What's new

Leaf Spring Question (yes, I'm poor)

kschaper75

Weak and Powerless
Member Number
Loc
Raleigh NC
What's the best way to stop them from doing this? It's worse on the driver's side due to a leaking steering box that's now fixed.

Attachments

• 20211003_102515.jpg
    20211003_102515.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 117
I bought some after doing some more searching. Should I weld them or just put them on and bend the tabs down?

I was knocking them back over every time we stopped as they were hitting the tire. I will also need to wash the oil off too so they aren't so slick.

In high school I used beefy hose clamps. :laughing:

Duct tape. It works amazing. Honestly.

I’ve broken off, ripped apart, and bent every metal type. Even welded closed.

Imo it really helps keeping a stress riser from a vulnerable area of the pack in extreme instances.

It’s also very easy to inspect, and cheap to replace.

I tear one open once in a while from extreme mistakes that would have harmed the pack imo.

Racing finds weakness. This has been my solution for the last set of packs. They have lasted the longest yet.

01A26D7C-4AF0-4D20-B4ED-04763C2F6A41.jpeg

Straps/clamps. Hose clamp or tape is a trail fix, I fabbed my own clamps from 1" flatbar and bolted them into the end of the leaf. I'll try to find a pic.

I used stainless worm gear hose clamps.

What about just taking a pair of leafs to a spring shop and having them install factory style clamps? I would like to think it wouldn't be that expensive. I've always intended to look into it

Mine behave better after going to 5/8" u bolts and adding a hose clamp to the spring at each end of the perch.

What about just taking a pair of leafs to a spring shop and having them install factory style clamps? I would like to think it wouldn't be that expensive. I've always intended to look into it

Mine behave better after going to 5/8" u bolts and adding a hose clamp to the spring at each end of the perch.

Where do you live that there are just spring shops around the corner? 1970s Detroit? :flipoff2:

I'm in Washington. It looks like there are a couple spring shops within an hour drive. Are spring shops really that rare?
Well, I've got to drive 90 minutes to get to one, but I'm in BFE.

They are certainly not as common as they were 30 years ago. Most people and businesses just go to the internet or parts store and order springs these days. Very few build custom packs or have springs made/repaired anymore.

i make my own spring clamps out of 3/8" flat stock, 1/4" doesnt hold up for idiot style driving. i weld them to the very end of a leaf

gorilla tape is better than regular duct tape, it works better than 1/4" clamps too :laughing:

This is a pic of my parking brake extension, but if you look at the spring perch, there are a couple tabs welded on there that keep the springs in line. They are 1/4" thick, which seems to be about the minimum thickness, at least in my experience. I have some on another truck that I made from 3/16", and they are just starting to bend.
DSCN2027.JPG

Top Back Refresh