What's new

Leather man recommendations

I had the original Leatherman wave from the 90s. That thing saw a lot of saltwater use and was very forgiving. Sent it in for warranty when the lock for the serrated blade snapped off from cycling open/closed 7 million times. Got an upgraded version I didn’t like as much and it got lost.

Bought a surge next because it was a little bigger and don’t like it because it’s a little bigger. Wave gets my vote from that brand.

Leatherman's suck. Get a Gerber. The best multitool made, hands down:

https://smile.amazon.com/Gerber-Mul...+pro&qid=1593467760&sr=8-2&tag=91812054244-20

Made in the USA, one handed opening, Fiskars scissors and a blade holder that uses any common small size jig saw blade.

Carry one everywhere, bought mine from SnapOn but it's still a Gerber. The wire cutter portion is two small machine lathe bits, they're replaceable, but I'm only on side two of three after having it for three years or so. If I tear up the last edges I'll just get my SnapOn guy to warranty it, it's had a hard life. Funny thing is that I still have the original tool, but I'm on my fourth or fifth holster. Like I said, I carry it >everywhere<... :flipoff2: :usa:

I own 2 surge and 1 wave. The surge are the only ones that really hold up too my abuse. I use em daily.

I've got two old Waves.
Love the leather pouch.

that makes me sad, I miss my OG wave. left it on the trailer after fixing lights with it one night and drove off.

I need to replace it.

That's how I scored a second one.
Saw it chilling on the middle of the road while zooming along.
Couldn't pull a u-turn any quicker than I did that moment

No, but can you use the pliers without opening the Wave? Can you do anything with the Wave single handed? :D

I use my Wave single handed all the time. Flip open a blade, open the pliers etc. Not as smooth as a Gerber but I'm used to my Wave so I stick with it. I have a spare in the drawer in case I loose this one. I've sent a couple leathermans back for broken tips, smashed sides etc. Always fixed for free. Just pay shipping to send them out.

All you really need.

echjz6k.gif

Leatherman Charge Titanium FTW- basically an upgraded lighter Wave. One handed operation of S30 knife and if you prefer to carry in sheath the extra bits/drivers are handy especially the Torx sizes. Removable pocket clip Works surprisingly well and although I don’t as much as I used to, it really isn’t to big or heavy to EDC. The wave is a great tool Too and you will be well served ,but imho the strength and lighter weight of the titanium found in the charge is well worth extra coin especially if you plan to use daily.

btw They make great gifts too...graduation, Father’s Day, groomsman etc.

I carry a sidekick with me every day. I was carrying a wave before that and was always hesitant to use it since it was >$100 and had some sentimental value but then I saw the sidekick for $20 at Home Depot on clearance and have been beating on it since. I like it enough that there's another new one waiting in reserve in case I kill or lose mine

I has the Sidekick for a while until I had to give it away to the gate security for Oktoberfest on Holloman AFB. It was alright, but it had a lot of extra stuff I never used. The most unforgivable thing about the Sidekick was the sorry excuse for a combination can/bottle opener :laughing: It was a better can opener than bottle opener, but WTF is opening a lot of cans with their multi-tool :confused:

Depends on how large you're comfortable carrying too.
I prefer the Skeletool with extra bits.

This is what I carry, and I think it is a perfect fit for me. It has only the tools I use all the time and fits well clipped in my pocket. The bottle opener works great and is a huge improvement over the Sidekick :laughing: The interchangeable bits are a blessing and a curse. You have to be easy not to lose them, but you can carry pretty specialized bits with you if you are frequently working with something other than Phillips and slot head fasteners. I recommend getting it with the serrated blade.

image.jpg

Just received Wingman as a gift yesterday. It will come in handy, like the serrated blade and spring loaded pliers.
Somewhere in garage I have a no name multitool that has lived a hard life, it is still useful as it does have multi bit provision on it.

My second favorite is Swiss Gear that I have owned for seven years now, this one is more of a pocket knife with other tools thrown in.

I

I like my older Gerber tool with the blunt nose pliers and the regular wire cutter, NOT the carbide ones. I just break the carbide ones when cutting fence wire. It's been loyal. The pliers are super easy to access as they slide out and that is what I use them for 99% of the time. The other tools are nice to have on hand, but don't get used a ton.

Looks like it is a MP600

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-MP6...561222&hash=item2171cdd8bc:g:ehMAAOSwyFhe95Vl

I found an orignal on Evil bay and bought it, I think it is number 5, they seemed to grow legs and walk whe I was still working

Yawp, still have mine. Folks got it for me as a high school graduation present. That as decades ago. I use it every day. Case is pretty hammered up, though.

I prefer my Gerber multitool to the leatherman. I can flick it one handed to get the pliers out and the knife opens easy from there. Positive lock for all folding tools and the blade is easy to sharpen and stays sharp for a while with the serrations.

I have a mini Gerber on my key chain. Pliers and knives have been useful but I cannot get the damn screwdrivers and tweezers out. Damn things are in there tight and usually cracks my nails when I try to flip em out.

The original Leatherman is what i have carried daily since they first came out. Not available any more but i buy replacements online.
They are used but mostly in good useable shape. Over the years i've only had to replace about 3 due to loss or breaking the knife blade where it can't be salvaged. Bought 4 last time and got em in my knife drawer for the future.

Vice Grip brand. You can find them for a fraction of the price for the other ones. I have the older style and find it far more useful than all the other multi tools that other guys I work with carry. Not as sexy or as costly but is much more robust and you won't cry if you lose it or break it.
https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Lo...tter-1923454/dp/B014UT2VCQ?tag=91812054244-20

Fuck those things!

I was using that exact pair a few years ago, had the vise grips locked onto something and when I went to unlock them the knife came out and cut my thumb half off.

As kinda a conclusion to the thread I ended up ordering a Swiss tool Spirt XC. The leatherman wave was 2nd. I decided on the Victornox for two reasons. A lot of you weren’t happy with the quality of the new waves. Second the Victornox had a blunt serrated blade and a small blade with curved edge that would work great for cutting sheathing off wires.

I’ll try and remember to keep updating the thread on how it works, holds up, how long it takes me to lose it!

Well I figured I better update this thread. Been almost a year carrying this guy around. I absolutely love this guy. I beat the hell out of it and it’s still nice and tight. It even took a hit from a 8d battery. Probably one of the best purchases I made in a while. I seem to use all the functions but the saw.

Will be getting another one to have just in case I lose it.

CDD67A7C-6451-42F6-BA29-B6B03325003C.jpeg

B8C85BD6-E060-43F5-BA1D-0412D732E66D.jpeg

I was just searching and they don’t seem to make this model anymore. Gonna have to grab some off eBay. I like the fat serrated blade.

Last edited:
Another like item I’m going to add to my murse is the leatherman raptor

1621649038181.jpg

Last edited:
Well I figured I better update this thread. Been almost a year carrying this guy around. I absolutely love this guy. I beat the hell out of it and it’s still nice and tight. It even took a hit from a 8d battery. Probably one of the best purchases I made in a while. I seem to use all the functions but the saw.

Will be getting another one to have just in case I lose it.

I was just searching and they don’t seem to make this model anymore. Gonna have to grab some off eBay. I like the fat serrated blade.

Nice. This one is 20 years old and the one I was talking about in the thread earlier. Like I said before it has 10 years of hard use on it and has lived in various range bags, tackle boxes, glove compartments, etc. If you look closely you can see the 115V hit mine took. The tool is still tight AF.

IMG_0399.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg

Leatherman Surge. Ive tried, and broke many of em. The only reason Ive ever had to replace the Surge is if I lose it. I use mine daily. Love it.

I have the 300 or whatever the big one is. It’s too heavy and big. I use it a lot because it’s what I have. But I’d carry a small one a lot more.

Top Back Refresh