What's new

KOH tech inspection?

Arickvan

PBB transfer
Member Number
Loc
Oakley CA
This may be a dumb question, but how stringent is the tech inspection at Koh?

What are some areas that they hold high standards on vs areas that they gloss over?

Thanks in advance:beer:

KOH inspection is VERY stringent. If it's a new build that needs an Ultra4 sticker, print out the rulebook and follow it to the letter. If you're unsure about something, ask. I'm not sure exactly who is in charge of KOH inspection still but JT Taylor is the race director for Ultra4 USA. They will 100% prevent you from being able to race if you show up with something that is not legal and not fixable on the lake bed.

I agree to both. It seems new stuff getting inspected for the first time today is stringent but old stuff that’s been in use for years are not up to the same standards they use today

I feel like I’ve seen something about re-tagging all cars under USAC either 22 or into 23 with the changes.

This may be a dumb question, but how stringent is the tech inspection at Koh?

What are some areas that they hold high standards on vs areas that they gloss over?

Thanks in advance:beer:
If its out of the box thinking please share ! If its unsafe why even try?

If its out of the box thinking please share ! If its unsafe why even try?
I was thinking about doing a mock tech inspection my buddy who's doing 4600 for the first time but I realized I don't really know what specific things they'll be super critical about vs "eh that's good"

I was thinking about doing a mock tech inspection my buddy who's doing 4600 for the first time but I realized I don't really know what specific things they'll be super critical about vs "eh that's good"
You can reach out to Ultra4 or USAC and ask about areas to focus on, frequently over-looked items, and general best practices before getting the vehicle banded and passing through tech. There is also the 4600-Class Group on FB that opens to registered Drivers that is worthwhile as well.

I know this does not apply to most people on here, but is there not a “street legal” class? Meaning, if it’s got a plate, it can run?

I know this does not apply to most people on here, but is there not a “street legal” class? Meaning, if it’s got a plate, it can run?
No, not in ultra 4

I think that's more of an asphalt thing

so i was just looking through the rules for the ultra 4 and in some respects it is vague but in other things it is very specific. and maybe vague is not right word. just my inexperience with reading the rules. very cool actually.

The safety aspects are not vague at all, and that's what the KOH / Ultra4 inspectors are going to look at. They could give a shit about class specific rules (i.e. 4600). That is up to the class representatives to inspect/approve. If you are 100% sure your vehicle meets exactly what the primary guidelines require, you'll be fine. From what I understand the grandfathered in stuff will be eventually phased out. Once they started re-banding stuff I saw a lot of older sketchy stuff get rebuilt with new legal chassis.

exactly,,, i think what's vague is they don't limit you to any vehicle, just follow these rules. and some of it is my general ignorance when it comes to some of the terminology. or slang .

I am also kind of curious to see how mine will tech. Its banded and grandfathered in, and I have put a lot of time fixing old wore out stuff.
My first U4 race was Sturgis, all they basically did was check my safety equipment (suits, helmet's, window nets etc..) and at nationals there wasn't even a tech. I've just heard it can be very dependent on who you have teching the car. Some are super anal and some aren't.

I'm really curious and maybe a little concerned on how they will go about the re branding of every car. I definitely don't think its a bad thing but cars with 1.75" chassis and over 4400 lbs will be not legal? That could put a lot of people out of racing.

I am also kind of curious to see how mine will tech. Its banded and grandfathered in, and I have put a lot of time fixing old wore out stuff.
My first U4 race was Sturgis, all they basically did was check my safety equipment (suits, helmet's, window nets etc..) and at nationals there wasn't even a tech. I've just heard it can be very dependent on who you have teching the car. Some are super anal and some aren't.

I'm really curious and maybe a little concerned on how they will go about the re branding of every car. I definitely don't think its a bad thing but cars with 1.75" chassis and over 4400 lbs will be not legal? That could put a lot of people
I'd highly recommend getting it stickered BEFORE KOH. They usually offer up some shops that are working with Ultra4 to get cars teched. You'd still go through tech at contingency but it's WAY easier to pass than a first time sticker tech

I'd highly recommend getting it stickered BEFORE KOH. They usually offer up some shops that are working with Ultra4 to get cars teched. You'd still go through tech at contingency but it's WAY easier to pass than a first time sticker tech
Is a sticker different than a band? This car has raced multiple KOH, probably 4-6 times with the most recent being 18 & 19. This will be my first KOH race with this car though.

Top Back Refresh