What's new

Landscaping with rock instead of grass can I do it

Honky Lips

Welcome to the shit show.
Member Number
Loc
Omaha, Ne “ish”
I’m looking at doing a west coast don’t have to mow it yard. Because I want to.

so be in your average got some common sense guy I’m thinking how hard could it be to spread rock around on geotextile fabric and why should I pay a company to come in and do my landscaping when it seems like it something I can easily do myself. However I don’t want it to turn out looking like a homeowner clearly did a DIY job on this and regret not hiring a professional to do it.

pics of ideas.

6921D146-7C0F-4F14-93EF-CE5F802D7687.jpeg

4A7533EB-0848-4A39-A584-90DF8BD105FE.jpeg

The only issue is no matter how hard you try in our wet environment there will be weeds trying to grow in the rock. Even clear rock on fabric in 2 years there will be weeds in it.

This...although liberal application of round up could take care of most of it.

But also, the biggest reason to hire is you've got tons and tons and tons of rock to move and without equipment that is going to be a pain in the ass.

Put 6mil or better plastic down first the fabric

If you hit the weeds hard in the beginning of spring, or/and use the year long ground sterilizer they aren't too bad the rest of the season.

Let them go, and your messing with them all season.

Using fabric underlayment also keeps your rock from disappearing with the rain (vs just grading and just spreading rock)

I have a little over 100 yards of steep ditch along the road in front of my house. It’s too steep to mow and too much to weed whip all the time. A few years ago I sprayed 2/3’s of it where it’s the steepest, let the weeds die off, then put down the thicker landscape fabric and covered it with 2” clean stone. The first two years no weeds come through but now I have to spray it twice a year to keep the weeds in control, but that’s a lot better then what I was dealing with before.

Was going to say I know nothing of the process, but two neighbors went to it. One looked like crap right out of the gate cause poor layout and design, the second paid a company and although it looked great, over time the weeds started winning, both look marginal and unkept.

Another guy did drought tolerant plants, a mix of ground cover and taller plants, by far his looks the best. if there are weeds they are hidden better in the greenery

YMMV

Put 6mil or better plastic down first the fabric

Do not do this. You don't want all of the water to run off of your yard. You might as well pave it.

Use a 4 oz. non-woven geotextile, and your stone of choice. Keep organic debris blown off/out of the rock. Buy glypho concentrate and a sprayer.

I have a little over 100 yards of steep ditch along the road in front of my house. It’s too steep to mow and too much to weed whip all the time. A few years ago I sprayed 2/3’s of it where it’s the steepest, let the weeds die off, then put down the thicker landscape fabric and covered it with 2” clean stone. The first two years no weeds come through but now I have to spray it twice a year to keep the weeds in control, but that’s a lot better then what I was dealing with before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzjzh2AKoug

plant a fuckton of pine trees
they'll kill off the grass and weeds if you plant them dense enough

We did raised beds/river rock "dry creek bed" in the front 15 years ago...weed as needed, change out olants that die every once in a while, barkdust the rest every two or three years. FUCK grass. :homer:
Easy and low maintenance.

I found out by accident that def fluid makes great scorched earth weed and grass killer. It's far cheaper than round up.

At what dilution? I just applied $300 in herbicide and have another $600 or so to do

Fabric will only help to keep your rock from disappearing, but as another said you do need to try and wash/ blow/ clean out organic accumulations over time. There is no scenario where you will not need to use herbicide (but I do not think that you are worried about that).

As a Landscape Contractor I am well aware that “landscaping” is the only “trade” that literally every person thinks they can do. As a middle ground, I’ll recommend paying a professional for a design and material spec; then by all means sweat it out yourself.

I put road fabric under my barkdust instead of the landscape stuff. Keeps the bigger weeds from taking root.

God you yard cocksuckers are the absolute fucking worst I swear to fucking god. :frown: If you're not draining aquifers making a grass carpeting in the desert, you're blasting roundup all over. You all seriously need to get retroactive birth defects.

Imagine blasting chemicals into your own yard for pretty.

God you yard cocksuckers are the absolute fucking worst I swear to fucking god. :frown: If you're not draining aquifers making a grass carpeting in the desert, you're blasting roundup all over. You all seriously need to get retroactive birth defects.

Hey shhhh... My job depends on them draining aquifers...

:flipoff2:

We will be fine. You are already a birth defect!:flipoff2:

My front landscaping is stone and fabric. It’s ugly, needs to be sprayed 3-4times a year. And was very heavy to put down, I watched them and it looked like it sucked.

Fabric will only help to keep your rock from disappearing, but as another said you do need to try and wash/ blow/ clean out organic accumulations over time. There is no scenario where you will not need to use herbicide (but I do not think that you are worried about that).

As a Landscape Contractor I am well aware that “landscaping” is the only “trade” that literally every person thinks they can do. As a middle ground, I’ll recommend paying a professional for a design and material spec; then by all means sweat it out yourself.

You consider landscaping a trade? Im not questioning you but never considered it. I used to work at Marders in LI, I think that name is TV level famous. Looking back they had educated designers doing the layouts and lackies like me loading plants. If you drive around here you can tell who DIY. It’s more than obvious.

You consider landscaping a trade? Im not questioning you but never considered it. I used to work at Marders in LI, I think that name is TV level famous. Looking back they had educated designers doing the layouts and lackies like me loading plants. If you drive around here you can tell who DIY. It’s more than obvious.

A friend of ours girlfriend went to trade school for landscaping and landscape design. I didn't even know that existed until she told us about it.

A friend of ours girlfriend went to trade school for landscaping and landscape design. I didn't even know that existed until she told us about it.

It does. I've got a bachelor's degree in Horticulture and Landscape Design from U.T., and there are many more programs across the country.

It's about like any other trade. Anyone can handle the basics. If things get complicated or you want it to look better, call a pro.

I've watched every video in Andrew Camarata's library. He styles himself as a Landscape Excavator. I just wrote a big post about his niche, but there is DEFINITELY a 'Landscape Excavator' niche in upstate NY and it's a sweet one. There is still that niche in Michigan but there are fewer side jobs. I'd imagine the West would be a combination.

If you want to do ANYTHING with the ground in Camarata's neighborhood, you need a 23+ horsepower machine.

Top Back Refresh