approval process from the sanctioning body to be an approved 305 builder. They spec things like cylinder head PN's and intakes that have to be used unmodified. There are still things that can be done, but the engines are very limited.

special bolts that can be purchased off of amazon and ebay :laughing::laughing:

the sealed crate classes are mostly a joke unless its one of the pro late model crate series. They take the winners engine and usually 2nd and 3rd and send them to be tore down to verify they are legal.

the newest crates have RFID laser etched in the bolts and are a little harder to cheat up.
Sure, cheating always happens. I've working in a number of engine shops building for a bunch of different series, so it pains me to say this, but usually someone would be better off learning to drive better then getting a few more HP.

when I did a quick google search yesterday I came across this:

$25,900 for a "crate" motor. I get racing is expensive, but I was figuring this was more of the 602 / 604 crate type thing.

Yes, race engine builders go through an approval process from the sanctioning body to be an approved 305 builder. They spec things like cylinder head PN's and intakes that have to be used unmodified. There are still things that can be done, but the engines are very limited.

Sure, cheating always happens. I've working in a number of engine shops building for a bunch of different series, so it pains me to say this, but usually someone would be better off learning to drive better then getting a few more HP.

100% agree

when I did a quick google search yesterday I came across this:

$25,900 for a "crate" motor. I get racing is expensive, but I was figuring this was more of the 602 / 604 crate type thing.

a top notch 410 engine or a super late engine runs north of $60k

a top notch 410 engine or a super late engine runs north of $60k

Yeah sure, that's effectively the unlimited class, right? Not really shocked at that.

but $25K for the budget class engine with "RaceSaver" in the name seems counter to my simple mind.

Yeah sure, that's effectively the unlimited class, right? Not really shocked at that.

but $25K for the budget class engine with "RaceSaver" in the name seems counter to my simple mind.

Tons of people in my "budget" class running $20k engines. its racing, as we all know there is no budget class. The top FWD 4 banger guys have well over $10k in the engine.

Race saver is not a budget class at all. They’re called race saver because they’re a huge crowd draw and “save” races by boosting track revenue. A brand new 305 race saver sprint is at least 50-60k. A winning and fresh motor used car goes for 20-30k. Also, you can get a new 305 sealed motor for around 10-15k.

Top Back Refresh