What's new

Knuckles on a rear axle.

infernozx

Member Extrodinare
Member Number
Might be totally out to lunch here...

My understanding is that an 8" front and rear axle have the same 3rd members..

Which means the axle housing is similar enough to accept the same thirds.

I have a front axle that someone gouged up pretty badly when cutting off brackets. ... Can I use my surplus to me, rear axle housing, and fit the front balls on it to replace the gouged housing?

Or is there a simpler way to do this?

I've only worked with Dana axles before. Still trying to wrap my head around this.

Dont know what you have, but odds are the rear isnt long enough for a longside shaft.

Only instance i know, is a SF fj80 rear into a hybrid 9.5 80 front.

Simpler way? But a used front axle. By the time you fix it and find used knuckle balls, you would be money and time ahead.

Simpler way? But a used front axle. By the time you fix it and find used knuckle balls, you would be money and time ahead.
This all day. There's not enough tube to turn a rear into a front. They're not gold plated anymore with everyone and their mother building aftermarket housings. Should be able to pick up a bare housing for free-$100.

People have done this with cruiser axles by turning rears into wider fronts by welding knuckle balls on them. I have flipped a Toyota front axle and have removed and welded knuckle balls back on again, and while not insanely hard, it's a PITA and I would recommend just buying a housing. That is unless.you want something wider and then you need custom inner axles.

Last edited:
I'd bet there is enough tube on an ifs axle, buuut it's not a great idea.

The rear has more of a diamond shape which would get in the way of the spring perch. Plus it's a lot of work for a housing that will still bend.

I have a front axle that someone gouged up pretty badly when cutting off brackets. ... Can I use my surplus to me, rear axle housing, and fit the front balls on it to replace the gouged housing?

how bad and where are the gouges?

I was about to run rear steer in the Samurai, and this was the avenue I was going to take. Front axle in the rear, and I think I had to use a bandsaw to cut the knuckles and flip or rotate them.

I was about to run rear steer in the Samurai, and this was the avenue I was going to take. Front axle in the rear, and I think I had to use a bandsaw to cut the knuckles and flip or rotate them.
With the knuckle balls you have to cut the weld where it meets the housing and pound the ball off. If you just chop it with a band saw you cut off a pretty long piece of the knuckle ball that extends into the housing.
IMG_20151226_155547_210_zps5kaovdoa_d90c1b4c28c090aee32e0fac3639d52c4023ef9a.jpg

I have a samurai with 4WS in the shop right now. Has 2 front yota axles. Works great.

drill the ends, weld it up, toss one of the many aftermarket trusses on there and run it.
This

Top Back Refresh