What's new

LED lights and fast flashing signals

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
I built a flatdeck for my 01 f350, and used LED ovals for tail lights. Naturally, I ended up with fast flashing blinkers. Front bulbs are still incandescent. So I went and bought a grote 44090 flasher relay, which is labeled as being for use with LEDs.
I still have fast flashing blinkers.
Faulty or mislabeled relay? Need LEDs up front too? Something else?

Dealt with that issue on my 07 Chevy Silverado classic so maybe not a direct cross over to your ferd but similar.

I installed the LED marker lights but the turn signals I left standard.

Didnt have the time or patience to deal with the flasher module.

Resistors are the quickest fix. I use something similar to these on several rigs.

You need to install resistors like said in the post above. I did this many years ago and that was the easiest fix for my truck.

they do work BUT I had resistors in my garage so that was much cheaper and easier to install and used wire taps to do so. Complete setup on Amazon here

they do work BUT I had resistors in my garage so that was much cheaper and easier to install and used wire taps to do so. Complete setup on Amazon here

Ok gotcha. What I am saying, is that I bought one of those flashers...which hasn't worked. Seems like it was likely mislabeled or mispackaged.

I've never had an "LED compatible" flasher actually work right with only LED's. Usually if you have an incandescent somewhere on each side, they'll work, but with only LED's, have to have a ballast resistor.

I did the fancy flasher on my 05 F250 and it worked.

Gotta do it on an 02 F250 I received, looks like a bastard to change

I have one of those led relays, works great. It was over $20 I believe, which compared to the normal relay is ridiculous, but that solved my problem.

I did the fancy flasher on my 05 F250 and it worked.

Gotta do it on an 02 F250 I received, looks like a bastard to change

It's gravy. Pop the fuse cover panel off the bottom of the dash, there's a torx head on the lower right that holds the footwell heater duct in place, pull that, pull the duct out, and you can reach up in there pretty easy. 5 minute job.

Exchanged it for another of the same brand. Different part number on the flasher than on the package in this case too. Catch and released that, tried a Novita EP27, and...success!

I used an EP27 from NAPA on my 2004. Pain in the butt to get to the damn thing from underneath the dash.

Or just pop the radio out. It's right there.

Stupid ass location for a relay bank.

We won't even talk about the VSM :mad3:

I'll never run resistors, my main reasons to go to LEDs are lower power consumption and higher reliability. Resistors negate both of those benefits in addition to having a bad habit of melting anything they touch.

The LED digital flasher relay was the right answer. I would have tried swapping the front bulbs to LEDs as well to see if the first flasher just didn't like the current of halogen bulbs...

Put cheap LED taillights in my 16 taco, got the fast flash, added resistors, still have the flash. :homer:

I've never had an "LED compatible" flasher actually work right with only LED's. Usually if you have an incandescent somewhere on each side, they'll work, but with only LED's, have to have a ballast resistor.
The led flasher from Crown Jeep parts worked on my LJ

Also, the fast flashing when a bulb is out is a feature added to flashers. There are flashers out there without that feature.

From what I've read, there is no such thing on this gen taco.

You might be in luck, there appears to be carryover of the 2011-2015 2nd Gen Taco turn signal flashers into only the 2016 3rd Gen. Then for 2017, the flasher is gone and integrated into the BCM. This is a big maybe, but it seems to jive in part number land.

So if you have DRLs, a regular CF18 Flasher would plug right in. If not you would need to source the Toyota adapter harness to plug a CF18 into your 12-pin flasher plug.

You might be in luck, there appears to be carryover of the 2011-2015 2nd Gen Taco turn signal flashers into only the 2016 3rd Gen. Then for 2017, the flasher is gone and integrated into the BCM. This is a big maybe, but it seems to jive in part number land.

So if you have DRLs, a regular CF18 Flasher would plug right in. If not you would need to source the Toyota adapter harness to plug a CF18 into your 12-pin flasher plug.
I'll look into this. Thanks brudda

I'll look into this. Thanks brudda

No problem, I hope it works in your favor!

I just swapped to a Diode Dynamics Smarttap CF-18 flasher in my GX470 using the OEM adapter harness. It's a pretty nice setup.

Top Back Refresh