What's new

Lets hit the dumbfuck sauce and build a stupid front axle( Shaved narrowed Dana 50)

I would be wary of the JK ball joint setup also. Keep in mind the lower ball joint is the only load bearing joint in the system. The upper is just a follower. I believe this is why so many people have issues with ball joints in those things. They changed that with the JL. Both upper and lower joints are load bearing in a JL. If you can find steel JL knuckles, I would do those over the JK stuff any day.

I would be wary of the JK ball joint setup also. Keep in mind the lower ball joint is the only load bearing joint in the system. The upper is just a follower. I believe this is why so many people have issues with ball joints in those things. They changed that with the JL. Both upper and lower joints are load bearing in a JL. If you can find steel JL knuckles, I would do those over the JK stuff any day.

I'm interested to see/hear the differences in knuckles pertaining to load. Didnt Peugeot gulp the dumbfuck sauce and all JLs are CAD?

I've thought many times of shaving a D50, but it doesnt seem applicable till you hit 37s+

I'm interested to see/hear the differences in knuckles pertaining to load. Didnt Peugeot gulp the dumbfuck sauce and all JLs are CAD?

I've thought many times of shaving a D50, but it doesnt seem applicable till you hit 37s+

I will try to get pics later, but my 50 turned out to have pretty much identical ground clearance to the d30 after the shave. It's still on the same 35's and I can clear all the same obstacles same as before.

You might notice that everyone seems to make ball joints for the JKs. The upper joint is just a sliding sleeve essentially to locate the upper end of the knuckle about the steering axis. Being a sliding sleeve and pin it does not support any vehicle weight. All the weight of the vehicle is supported off the lower ball joint which is a conventional joint. The advantage to this setup is that the upper requires no adjustment. Dodge AAM front axles are this same way. Once again, lots of people make dodge ball joints. Maybe on a 4klbs vehicle they last longer? Dunno.

The JLs use the more conventional load bearing joints top and bottom. This requires a means to adjust them, but they share the vehicle weight and should last longer. The JL ball joints and adjustment is similar to the superduty ball joint setup. A lot of companies have come out with ball joints for JLs, but I don't think they've seen the failure rate as the JKs. I think its more of a carryover from the JKs and trying to corner a part of that market in case the failure rate increases. Jeep people also seem to be obsessed with death wobble and will pay to fix it, so its easy to sell ball joints. I think the bigger failure point on the JL knuckle system is the knuckle itself being aluminum. I've seen the ball joints wear the tapered holes out in the aluminum. I know the mojaves have a steel knuckle and thats what I would use if I was going to use late model jeep parts. Reid also makes a knuckle.

Yes, JKs have small thin tubes that bend, and JLs have slightly larger tubes, but the FAD system. Maybe thats the beauty of using 99-05 SD stuff?

Pretty sure all the Jeep Dana 30s up till JL have the non-load bearing upper joint.

Do the JL knuckles fit other 30s?

I barely have one trail run on my rig since finishing so who knows how it’s gonna holdup. Always bench racing in my head though about the next setup or hybrid axle. I also don’t see going past 37s with this current rig, and that’s after I rock 35s for at least next season.

I do plan on the next rig being slightly larger and heavier than an XJ, so maybe then it’ll be right for copying this D50 idea :homer:

Pretty sure all the Jeep Dana 30s up till JL have the non-load bearing upper joint.

Do the JL knuckles fit other 30s?

I barely have one trail run on my rig since finishing so who knows how it’s gonna holdup. Always bench racing in my head though about the next setup or hybrid axle. I also don’t see going past 37s with this current rig, and that’s after I rock 35s for at least next season.

I do plan on the next rig being slightly larger and heavier than an XJ, so maybe then it’ll be right for copying this D50 idea :homer:

I think the JL stuff is a step up from the jk and older stuff. From what I hear, it will fit 1410 u-joints. With the lame cad, hopefully there will be lots of donors. :laughing:

This thing assplode yet? :flipoff2:
Nope :flipoff2:

Somehow this trashwagon still keeps hanging on

20231208_113337.jpg

Jesus. What a pile. Cut down TJ fenders? Only idiots do that..

1703026815503.png

:flipoff2:

Yep, they were cheap, just like everything else on this thing, they l99k much better than the garden edging that was on them before.
It's like a magical conglomeration of garbage that goes places and does shit it shouldn't :homer:

received_3216818095281305.jpeg
Yep. Whenever I wheel with new guys in mall-cruisers on 37s and $57k of shit bolted on, they always get out to "see if the XJ will make it"

After continuously walking up shit they struggled with, they stop getting out.

Yep. Whenever I wheel with new guys in mall-cruisers on 37s and $57k of shit bolted on, they always get out to "see if the XJ will make it"

After continuously walking up shit they struggled with, they stop getting out.
We have a few of the credit card jeepers show up every now and again to ride with us, they don't usually stick around long though. Something about getting hammered drunk and getting body damage for fun doesn't sit well with them.

Top Back Refresh