What's new

Kokopelli Trail overland trip

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
How many have run the Kokopelli Trail from Loma CO over to Moab and back? This is kind of a bucket list thing for me. I have wheeled Moab multiple times so I am familiar with a lot of the trails around the Dewey bridge area on the UT side.

If I planned a trip for late Sept/early Oct how many would be interested in joining? My wife can't do the tent camping/sleeping rough anymore so would be just me coming. I am in the Kansas City area so one day drive, grab a local motel to sleep then stage/start the trail. I would camp on trail first night hopefully around Top of the World/Dewey Bridge area. Second day run on into Moab to resupply/buy a sticker then head back out. Sleep the second night on the trail somewhere and get back to the truck on 3rd trail day. Get a room for the night before the drive home to shower and rest up. Day 5 is the long drive home.. :(

Reactions: DMG
I don't want to hijack Cartercraft's thread so I will move the conversation to here.

Plan is to build a roof rack for my XP using some 1"-14ga round tubing that I already have. I have a Cagewrx Baja spec cage so the roof is more or less flat. Will add 2-2.5g Fuelpax fuel cans to the roof as well as a 4" PVC tube with caps to put a rear axle in.Also have a drybag to put clothes/toiletries/ I don't really want weight up top but there is only so much room in a 2 seater. Bed will have my Rigid box with tools, compressor, 2-50' winch extension lines, couple belts. Behind that a dry box of some sort (leaning towards the Action Packer 8g) for my cooking gear. Spare tire on top of that stuff. I am going back and forth on carrying a spare. I carry plugs, and will order some sidewall slugs so not sure I want the added weight of a spare. I have a small rack I built above the bed about 4" lower than the roof line that is 26" wide and 12" deep. There I will put the tent, folding chair and maybe my sleeping bag.

Edit: Forgot to say the pass seat will come out, a Tusk platform added and mount my ARB fridge there.

Wife can't take tent camping anymore and 300 miles in 3 days would kick her ass. She's got chronic pain, a bad back and neck. :frown:

Last edited:
This would be a dream trip for me and some other SXS buddies. I don't have anything to add, but I am in for updates.

I would be in for the trip in my ranger, but this year is already booked out with fun trips. No room in the calendar for something like this in 2022.

So looked at the paper I wrote the bed dimensions on. With the Rigid box in the bed I have 19w x 14deep to put a box in. that pretty much means I am limited to the Action Packer 8g. I really wanted to run the MTM since it is o-ringed lid but it's 2" too wide.

Ended up going by REI to pick up an Action Packer 8. It was the only place local that had any in stock that I could find online. I prefer not to give money to the over priced granola crowd but sometimes you have to go behind enemy lines to accomplish a task. :laughing:

Ordered another Rotopax mount, extension and 4.5g Fuelpax container. I already have a 2.5g Fuelpax and one mount. I feel pretty good about having 7 gallons to take with me. I most likely won't need that much but better safe than sorry. I am way too old and out of shape to be walking across the desert!

Bought an Action Packer 8g tote to sit behind Rigid box. Plan to use the Action Packer for a kitchen grub box. Will put my spare tire on top and hold it on with a Y spare tire strap.

IMG_20220116_074540586.jpg
IMG_20220116_074620814.jpg

Kinda leaning towards going the last weekend in Sept. My thought was start the Kokopelli on Thursday morning, camp at Dewey or close that night. roll into Moab Friday afternoon, grab a campsite somewhere in town for the night. Run a couple local trails then run up 128 highway along the river almost to 70 then cut across to CO and the trucks. It's still gonna be 90 miles or so but can do it in 3-4 hours instead of wheeling all the way back. My thought is once I run the trail to Moab I don't need to run it back going back to the truck. I really don't relish the idea of climbing Rose Garden Hill completely loaded down with all that gear either. lol Climbing it last year with just a normal trail ride load out was enough.

A few years ago we used to stay at Slickrock Campground on the north end of town but looks like they got bought out by a bigger company now. Last couple years we have stayed on the south end of town at Moab Rim Campark. It's really nice locally owned campground but it's south of Moab town but really easy to get to from Sand Flats area.

For the 2 half days we will be in Moab I planned to run a couple of the iconic trails. Most likely run Poison Spider/Golden Spike at least. Might run Flat Iron Mesa on Saturday before heading back to the truck.. Just have to see how things go. I am really excited for this trip. Have a lot I need to get done to my RZR before then. Currently have 2 buddies going with me so 3 buggies. My R&T, a XPT4 on portals and a X3 Max 4seater.

Sounds like a blast.

Have you thought about a rear reciever hitch mounted spare, might give you lower CG and flexibility of being able to remove it if needed.

I started to build one for my wife but found a more permanent option in the same place.
I had the same concerns about carrying the weight up high. Might be worry wort though but it makes me feel better on her narrow 50" rig.

Screenshot_20220128-235231_Photos.jpg

I keep going back and forth on carrying a spare. I know some people won't go without one and others don't even own a spare. I carry a compressor and plugs always. Was gonna grab some Sidewall slugs as well. Personally I have never had a puncture that I couldn't just plug, and it wasn't even on my buggy. Here in the Midwest I just leave the spare tire and axles in the truck. I don't like carrying all that extra weight. But it's only 2 miles back to the truck here..

Out first Colorado trip I was pretty stressed with the OEM maxis paper thin sidewall tires, no issues though. Since my son and I ride bikes, I don't need the SXS to have a major problem so bad ass kevlar tires and a spare was worth it.

I have a set of BFG KM3 I will most likely run on that trip. I prefer to run my sticky Zillas in Moab but I don't want to burn them up on the road portions.

This would be alot of fun. Living in grand junction ive always thought about it but have also heard there are sections that are "non motorized only" bs.

This would be alot of fun. Living in grand junction ive always thought about it but have also heard there are sections that are "non motorized only" bs.
would love to do this trip but with diesel prices doubling since the initial idea I may cancel. Plus putting SD plates on my RZR for this is $800 or so. And supposedly MO won't recognize them..

I am not totally opposed to it but need to figure some things out.. Would probably need to go over Labor Day weekend or something so I can stretch my vacation time.

There is a FB group specifically for the UTV Kokopelli trail and it bypasses the single track sections of the trail. Kokopelli SXS

Last edited:
would love to do this trip but with diesel prices doubling since the initial idea I may cancel.
we have plans to tow two rigs to moab at the end of july. with an average MPG@11, avg fuel price at $6 and a 3200m round trip i might not have the dough either.

we have plans to tow two rigs to moab at the end of july. with an average MPG@11, avg fuel price at $6 and a 3200m round trip i might not have the dough either.
Moab in July is gonna be hot.. Buddy and I took the wives in 2017 for labor Day week and it was hot as fawk. like 104 every day in the valley. Tried to get them to get up at 0500 or something and ride 'til noon then go back to camp and nap/fuck off during the hottest part of the day. Uh we're on vacation we aren't getting up that early. well then don't bitch about the heat. lol:shaking:

We ended up riding in the valley 'til noon each day then ran trails in the La Salle mountains in the afternoon. 9-10k elevation it was 70* :smokin:

I think my Ram gets about 11mpg pulling my goose with two buggies on it. Splitting fuel with a friend helps at least.

Do you guys straight shot thru from home to Moab or do you stop over night somewhere?

Moab in July is gonna be hot.. Buddy and I took the wives in 2017 for labor Day week and it was hot as fawk. like 104 every day in the valley. Tried to get them to get up at 0500 or something and ride 'til noon then go back to camp and nap/fuck off during the hottest part of the day. Uh we're on vacation we aren't getting up that early. well then don't bitch about the heat. lol:shaking:

We ended up riding in the valley 'til noon each day then ran trails in the La Salle mountains in the afternoon. 9-10k elevation it was 70* :smokin:

I think my Ram gets about 11mpg pulling my goose with two buggies on it. Splitting fuel with a friend helps at least.

Do you guys straight shot thru from home to Moab or do you stop over night somewhere?
aaaaand the trip is canceled.

my buddy got orders to report to KS two weeks before our trip. ☹️☹️

we did have a stop planned both up and on the way back.
the hope was our south louisiana blood will help us tolerate the heat, and just as you mentioned, getting out there early, taking a long late lunch during the peak heat, then fucking off in the evening.

i got about the same 10-11MPG with my ram out to KOH last year, so i figured a little more elevation would knock me down a few points.

Top Back Refresh