What's new

Koi fish?

Boss

Rabble-Rouser
Member Number
Loc
Salem Oregon
Anyone deal with them? I built a pond for gold fish , turtles and frogs. The wife wanted these two koi but now they are getting too big. Guessing they are 14" id like to sell them but don't know a good starting point.The internet says they are worth some coin but I don't know the sex or type these are yet...anyone with experience?
20200527_202151.jpg

Shoot 'em with a 9mmhp they will evaporate and feed the3 other fish. That's all I got :flipoff2:

Last edited:
My neighbor has some. He's always bitching because eagles and hawks are always grabbing them up and taking them home for a delicious fish dinner.

My neighbor has some. He's always bitching because eagles and hawks are always grabbing them up and taking them home for a delicious fish dinner.

We have plenty of both, even the Great Blue Heron. They only take the goldfish. My pond has a deep end with obstacles so they can hide. His pond isn't deep enough. I'd prefer to get cash.

This is what I'm finding. I know I can't get what a breeder gets but I should be able to profit some. ...and these are small compared to mine.

koi.PNG

I wonder if there is a threshold for disease? Seems like if someone is going to buy a $159.99 fish, they would want the thing to survive a given quarantine period without developing a disease and ruining their entire crop. That's how exotic marine fish work afaik. Just something to look into I think.

I wonder if there is a threshold for disease? Seems like if someone is going to buy a $159.99 fish, they would want the thing to survive a given quarantine period without developing a disease and ruining their entire crop. That's how exotic marine fish work afaik. Just something to look into I think.

I totally get that and have thought about it.This is why I know I won't get top dollar. Seems I should get something for them though...looking for a starting point I guess.

You are digging a long ditch right now aren't you? Throw the CARP in that.:flipoff2:

I got nothing else.

Koi are pretty sturdy, given the environment they live in, and are not as fickle as say salt water fish. I have two koi ponds (800 gallon & 500 gallon) with 9 total koi ranging from 10" - 18" in length. A while back I was having an algae bloom and tossed in my go-to chemicals to manage it.

Must have over dosed and dramatically reduced the available oxygen in the ponds. Koi were sort of leaning to their sides, gasping; and some started loosing scales. I drained about 3/4 of the total water volume and replaced with fresh. The next day they were all better. By the next day they were eating again.....

Top Back Refresh