What's new

Late 14 bolt 8x180 hub conversion

Gunhand1

Member Number
Loc
Best Virginia
So I picked up a cheap (free) 14 bolt and after looking it over I realized that it is some later version that has what looks like 8x180 bolt pattern hubs.

Has anyone ever successfully converted one of these back to a 8x6.5 hub, maybe from a gmt800 era 14bff?

Worst case I guess I can pull the hub off my 05 2500HD, but I'd like to save myself the work....

Can you go on like rock auto and cross reference the bearings and races? I think that's where I would start.
Not a bad idea. I just checked and it looks like the bearings are different. I may go ahead and pull a hub and check for shits n giggles, but it probably wont work. Maybe I could redrill them but that would be a PITA

Re drilling them really isn't that big of a deal. you can always run a spacer to convert, that's how I'm getting 8x170mm on my 05 14 bolt

Re drilling them really isn't that big of a deal. you can always run a spacer to convert, that's how I'm getting 8x170mm on my 05 14 bolt

I may give redrilling a go, spacers would be easy but this thing already measures out at 70" WMS and that's without the discs on it.

Is there any good wheeling around you in MoTown? I moved to the EPH and havent found much here yet.

Measure the hub diameter before anything and see if you can even fit a normal 8x6.5 wheel on.

I figured they went to 8x180 to make room for bigger bearings and/or spindle. But that may be more for the Aam 11.5 and they just made the 14b the same pattern to keep things the same.

Of course 8x170 wouldn't have worked :homer:

I may give redrilling a go, spacers would be easy but this thing already measures out at 70" WMS and that's without the discs on it.

Is there any good wheeling around you in MoTown? I moved to the EPH and havent found much here yet.
there's a lot of "private" land we play on close to Morgantown. My local group spends a lot of time at Good Evening Ranch outside of Summersville WV and in Wellsville OH

Measure the hub diameter before anything and see if you can even fit a normal 8x6.5 wheel on.

I figured they went to 8x180 to make room for bigger bearings and/or spindle. But that may be more for the Aam 11.5 and they just made the 14b the same pattern to keep things the same.

Of course 8x170 wouldn't have worked :homer:
I'll definitely have to check that diameter too. I'm with ya, I dont know why they couldn't have standardized on 8x170, it's not like they all didnt share 8x6.5 perfectly fine for 3 decades.

there's a lot of "private" land we play on close to Morgantown. My local group spends a lot of time at Good Evening Ranch outside of Summersville WV and in Wellsville OH
Ahhh ok. I used to live much closer to the Ranch, great place to wheel. I'm fairly close to Chaos and Big Dogs, I guess I should give them a try...........or just trailer to the ranch haha

I'll definitely have to check that diameter too. I'm with ya, I dont know why they couldn't have standardized on 8x170, it's not like they all didnt share 8x6.5 perfectly fine for 3 decades.
There's no reason to have anything of that 8x170-220 shit.

Just use a 5/6 lug pattern of an old MDT (if you want freedom units) or euro/jap MDT (if you want commie units).

Top Back Refresh