What's new

Learning another language

ToyotaSub

Toyota goes woo woo
Member Number
Loc
Upurbuckaluk
I know, this is America, everyone can speak American or fuck off. :flipoff2:

There is a rest of the world out there though. Yes, it's wussier, there's less guns, the beer generally is better, and a lot of the people speak funny. I think maybe it would broaden my horizons to learn to speak funny with them.

Which language would you consider learning as your second?

Don't be a commie! 😁 Doing German myself.

1. America now has the best beer in the world, we've even passed the Czechs and Belgians (germany was never in the running, sorry).
  2. English is the de facto world language, and people who don't speak it have no stake in the future. Air Traffic is in English, Marine Navigation is in English, scientific discourse is in English.
  3. By probability, you should learn Espanol (easy peasy, no seriously it's a much simpler language than English) or Mandarin. There is literally no other language worth learning unless you like Japanese cartoons or you want to do missionary work.

Espanyol

in Texas you will actually use it on a Weekly if not daily basis.

I have been half-assing Swedish with an app called Duolingo on my phone. I can't speak it, and definitely wouldn't understand someone speaking it fluently to me, but I could probably get the most basic points across if I needed to with what I have learned.

I am unable to learn another language but I do know engly and sign language.

I took German as soon as it was offered in school. I was placed in a AP German class for my senior year of high school

A couple years later I found myself in Frankfort (Army’s dime). I was in a bar bullshitting with someone when they said something I didn’t understand. After some back and forth I finally told them I was not drunk, I was an American and I didn’t understand the local slang. For the rest of the night everyone spoke in broken German / English, and I was no longer allowed to pay for anything

Now... I can only remember basic phrases from lack of practice 😕

I picked up Slovakian fairly quick. My SIL is from Slovakia. Don't see her much anymore so I forgot a lot. Just get by with the basics.

I'd love to pick up Mandarin.

1. By probability, you should learn Espanol (easy peasy, no seriously it's a much simpler language than English) or Mandarin.

WRONG.

Why in the fuck would you want to speak a language wetbacks can understand? The whole reason I'm learning German is how many people can understand it? Almost everyone understands some English. I can then converse in German to the wife without others knowing what we are saying, tell people off in German while smiling and scream at people in German, When the wetbacks start their squirrel talk, I'll just verbally abuse them in German. I understand Spanish well and learned the language of surrender, French in high school. Learn German to fuck with people. besides that, I have a German friend that comes over from Germany twice a year to wheel and he can help refine my bad German.

In this bullshit era of mask wearing kool-aid drinking shit fuck pussies.......................

ASL is really helpful to some. Keep in mind that ASL is the theoretical combining of "most" English taught forms of sign. It seems to be what is taught in most high school type second language programs. Intuitive sign is still being used and is a real benefit.

ASL is ONE form of a very far reaching method of communicating.

A bit of a thought, just for shits and grins, think of how fun it is if you lip read..........when dealing with a LEO............at night..........on the side of the road halfway between the tri-cities and Portland.

In this bullshit era of mask wearing kool-aid drinking shit fuck pussies.......................

ASL is really helpful to some. Keep in mind that ASL is the theoretical combining of "most" English taught forms of sign. It seems to be what is taught in most high school type second language programs. Intuitive sign is still being used and is a real benefit.

ASL is ONE form of a very far reaching method of communicating.

A bit of a thought, just for shits and grins, think of how fun it is if you lip read..........when dealing with a LEO............at night..........on the side of the road halfway between the tri-cities and Portland.

Think of how fun it is to lip read anyone these days.....

Norwegian.

Have a number of friends over there and one of my oldest friends is from there. Have made half assed attempts at it over the years, and can pick up some stuff here or there, but generally don't really have the type of thinking or attention span to learn another language.

Think of how fun it is to lip read anyone these days.....

I have some hearing loss from a variety of things in my past

I didn’t realize how much I depend on seeing someone’s face when talking to them in noisy situations until this covid19 crap started 😕

There is a rest of the world out there though. Yes, it's wussier, there's less guns, the beer generally is better, and a lot of the people speak funny. I think maybe it would broaden my horizons to learn to speak funny with them.

Only read the first post and had to say.

"The beer is better"

No. That statement is absolutely false.

Edit: the good US beer got me fuckered up. I miss read. Keep on keeping on folks:beer:

Last edited:
Oh, my vote is Japanese. My wife has Japanese family. Awesome people, awesome food, awesome in very many ways. G-ma Koz is a wonderful person and I will miss her when she's gone.

Python, Ruby, HTML, JavaScript, C++

I have google translate for if I have to talk to people.

I already speak Spanish and French, as well.

I'd like to learn Italian or Russian next.....

I am fairly bilingual... speaking the somewhat local language (espanol) was almost a priority in So. Cal. growing up and especially in the construction trades. And MEXICAN is NOT spanish... there's about 30 different dialects, so speaking to someone from Bogota doesn't translate well to someone from Tiajuana. :laughing: It gets you in the ballpark though. It definitely helps a TON to speaky some espanol in the SW. That ain't no lie.

Spanish - There is a lot of it out there and I run construction projects. I know a little bit.
ASL - Very helpful in certain circumstances and my GF is fluent
Japanese - IDK seems neat and I want to go to Japan.

American Sign Language, just so you can learn another hand signal beside this. :flipoff2:

I've been to a decent amount of other countrys... 8 or so that dont tuch the US. English is spoken everywhere and if you attempt to use the little bit of other languages you pick up along the way before going to english as respect you will be fine.

I've tried a couple of times to learn a different language and could only pick up a few very common words. Not my strong suit I guess.

I am fairly bilingual... speaking the somewhat local language (espanol) was almost a priority in So. Cal. growing up and especially in the construction trades. And MEXICAN is NOT spanish... there's about 30 different dialects, so speaking to someone from Bogota doesn't translate well to someone from Tiajuana. :laughing: It gets you in the ballpark though. It definitely helps a TON to speaky some espanol in the SW. That ain't no lie.

To go with you saying Mexican isn't Spanish, I've found that in Great Britain they speak English and here we speak American. :flipoff2: Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language.

To go with you saying Mexican isn't Spanish, I've found that in Great Britain they speak English and here we speak American. :flipoff2: Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language.

Well, we certainly don't speak the "Queens English"... that's for sure. :flipoff2:

Spanish is pretty handy in the western U.S. Besides, Mexican food is my favorite, so it helps to be able to read the menu as well, much less understanding what type of trash talk my Mexican friends are throwing out there. Fairly easy grammatical Latin based constructs, and relatively easy vocabulary. We share a lot of common words in American English with Spanish (remember the Alamo!). It's a Latin based language. My Spanish is okay.

French is good because I have 2 kids who speak fluent French, having picked it up from spending a couple years in West Africa. It's a handy language to know even if French people are largely disgusting and smelly. Tougher grammatical Latin based constructs than Spanish, and fairly easy vocabulary but tougher than Spanish. We also share a lot of words in English with French (yeah, all that 1066 stuff). It's also a Latin based language. My French is pretty decent.

Norwegian was the next obvious language to learn because of my ancestry, etc. It's also the best Scandinavian language to learn as it isn't insane to learn like Icelandic and a working knowledge of Norwegian means you can also understand Swedish pretty well (essentially Norwegian while singing), much of Danish (essentially Norwegian with a mouth full of gravel), and a bit of Dutch (essentially Norwegian with a bunch of mispronounced words) and a little German (essentially Norwegian with mispronounced words all smashed together into one word). The grammatical setup of the language is almost identical to English (no conjugation of verbs, something that makes English people crazy when studying Spanish and French), but the vocabulary can be a little tough. Very few actual shared words with the English although tons are very similar to English words. It's a Northern Germanic language. My Norwegian is getting better, almost as good as Spanish.

English is a Western Germanic language with Dutch and German.

Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish are Northern Germanic languages.

Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Italian are Latin based.

I won't comment on other languages as they're all basically useless in my awesome American life, such as commie Chinese Mandarin for instance...

Duolingo is pretty good for basic introductory learning. You won't become fluent using Duolingo but you can carry on basic interaction, order food, find your way around, and read the news, etc.

__

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh