What's new

Let's start a pissing match: Kingpin, Goosebox, or Andersen

inthefield

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Texas
Just finalized the order sheet for a new build fifth wheel, because I like doing dumb shit like buying shit quality at the top of the market. Now I'm in the process of deciding how I want to hook this pile up. It could be towed between three different trucks 2 already have B&W turnovers, and the other has some 2002 B&W knockoff in it (that won't work with a companion hitch).

Primarily it'll be behind a CCSB F250, and I really don't want to deal with pulling the companion so the real choices are an Anderson that I can move between trucks, or drop the cash on a Reese Goosebox. My father's toyhauler has a goosebox on it, and he swears by it, but I'm semi concerned about it in a shortbed truck. I've got a hunting buddy that swears the Andersen Ultimate is the only way to tow, and another good friend that is taking the stance of "it came with a kingpin, tow with a companion hitch.

It seems like there are plenty of pros and cons to each, I'm leaning towards the goosebox, but I figured I'd ask here to widen my opinion base.

I have a B&W that uses the GM puck mounts. Works pretty good. I've almost pulled the trigger a couple times on a Goosebox. The claim is that's the only goose hitch that 5th wheel manufacturers will warranty their frame with. Dunno......... never checked.
The Goosebox appears to take up a lot of space when it swings, limiting storage in the back of the truck bed.

I actually tried going the other way - converting my gooseneck trailer to a 5th wheel hitch. Problem is I couldn't get the heights to work out.

I've seen some comments that the Anderson is kinda flimsy.

I was going to say the reese box, since you have 3 trucks with gooseneck balls. But then I saw the price..... Wtf are they on that they think that's worth $1200-1400? :homer:

There has got to be something similar for less.

Edit: then gen y isn't much cheaper, but at least it has the shock absorbing function.

I thought that gooseboxes were the solution for guys with shortbed trucks? Meaning the primary purpose was to move the trailer attachment point forward (relative to the trailer) to get the nose of the goose away from the truck cab.

My vote would be to put something on the trailer, goosebox or otherwise, so that you don't have to move hitches between trucks.

Edit: then gen y isn't much cheaper, but at least it has the shock absorbing function.

The Reese has an airbag and shocks too. Looking at etrailer.com, Gen y has about 20 different ones to choose from anywhere from 1100 to 1900, but some of them look beefier than the Reese units.

We've been looking at fifth wheels too, and I really like the idea of the goosebox or gen y hitch, but with a short bed truck for every person you find that says "yeah it works great!" there is another that says it really limits turning. I like the Anderson hitch, but I've seen several pics of them folded up like an accordion so depending on how big the trailer is I don't know if I would ever trust it. So when the time comes, I'll probably end up with a sliding fifth wheel hitch.

Duane

I was going to say the reese box, since you have 3 trucks with gooseneck balls. But then I saw the price..... Wtf are they on that they think that's worth $1200-1400? :homer:

There has got to be something similar for less.

I think that you’re paying for the endorsement from lippert that keeps your factory frame warranty intact, and the safety chains are sold separately as well.

Dad hauls his Grand Design with a longbed and has to use the 4” offset ball to have clearance enough to get in and out of his driveway without crushing a bed rail. The next time I’m up there I just need to hook up to his trailer and see if I can’t tear his shit up, so I know what to do for mine.

Last edited:
I went with pop up goose box. The Reese wasn't going to work for my need. Had an anderson but switched when I went from a flatbed back to a regular bed.

Trailer is 12,500 dry. Both seem to get the job done.

I have no first hand experience with any of them but three friends have the Anderson hitches. Two of them are the ultimate and one is a steel rail mount. The two Ultimates are used with B&W turnover ball hitches. All three trucks are short beds. One '18 or so Chevy 2500, one '21 Mega Cab Ram dually and one short bed Dodge 2500. I still have a bumper pull toy hauler but when I was looking to upgrade to a 5er I was looking hard at the Anderson Ultimate just for ease of taking in and out of the truck.

First thing I noticed was the hitch pivot was moved rearward 4" or so which gives you more room to swing and not hit the cab but it also takes weight off the front axle of the truck. Again I have no first hand experience with towing with them but I thought it might be a concern for me.

From what I have seen of the failures of the aluminum Anderson hitches failing was people getting into wrecks while towing. Saw some dude post on FB Toy Hauler fan page that his Anderson failed when he had to panic stop, the hitch failed and caused him to rear end the car in front of him. What I think really happened was he was following too close and he rear ended the vehicle in front of him and the mega heavy toy hauler folded the hitch when the truck suddenly stopped.

Figured I'd follow up on this thread in case it's a search result. We got into the camper way quicker than I expected, and I was in a time crunch to grab it and get home. I paid the dealership to install the Goose Box and I can say it was worth it, with the CCSB and a 4" offset adapter I had all the clearance I needed, and it rides smooth as silk. I thought I was going to end up with bags for stability's sake, but after running210 miles into a quartering headwind and everything staying planted even when passing I don't think I'll need them.

Attachments

• 259788349_489792792229159_8709219538151028917_n.jpg
    259788349_489792792229159_8709219538151028917_n.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • 259228563_312105754091406_6668223777887368709_n.jpg
    259228563_312105754091406_6668223777887368709_n.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
Top Back Refresh