What's new

Lets discuss 12/120 volt refrigerator/freezers

smurfblue40

Baconologyst
Member Number
Loc
Sloughhouse Ca
I currently own a Engel MT-45F fridge/freezer. I’ve had it a few years now, the thing is a beast.

I would like to add another unit to the collection, maybe something a little smaller and lighter. I‘m familiar with Engel and ARB. During my brief searching I have looked at Dometic (upper end $$), ICECO, and BougeRV (never heard of them, but cheap).

Any recommendations?

I like the lower price of the ICECO and BougeRV, but I know nothing about them. Any others I may have missed?

I have the tiny 17 qt Engel. Can't say I've got a lot of miles on it but it works great. Obviously due to size it's not much of a beer cooler. I've thought about running it as a freezer and cycling frozen water bottles into a bigger cooler.

I have a 50 quart ARB that is 8 years old and running strong. Also have a 110 quart Dometic that is 5 years and also is still going strong. They are both good fridge/freezers but IMO the ARB feels more solidly built. I have two (one a big fucker) since I live out in BFE and my return home from the grocery store is 3 hours and I like to keep the frozen shit frozen and the cool stuff from heating up. I'd recommend either of them, just be aware that the 110qt Dometic is not really portable unless you are hulk hogan. I leave that in the truck just about full time and unload it to the house after we shop.

I have no experience with it first hand but have heard edgestars are decent low budget fridge/freezers.

I live out in BFE and my return home from the grocery store is 3 hours and I like to keep the frozen shit frozen and the cool stuff from heating up.
We’re pretty rural too. When I do the Friday town runs, I save the grocery part for last because I’m looking at a 30-40 minute drive home on a good day. During the hotter months the Engel goes in the truck. Now that we are stepping up into “glamping” I’d like to add on to our camp luxuries

Ive seen a lot of these lately in Jeeps.
Honest question as I’m debating getting one.
Is a fridge a better alternative for 3 people for 3 days (let’s say 120 cans total) to just keep replenishing a fridge or should I just stick with two ice chests like I do now?
I’m trying to figure out the logistics of using one on the trail but can’t wrap my head around it as fast as we go through cans.

Is a fridge a better alternative for 3 people for 3 days (let’s say 120 cans total) to just keep replenishing a fridge or should I just stick with two ice chests like I do now?
I’m trying to figure out the logistics of using one on the trail but can’t wrap my head around it as fast as we go through cans.
We have an arb and a couple of Engels. For beer it isn’t a huge deal but it is nice to put a bunch of food (and bottles for my son when he was a baby) in the fridge and have it dry/clean. When we used a cooler we used to throw most of the leftovers away when we got home. Now we just haul the fridge basket into the kitchen and put everything back, knowing it is safe to eat and not full of water from melting ice.

They are a little pricey, but well worth it.

I have had ice cream bars three days into the Rubicon (a friend had one set on freezer mode)

It is nice to have everything nice and cold through the whole trip without sloshing around in melted ice towards the end.

Got an ARB here. Works good. Quite old now. Might get another, but, probably smaller.

Also... I thought the ARB were made by Dometic. At least the older ones.

With our huge Engel, we put a styrofoam divider in (cut to size, jam it in) and crank it up a bit. Then one size freezes and the other side stays cold.

Also, these things last forever. Search Craigslist with Engel, arb, portable fridge, whatever. You will find them for $100-$500.

Bought a used ARB 50 here a few years ago.. don't use it a ton but it's really nice to take food on road trips and not have water logged deli meat and hamburger towards the end of the trip. I think the ARBs have actually stayed about the same price so by the time you figure in inflation they are going down? :confused:
I would buy another if the need arises. We have a camper so when we take it the ARB gets used for extra freezer space. Sacked ice for drinks and such.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh