What's new

Knuckle, axle, housing info

eacook1

Red Skull Member
ST4x4
Member Number
Loc
Temecula, CA
I am going through a new to me diamond Toyota housing. This is my first time rebuilding any solid axle.

142ADF3A-97FB-4B66-B6A8-C157D3228C5F.jpeg
Axle stuff, 27 spline MARfields, not sure if the inners are chromoly or not, six shooters, TG studless hubs, high pinion with Detroit locker and 5.29s.

I have pulled the axles and both birfs show signs of rubbing. Are the steering stops just not set right? Do you normally have to clearance the birf or inside the knuckle?

A430F5C4-CADE-4599-8828-C70F7DF4276F.jpeg

This diamond housing has 4 seals in it. Two next to the carrier and two out on the ends. My shafts only have a smooth provision for the outer seal. So I guess I don’t really need to worry about the inner seals?

Do you guys always replace trunion bearings while your in there? Are the eliminators the way to go and if so do you notice any more stiffness in the steering in the street. I will be running 37s and will drive this camping and to the trail.

Lastly if you we’re to pick up a used 3rd member that was fully set up do you tear it down completely to inspect or just give it a cursory inspection. Maybe check backlash and the pattern?

Last edited:
are you in right hand drive land or am i losing it?? :laughing:

I would do all new bearings if youre tearing it down as far as it looks like you are (edit: in the knuckles)

Last edited:
You can add a lot of strength to a junkyard 3rd by tightening the adjusting wheels to 100 ft lbs. This will help greatly with carrier deflection by adding preload to the bearings.

are you in right hand drive land or am i losing it?? :laughing:

I would do all new bearings if youre tearing it down as far as it looks like you are (edit: in the knuckles)
Nope, I’m in SoCal. I guess bearings aren’t to expensive so this makes sense.

You can add a lot of strength to a junkyard 3rd by tightening the adjusting wheels to 100 ft lbs. This will help greatly with carrier deflection by adding preload to the bearings.
I suppose the added preload won’t really affect longevity since in this case it’s a front axle. Do you do this for rears in street driven vehicles also?

Nope, I’m in SoCal. I guess bearings aren’t to expensive so this makes sense.

I suppose the added preload won’t really affect longevity since in this case it’s a front axle. Do you do this for rears in street driven vehicles also?
It’s even more important on the front since the ring gear is being driven on the weaker side(unless you have a high pinion 3rd). Yes it’s fine for street driven vehicles. 100 ft lbs on the carrier bearings only puts 10 to 12 in lbs of preload on the bearings.

Top Back Refresh