What's new

Lawn Tractor - Cub Cadet

Weasel

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Black Hills, SoDak
Cub Cadet 125 for sale locally, I know my grandpa had something along these lines that seemed to work pretty well.

Are they worth looking into or not?

It's not as clean as some I have seen online and definitely shows it's age and wear at least cosmetically. It's a hydrostat.

How much grass do you need to mow? If its more than about an acre I would start looking at zero turns. They are faster, more efficient and more expensive :lmao:

It's like forest/unimproved grass-ish areas. Not like a lawn residential lawn. About an acre ish now but ould be more as I get it cleaned up.

I have a 1450 that I bought because I wanted a mower than I could work on/with....

After it turned 38...ish, (so, after I'd had it a few years) I spent as much time working on it as I did working with it.:homer:

I have a four year old Cub Cadet XT3. Fucking pile of garbage. Just broke the steering arm again. Broke it last year. I work on this thing constantly. 316 hours on it.

My next tractor will be a Wheelhorse, or anything before the MTD takeover, or Kubota.

I'd jump on it if the price is right. My rider is a 60's simplicity and I couldn't be happier. Cheap, easy, dangerous and bulletproof.

I maintain about 2.5 acres around my house with a Cub Cadet that I bought about 4 years ago. It does ok on the areas that are primarily lawn type grass but sucks cutting anything with tall weeds. The deck clogs easily as well. I have to stop and clean out the grass build up quite a bit. I work the shit out of that tractor and for the most part it has held up pretty good. I did replace the rear wheel bearing seals last summer but other than that not much else other than regular maintenance.

I'm thinking when this wears out, I will get a zero turn. I don't like spending an entire day mowing grass and I don't like to get off the tractor once I start.

Or, thinking I will just buy the cheapest garden tractor I can find and abuse the shit out of it for a few years and replace it. They are not cheap.

grew up with that tractor, cut 2 acres with it each week from 7 years old till i moved out.
could not kill it.
solid machine.
wish i still had it.
real metal deck.
easy to work on.

whats a good prices on these? He already had some work done on it, carb kits, hoes, generator/stator, pulleys, spindle.

And there's a big difference between the old mowers and new things like everything else.

whats a good prices on these? He already had some work done on it, carb kits, hoes, generator/stator, pulleys, spindle.

And there's a big difference between the old mowers and new things like everything else.

Yeah there is. My dad's Wheelhorse he bought 34 years ago is still running, and still plowing snow and hauling firewood. Onan motor.

I bought mine running with plow, snow blower and mower for $300. It's only a 10 horse, 3sp. Dumped about the same into belts blades ect...
Rare attachments are pricy.
The cheapest riding mower I could find new was 1k.
I have a smaller lot to mow.
Old is good in my book.

depending on condition
i see them in cny from 125 to 1000
i would say by your discretion 250 to 350.
depending on how are tires and fluids look.

good machine, K301 engine, the hydro will be nice to mow with... you can still get allot of parts...They dont turn very tight if you have allot of obstacles... I would seek out a 1250 1450 or 1650 quietline if I was going for an older cub mower.

"garden tractor"

good machine, K301 engine, the hydro will be nice to mow with... you can still get allot of parts...They dont turn very tight if you have allot of obstacles... I would seek out a 1250 1450 or 1650 quietline if I was going for an older cub mower.

"garden tractor"

I see a lot of these posted for sale for good prices. I wasn't sure of the reliability of them. Good to know.

The newest tractor that has my interest piqued is the new Bad Boy zero turn mowers. I haven't researched much, but the made in America would be nice with a Kawasaki motor.

The newest tractor that has my interest piqued is the new Bad Boy zero turn mowers. I haven't researched much, but the made in America would be nice with a Kawasaki motor.

They are nice machines but those commercials are idiotic. "Mow with attitude" What in the fawk does that even mean?

The hydro makes it less desirable/valuable. The manual trans CC's are getting harder to find as pullers gobble them up. The cub cadet manual transaxle is without equal the strongest, best, lawn tractor transmission ever made for pulling. It's the same trans that was used in the farmall cub small farm tractor with 4-cyl's, but with planetary drives to the farm tractor size tires. In the 60's, that was the smallest transmission IH had so they decided to make it work in a riding lawn mower.

The 125 is a good machine.

if you are fine with working on older equipment you'll have no problems with it. The electronics are simple and the design is very basic.

The price range is all over the map. I collect old cubs and pay anywhere from a couple hundred to over 1000 depending on condition.

What do you plan to use it for?

The hydro makes it less desirable/valuable. The manual trans CC's are getting harder to find as pullers gobble them up. The cub cadet manual transaxle is without equal the strongest, best, lawn tractor transmission ever made for pulling. It's the same trans that was used in the farmall cub small farm tractor with 4-cyl's, but with planetary drives to the farm tractor size tires. In the 60's, that was the smallest transmission IH had so they decided to make it work in a riding lawn mower.

manuals are tough as nails but unless you have a specific need for one the hydro will do just fine. I haul, push, dig, spread, throw, and mow with hydros and I've never had an issue.

No denying the strength of a manual, but holy hell does it suck mowing with one. I can honestly say I don't miss that at all.

It's like forest/unimproved grass-ish areas. Not like a lawn residential lawn. About an acre ish now but ould be more as I get it cleaned up.

I bought a 42" Cub Cadet from the local Tractor Supply about 2 years ago. I mow almost an acre of the same stuff you've got. So far it's worked flawlessly.

The 125 is a good machine.

if you are fine with working on older equipment you'll have no problems with it. The electronics are simple and the design is very basic.

The price range is all over the map. I collect old cubs and pay anywhere from a couple hundred to over 1000 depending on condition.

What do you plan to use it for?

Mowing, maybe a small trailer, snow blade or maybe a thrower. It's a woods area that has maybe 1/2 acre plus a bit more with a few small hillsides, there is probably another 1/4 acre on the front side and 1/2 acre that hasn't been cut before but seems like it should be. It doesn't look sure hammered but it is used. He's asking $900, seemed high but I don't know either. Said his repair work ran him $700.

Mowing, maybe a small trailer, snow blade or maybe a thrower. It's a woods area that has maybe 1/2 acre plus a bit more with a few small hillsides, there is probably another 1/4 acre on the front side and 1/2 acre that hasn't been cut before but seems like it should be. It doesn't look sure hammered but it is used. He's asking $900, seemed high but I don't know either. Said his repair work ran him $700.

I noticed some yards in your area are plagued with rocks...is yours?

I noticed some yards in your area are plagued with rocks...is yours?

oh probably, seems like they got most of the surface stuff picked up from the last owners but they tend to surface over time. Or they are big enough (boulders) they will stay right under the surface. Branches and thistles are the biggest no grass issues right now.

What does it come with? For $900 it better have a good deck, new tires, snowblower, and sleeve hitch at a minimum. If it's just a belly mower, that's a $300-500 item.

Here's a deal that's going to sell fast:
https://wausau.craigslist.org/grd/d/...151955106.html

@ThePanzerFuhrer

If there's roots and such in the yard the 125 probably wont be the most comfortable to ride around on but if it was fine in 1967 its still fine now.

If you plan to throw snow be aware your only option is single stage. I have no problems with mine but some guys dont like them.

did he say what was done for that $700? It should be almost completely rebuilt for that price. If no body work was done it should at least have rebuilt valves, new electronics and ignition and probably a rebuilt motor. That or your getting it with good attachments.

No denying the strength of a manual, but holy hell does it suck mowing with one. I can honestly say I don't miss that at all.

No argument from me, hydro is great, foot controlled hydro is even better. Can also port for aux. hydro toys. Also, if you plan on tilling or snowthrowing you have to have hydro. A manual with an underdrive will work, but hydro is still better and they underdrives are the price of an entire tractor.

I meant to say that the hydro reduces the price on the market. It does however make it a better lawn mower.

The open diff can be a pain in the ass on hills.

Top Back Refresh