What's new

KoH 2021 Chit Chat

Here's some great footage of Randy Slawson's pass on Sledge Hammer that got people pissed off (It is the 6th video): https://www.instagram.com/p/CLLc5Q3D...on_share_sheet

EDIT: Here is a link to just the footage of Randy: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLLp6K0F5Jf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I can see why people would have been pissed off; not only was he driving through a winching operation, but he broke the cable that was under tension while course workers were near the cable.

Also, supposedly the Lite Brite crew were the only ones to make it through without winching :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Kinda a dick move, but christ sakes, they had a long ass time to un hook or at least drop the tension and let him by. Obviously he was able to make the pass.

Kinda a dick move, but christ sakes, they had a long ass time to un hook or at least drop the tension and let him by. Obviously he was able to make the pass.

Meh, the clevice snagged and broke. I don’t see it as a dick move. He did not run over the line like Wayes did years ago on back door.

Here's some great footage of Randy Slawson's pass on Sledge Hammer that got people pissed off (It is the 6th video): https://www.instagram.com/p/CLLc5Q3D...on_share_sheet

EDIT: Here is a link to just the footage of Randy: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLLp6K0F5Jf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I can see why people would have been pissed off; not only was he driving through a winching operation, but he broke the cable that was under tension while course workers were near the cable.

Also, supposedly the Lite Brite crew were the only ones to make it through without winching :flipoff2:

I've zero issues with that pass

It looks like it just snagged on the mirror so I'm guessing he figured he'd either run alongside it or go under it. IMO it was certainly nowhere near the blatant disregard for another competitor like the Tom Wayes incident.

That's why its called racing and not politically correct day on the trails. If you don't like it you shouldn't race. :shaking:

I also didn't have a problem with the Wayes pass a few years ago. Hurry up or get the fuck out of the way. Playing trail tampon in my opinion is the dick move.

That's why its called racing and not politically correct day on the trails. If you don't like it you shouldn't race. :shaking:

I also didn't have a problem with the Wayes pass a few years ago. Hurry up or get the fuck out of the way. Playing trail tampon in my opinion is the dick move.

Fully agree

Meh, the clevice snagged and broke. I don’t see it as a dick move. He did not run over the line like Wayes did years ago on back door.

Ya, I mean he could have told them to move the line, but like I said, they had plenty of time to move it also.

I thought the T wayes thing was mostly an accident, like he couldn't really see what they were doing untill he shot up the hill? That and I think he was having a gut reaction to keep from rolling.

Yes, but also I'd hate to see it turn into the way that a lot of other forms of racing are where there is basically zero sportsmanship. Like this year when some of the lead guys stopped to check on wayes after his wreck. I feel like most circle track guys would never do something like that.

Ya, I mean he could have told them to move the line, but like I said, they had plenty of time to move it also.

I thought the T wayes thing was mostly an accident, like he couldn't really see what they were doing untill he shot up the hill? That and I think he was having a gut reaction to keep from rolling.

i don't at all understand why they would have kept tension on that winch with a car coming up right there. WTF is the recovery crew thinking? I get that they've got a lot of shit going on and such, but fuck "here comes somebody, let's unload the winch for safety and see what happens."

Yes, but also I'd hate to see it turn into the way that a lot of other forms of racing are where there is basically zero sportsmanship. Like this year when some of the lead guys stopped to check on wayes after his wreck. I feel like most circle track guys would never do something like that.

They got the time they were stopped back in that situation. Not sure if that's an actual rule but that's what happened this year for those guys and IMO stuff like that encourages good sportsmanship.

It's never going to be easy to keep things under perfect control when the red mist drops but not putting others in harm's way is essential. Shit's always going to happen in racing and if something's a genuine accident then it's likely no amount of planning is going to stop it but basic shit like running over someone elses winch line potentially puts others in danger from flying tackle or even running over the other guys codawg.
I've just watched both back to back again and I see nothing majorly wrong with Randy's move as IMO he had a reasonable expectation of getting past without clipping the line. Tom's move IMO was let down by not making sure the other guys codawg was well clear before stomping on the gas but was otherwise OK if a little dramatic :laughing:. So I think that's the difference really. Rubbing's racing right up until the point you flatten somebody under a 5k/lb rig.

Last edited:

Running over a trail tampons winch line and driving past injured racers on the course are extremely different scenarios and the second didn't happen. Comparing the two is idiotic.

everyone's a badass racer until they get run over/bumped out of the way. Usually the loudest ones are the worst, oh I'd bump the crap out them if they did that, then they get bumped by a faster truck and then the whiney but hurt feelings come out.

But of course the course worker don't volunteer for that duty and get paid so I'm sure it's no big deal to just replace a damaged winch line.

I've co-plioted with Mike Slawson when he was racing UTV's and am very familiar with getting & finding ways around trails plugs and groups of slower people that won't move out of the way.

Racer's stuff well they signed up and know the risks. Course workers are there to help and if they weren't there then there wouldn't be the race and they and their equipment deserve respect.

I've also been riding chasing dust, not being able to see shit and have another co-driver instantly standing in front of us, pass inches away from my mirror as we slammed into his stuck truck in front of us. That's a fawked up feeling and I never want to feel that again. Isn't any 30 seconds of fame worth that shit.

Only people that have actually been in this exact situation can understand what it’s like. I’m almost too nice usually and give people too much leeway racing but at the end of the day we’re all racing and if you throw a winch line up a section I can make it up and you can’t, you better move the line out of the way and I’ll do everything I can to miss it but one way or another I’m going lol.

Running over a trail tampons winch line and driving past injured racers on the course are extremely different scenarios and the second didn't happen. Comparing the two is idiotic.

I wasn't comparing the two at all.

I'm just saying that I enjoy the roots of the sport.

If randy pissed off Shannon, then you know he can be a douche. Shannon would and has ran over stuck rigs. None of us were there before or after to really know what happened.

yeah man, the girls are already whining about how cold it's gonna be, but they're just gonna have to suck it up LOL.

Does anyone know the time frame on the Live Feed where the Slawson pass happened? Want to go back and watch the run up to it. Not that I'm critical of the move, just curious to see the whole run up to the situation.

I thought it was a good move that Dave gave them some time back at the end. That should really help keep that spirit alive.

FWIW, all Offroad racing series I’ve raced in have had the same policy. 99% of the time when there’s an accident other racers see it before a course marshal. I’ve always slowed down for any vehicle on the side of the course and made sure I got a thumbs up or acknowledgement before continuing on. That’s just the way it’s supposed to be. If somebody’s stuck and has a recovery strap or something ready to go I’ll spend a few mins trying to extract the racer.

I crew, half assed, a BB dirt mod. I've seen circle track guys stop, but it would have to be an exceptionally bad wreck for it to happen. It's not common. If a driver does go to another's aid, it's usually because the other guy is either on fire, or the driver going to help was involved in the wreck himself.

As a side note, and I wanted to ask here instead of the donation thread, does anyone know what happened in the crash? I read the car was upside down in a high speed section of track, but did the car hit a rock with the bottom of the car as it was flipping or coming down from a flip? L Vertebrae fractures, again coming from a circle track background, are usually from a severe impact to the bottom of the car where the spine gets compressed, like if the car landed hard flat on a rock or if the suspension had been ripped off and the frame itself hit the ground. Seen Sprint Car guys suffer those kinds of injuries in a flip when the car lands hard on the wheels and the chassis slams into the track. There's no absorption on the bottom of the car.

I also read possibly something to do with a suspension seat? That would also make sense since there's a limited amount of travel and if the seat bottom extremely hard I could see it causing similar injuries.

Not trying to be morbid or anything. The more info people have on an accident the better they can build safety into the cars. It clearly did it's job because they're alive, but there's always room for improvement.

Not trying to be morbid or anything. The more info people have on an accident the better they can build safety into the cars. It clearly did it's job because they're alive, but there's always room for improvement.

It's a sensitive topic but definitely one that needs to be looked at especially if it nets safety improvements. Does anyone know if Ultra4 themselves carry out an in-depth investigation?

Top Back Refresh