What's new

Legends Class 4800 Build - "Tinkerita"

Capture.JPG

Turned the feed on right when he was hitting the course! Sucks on the flat, but could have been worse watching some of the other runs.

Well, well, well, I don't really know where to begin. It's been a week since we took to the starting line at KOH 2024. To say it was a difficult undertaking would be an understatement. Just getting out to the lakebed from North Carolina was a difficult task as our guys lost a trailer tire (not a big deal) in Texas and trailer leaf spring in Arizona! Unfortunately, this costed some time which set our whole team and plans behind. Hindsight I guess was a good thing as the lakebed was a muddy mess!

Once we arrived at the lakebed, it was a rush to get the car prepped and ready for tech the next morning. We all worked on many different things to finalize everything we needed for tech. Regardless, it's just a different world on the west coast.
KOH Arrival.jpg
Tech Upgrades.jpg

The goal was to tech the chassis, get it banded, and head out for some pre-running. Unfortunately, the small inconveniences costed us some precious time as we had to button up a few issues with the firewall that was overlooked during our original tech inspection. Luckily, we had some aluminum tape and cardboard to make a temporary solution allowing us to get a band. What felt like forever, we finally got into the desert with the car. As we went, we were making adjustments to the IBP's but were only able to hit a few course trails before we heard a loud bang under the car. With much disappointment, our brand-new Fox IBP blew apart. So our quick pre-run was over.
Tech Inspection.jpg

Pre Running.jpg
IBP Explodes.jpg

Thankfully Fox was on the lakebed and took care of the IBP's for us. They even went through the other rear to make sure there were no other issues. Speculation is that there was too much oil. Regardless, we lost the whole afternoon and didn't utilize qualifying pre-run. Which leads us into Tuesday morning. After getting the IBP's back, we had to rush to get them installed, get suited, and hit the qualifying course. Thankfully we had zero pre-running so of course we went into qualifying blind and way too hot. This costed us a rear driver tire early into our run which slowed us way down. In the end, we made it back and didn't qualify last.
Post Qualifying.jpg

After a quick tire change, we wanted to do some additional shock tuning. We all loaded up and found a good section to run and test out the suspension. After getting more comfortable in the whoops, we were able to carry some speed as we continued to work on the IBP's. In the end we had a top speed of 72 mph in some moderate whoops with the given area with more in the tank. However, this costed us a rear main seal. Once we got back to camp, the car wasn't happy, puking oil from the underside. So, instead of going back out and pre-running more of the course, we were stuck at camp yet again working on the car.
Post Pre Run.jpg
Rear Main Seal.jpg

Instead of getting the opportunity to hit some rock trails Wednesday or pre-run some more desert, we were stuck in the trailer trying to get the car back together. I'm glad we had the trailer, as it made working on the car easier. Luckily, it allowed us to find some other issues later in the day. The front third member didn't feel good, so we knew we had to inspect the carrier once the car was out of the trailer. We also took advantage of getting the IBP's off for some internal shimming. In the end, we got the car back together, pulled back into our pits, and spent the rest of the night working on the front axle.
Front Third Bearing.jpg

If you're keeping up with days, it's now Thursday which is our tech and contingency and we didn't have the parts we needed to get the frontend back together. As most of you know, the racing community is pretty awesome within Ultra 4, and I was able to source the bearing we needed from JR4X and their team. If it wasn't for them, our plan was to go through tech without the front 3rd installed until we got the bearing we needed. But that wasn't the case, and we were able to make it.
Tech & Contingency.jpg

Since we had zero time on the newly tuned IBP's, after tech, we hit some more areas to dial in the suspension one last time before race day. We made quick work of this as they felt much better than before. With the starting line in sight, we went back to camp to prep the car for race day.

Now race day...
It was a beautiful morning, absolutely PERFECT for racing. With all the setbacks behind us, I was eager and ready to take to the course. Our plan was to take it easy, "save the car", and just have fun.
Race Morning.jpg

As we lined up prior to the race to start, we were able to just relax and have some good conversations with other racers near us. Small world, we were set to start off with Diezel from NC. He helped us out back in AOP in 21'. Again, just cool people to be affiliated with.
In Line.jpg

Once the green flag waved, it was all focus as we took the hole shot from him. Learning from our qualifying, we took it much easier in the big whoops and avoided the gotcha rock that kept killing everyone's driver side tires. Very quickly into the race, we were already passing other racers before Turkey Claw. With this speed, the car felt great, not really pushing at all. Once we got into TC, everyone was in a line leaving the middle open. I decided to take the middle lane and pass quite a few other racers in the rocks. Unfortunately, this led me turtled at the pinch rock. Once my co-dawg got out to winch, we realized we didn't have reverse. Immediately this killed the mood, and I knew my day wasn't going to be as fun as I hoped. Once we got through, we ripped a hole in a side wall killing our rear tire. In hopes to make quick work of our tire change, we found out that our impact wasn't on the car. Instead of driving 27 miles to remote pit 1, I decided to run back to main pit. Although not fun, I made it back and we changed the tire only to make it 50 yards killing another tire. At this point we had no choice to continue on at a slower speed. Shortly into our race, now by ourselves, we kept pulling over to broken down cars to see if they had a spare to loan. Much to our Suprise, we were able to get one and carry on with our race.
Break Down.jpg

This is where this story ends tragically. Right around race mile 19, we hit a large gout at 65 sending us up and over, endoing the car. With a couple of flips the car stopped and thankfully both my co-driver and I were able to walk away with no issues. The car however did not have the same luck, but it saved our lives and for that I'm truly grateful.
Rollover.jpg
Rollover Top.jpg

Wasn't very long afterwards that race recovery showed up checking on us and helping us flip the car back over. Those guys were the real heroes as they dragged the car to powerline road allowing us the opportunity to get it back.
Rollover Upright.jpg
Rollover Rear.jpg

After a few phone calls to the loved ones and our team, we worked on the car. Assessing damage and evaluating our options, we decided to try and limp it back as best we could with all the damage it endured. Thankfully we were able to make our tire strap work to help support the rear and drive slowly back to the main road.
Rollover Damage.jpg

On the way back our guys came with more straps and a spare tire. Further down, we ran into another racer recovering his car. After a few laughs, he offered up his truck and trailer to us. He felt we needed it more than he did. Without hesitation, we loaded up the car and headed back to hammertown.
Trailer.jpg

Without Ryan and his team, I think we would still be driving at 5mph to get the car back. In the end, we got the beat-up car back to camp and our KOH experience was over.
Camp.jpg

Now the teardown process will begin to make sure the chassis is ok and fix the broken undercarriage.

Regardless, I just want to thank all of our sponsors, supporters, friends, family members, and Irates that have helped along in this journey. Although broke, we're not broken, and we'll be back at the next one.

Glad you guys are ok. That's a pretty serious failure of a link mount!! The desert is tough on parts too. Any chance you can post some pictures of what this area looked like pre crash? As i'm typing i'm thinking I can go back and look for pictures in this thread:shaking::idea:. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad on the chassis and tinkeita will live to race another day.

EDIT: To answer my own questions about the link mount pre wreck......

Post Race Inspection.jpg

Sorry for the bad luck. I think I broke my front diff mount’s hitting that same G out hard on the brakes because I was going way too fast.

Did you bring us your new bearing you had ordered? Or do I still need to get one to put back in our diff parts box?

Glad you guys are ok. Was wondering what was going on in Turkey Claw. I did get some pics of you during Qualifying and added them to a gallery. I haven't gotten to the Turkey Claw pics yet but I know I got some of you there too. here's the link:
Team 801

Just watched this YouTube yesterday where a guy posted up on turkey claw and got everyone coming through. Saw your car struggle and wondered what the issues were. Tons of struggle from everyone though.

ooh man that is not a good link placement at all.
I see tons of Chassis with the links mounted like this or very similar. Rolls in the desert at speed are very hard on parts!! with some minor bracing and maybe a balanced link mount this should be fine and next time the bolt or link will fail. The force has to go somewhere!!!!!!! The force required to snap the tube like that is high!!!

I see tons of Chassis with the links mounted like this or very similar. Rolls in the desert at speed are very hard on parts!! with some minor bracing and maybe a balanced link mount this should be fine and next time the bolt or link will fail. The force has to go somewhere!!!!!!! The force required to snap the tube like that is high!!!

even without a rollover that tube would fatigue and fail.

a simple tube like Bebop drew is perfect solution. he needs to do it on the front as well

Sorry for the bad luck. I think I broke my front diff mount’s hitting that same G out hard on the brakes because I was going way too fast.

Did you bring us your new bearing you had ordered? Or do I still need to get one to put back in our diff parts box?
I ordered 2, one for you, and will have it at the next race for y'all. After the wreck, all our focus went to getting the car safely loaded up in the stacker trailer. Send me an address in message and I can ship it to you if that works better. Just let me know. And thanks again for the help!

Glad you guys are ok. Was wondering what was going on in Turkey Claw. I did get some pics of you during Qualifying and added them to a gallery. I haven't gotten to the Turkey Claw pics yet but I know I got some of you there too. here's the link:
Team 801
Thanks for the pictures!
Just watched this YouTube yesterday where a guy posted up on turkey claw and got everyone coming through. Saw your car struggle and wondered what the issues were. Tons of struggle from everyone though.

Yeah, unfortunately without reverse, I wasn't able to reposition and hug the rock like we planned. There was a lot of issues there for sure.

Add a tube here ?

1707504644182.png
After speaking with Tim at TMR, they slugged these tubes. Moving forward, I plan on adding some sort of additional structure. Regardless, endoing and side loading the rear, something was going to give regardless.

I haven't really had a chance to review all of the damage, but you are correct. Definitely high impact, if you look closer at the upside-down pic, you can see bent chassis brackets, axle brackets, and bent 3/4" bolts.

even without a rollover that tube would fatigue and fail.

a simple tube like Bebop drew is perfect solution. he needs to do it on the front as well
Agreed! The front and rear are both going to get supported.

Wild! Way to keep plugging away. Thanks for the recap
Thanks for the encouragement.

Stay tuned... I plan on getting Tinkerita home and stripped down to assess the damages and plan out our new support for the underside. Good news is our 1/4" 2x4 rectangle crossover bar worked perfectly. LOL looking at the positives.

Now with Rush not in the lineup, we have a little more time to focus on getting it back to 100% for the next race!

Top Back Refresh