What's new

Learn Me on this Mauser

Jakey_Recline

Gay for Toyotas
Member Number
Loc
Memphis
My cousin recently died and his wife gave me all his guns to sort through and get prices on. I've got all them handled except for what I think is a Mauser GEW?
Any info on it would be rad, and whats the market price?

Attachments

• IMG-0055.jpg
    IMG-0055.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG-0051.jpg
    IMG-0051.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG-0054.jpg
    IMG-0054.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
Turkish. Probably a gew 88. Armory refinished by turkey when they were preparing for wwii.

Value isn’t much from my research. I hope someone else can prove me wrong because I have one too.

Value isn’t much from my research. I hope someone else can prove me wrong because I have one too.
I searched for an hour and didn't find what you had so theres that. If fires an 8mm Mauser then?
Any idea on what a fair price would be?

Since we’re talking mauser, any idea what that carving in the stock is?
3C6328A0-21BD-4E88-86EA-16AC3374ABA1.jpeg

EF33639B-6BCE-4E73-8665-727C4A78C078.jpeg

I searched for an hour and didn't find what you had so theres that. If fires an 8mm Mauser then?
Any idea on what a fair price would be?
I think 8mm Mauser. They’ve been modified a couple times in the last 140 years so who knows if they’ve been upgraded to shoot the spitzer bullets that have the higher case pressures. I think there is antique pressure ammo available. Be careful of some of the military surplus. Some is rated for machine guns that were made later on.
Follow the website I put out there earlier and that will help you with the markings and modifications to figure out what armory did the work and what was most likely done.
Example, look for stripper clip tabs welded onto the receiver. Look for a notch at the front of the receiver that would allow the longer spitzer cartridges.

I dont think there is an upgrade to higher pressure from the earlier to the later Model 98. I dont think that is possible. Also, the bore is different size, and newer, like circa 1898, higher pressure ammo with the larger diameter in the olde weapon is a pressure error. The earlier Mausers have that single stack exposed magazine, the newer are double stack and contained within the stock. The existence of archaic weapons like the one pictured is exactly why Winchester, Remington and Federal all load low pressure, low velocity ammunition for "8x57" Mauser. European Lapua, Norma and Prvi all load much higher pressures nearly equaling the SAAMI 30-06.

I wish I could help more, but that is a confusing crest. Older pre 1900 design with a 1937 date. The old Mauser Central site appears to be gone. Probably too many :eek: arguing on it.

Do the serial numbers on the bolt, and receiver match ? How dark is the bore ?

Edit: GEW is the newer model 98. Yours looks like an older low pressure one, ie not a model 98 but a 1895'. Little more than a WAG.

Since we’re talking mauser, any idea what that carving in the stock is?
3C6328A0-21BD-4E88-86EA-16AC3374ABA1.jpeg

EF33639B-6BCE-4E73-8665-727C4A78C078.jpeg
I’m not sure but this one is in a lot rougher shape obviously. Even the markings aren’t crisp.

check to see if 7mm. ie a .284 bullet will drop in, a .318 or .323 will not. Not a Model 98 as far as I can tell.
Most Mausers have date of manufacture on the crest, and the model clearly indicated.

Definitely not even knowledgeable, but... Could it be a Chinese copy? (surpips not Jakeys)

There isn't a whole lot of love for Turkish mausers on the market. You would be lucky to get 300 for it. 200 is probably more realistic.

Not a Chinese "copy". That is not really possible. There were Chinese Mausers but they are not copies. They have chinese on them.

Condition - Bore ? Matching anything ? Is it 7 or 8 mm ?

Suggest you go here. I think this is what I was trying to find earlier.

There are over 400 threads on Turkish Mauser there. :beer:

There isn't a whole lot of love for Turkish mausers on the market. You would be lucky to get 300 for it. 200 is probably more realistic.
I’m probably going to offer her a lump sum and buy all of them. Just trying to get an idea

but its got the roll marks?
The roll marks on your rifle look sandblasted. They aren’t clear like the OP’s rifle. Mine are much more legible. Check out what the Chinese Mauser markings look like. That stock marking looks more “Asian” to me. To be fair, I’m only looking at pictures and the markings on the one my friend has too.

Top Back Refresh