What's new

Leather man recommendations

ThePanzerFuhrer

The Rock Breaker God
Member Number
Loc
Wi
I need to start carrying a leatherman type knife around. One of my new employees carry’s one around and he is flipping it to me every other day to use. I was checking out their website and it seems they make one that’s a vice grip. It’s called the crunch.

https://www.leatherman.com/crunch-1.html?cgid=work#start=1

Any of you guys use this model or have a suggestion for a different model?

What do you do? That will drive what one is best for you. No point in getting wire cutters if you never cut wire sort of things...

I have the crunch, it's pretty handy but I've sent it in for free repair a couple times. Hopefully they've beefed it up some, I got mine at a Builders Square big box store for 1/2 price when they went out of business back in the 90s. The crunch you have to pop it in place in kind of a weird manner when you need it also , got a wave and some other model that I traded a friend for 1 and got another one at a second hand store for 20 bucks. Also have an original Gerber, it's got the quickest to deploy pliers and they pop out using only 1 hand.

Wrong Leather Man?

DSCN2044.jpg

What do you do? That will drive what one is best for you. No point in getting wire cutters if you never cut wire sort of things...

Lol better question is what I don’t do. I have a few crushing spreads so I guess you could call me a outdoor mill right?

wire cutters/ strippers, pliers, screwdrivers, replaceable edge utility knife, hammer, crescent wrench would be the most perfect tool Lol

I have the crunch, it's pretty handy but I've sent it in for free repair a couple times. Hopefully they've beefed it up some, I got mine at a Builders Square big box store for 1/2 price when they went out of business back in the 90s. The crunch you have to pop it in place in kind of a weird manner when you need it also , got a wave and some other model that I traded a friend for 1 and got another one at a second hand store for 20 bucks. Also have an original Gerber, it's got the quickest to deploy pliers and they pop out using only 1 hand.

Which one is your go too knife?

The newer models that use magnets are supposed to be really easy to open one handed; I am too attached to my original Leatherman Wave (the new version of the Wave isn't as good as the original IMO) to find out though.

I prefer my Gerber multitool to the leatherman. I can flick it one handed to get the pliers out and the knife opens easy from there. Positive lock for all folding tools and the blade is easy to sharpen and stays sharp for a while with the serrations.

The newer models that use magnets are supposed to be really easy to open one handed; I am too attached to my original Leatherman Wave (the new version of the Wave isn't as good as the original IMO) to find out though.

that makes me sad, I miss my OG wave. left it on the trailer after fixing lights with it one night and drove off.

I need to replace it.

I found an orignal on Evil bay and bought it, I think it is number 5, they seemed to grow legs and walk whe I was still working

I thought I read on the other board that there was some issue with that brand like donations to sierra club or some such BS. I remember there being a thread on different companies to be avoided due to land access or political BS... If that matters to you anyway.

I use a a few different Gerbers as my carry multi-tools. Look on their website and choose a model that has the tools you think you need.

I like the Wave. On my 5th or 6th one from them having unfortunate incidents; apparently the ER thinks they're a weapon and takes them from you. :laughing: I think I still have my first one somewhere and should send it in for new blades though, since apparently they will replace them for free if you do.

The only thing that sucks is they don't seem to sell the good leather holster for them anymore. They've got some tacticool spandex webbing shit now that jiggles around like a pair of tits that are well past their best before date.

I carry the Supertool 300 daily. Started with the original Supertool, had it replaced with the 200, and now I'm on the 300. The Leatherman store isn't too far from me so anytime I break something I just have them give me a new one.

I carry a sidekick with me every day. I was carrying a wave before that and was always hesitant to use it since it was >$100 and had some sentimental value but then I saw the sidekick for $20 at Home Depot on clearance and have been beating on it since. I like it enough that there's another new one waiting in reserve in case I kill or lose mine

Depends on how large you're comfortable carrying too.
I prefer the Skeletool with extra bits.

that makes me sad, I miss my OG wave. left it on the trailer after fixing lights with it one night and drove off.

I need to replace it.

good luck, I had to search on eBay for a while before I found an unused one at a decent price.

The only thing that sucks is they don't seem to sell the good leather holster for them anymore. They've got some tacticool spandex webbing shit now that jiggles around like a pair of tits that are well past their best before date.

I had one custom made that holds my Rovyvon flashlight + my Leatherman Wave in a belt holster, this guy does excellent work; https://nayscustomleather.com/

I have the leatherman crunch and rarely use it. I carry a Wave or a super tool 3000. The SOG sucks, btw. If I have the room, I carry a small pair of knipex pliers and a Swiss Army knife. Better than any multi tool.

I have the leatherman crunch and rarely use it. I carry a Wave or a super tool 3000. The SOG sucks, btw. If I have the room, I carry a small pair of knipex pliers and a Swiss Army knife. Better than any multi tool.

I treid the SOG after I lost my wave, and it was trash.
I'm not a fan of how gerber does it either.

fucking wave was perfect. still mad I lost it and that was years ago.

I prefer my Gerber multitool to the leatherman. I can flick it one handed to get the pliers out and the knife opens easy from there. Positive lock for all folding tools and the blade is easy to sharpen and stays sharp for a while with the serrations.

X2, I have a leatherman and no longer carry it, I have a Gerber scout and it is plain awesome carry it everyday well over 20 years old. Lifetime warranty, sent it back twice because I broke the tip off the blade only paying shipping to get it to the factory, get it back in a few days sharp cleaned and adjusted no questions asked and no charge.

Top Back Refresh