What's new

Knife sharpener kit

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Have a few kitchen knives that need sharpened.. yes I know I should just use a bench stone like a real man. I do sharpen my pocket knife with a bench stone but I am looking for something a little easier to do with the bigger kitchen knives. An E-friend has this set up sharpener and likes it but was wondering what the IBB uses..

Edit: a close friend uses a WorkSharp but I think I would prefer a stone sharpener that puts a nice clean straight bevel on it vs the sander belt that would give more of a curved edge. if that makes sense.. :confused:

Have a few kitchen knives that need sharpened.. yes I know I should just use a bench stone like a real man. I do sharpen my pocket knife with a bench stone but I am looking for something a little easier to do with the bigger kitchen knives. An E-friend has this set up sharpener and likes it but was wondering what the IBB uses..

Edit: a close friend uses a WorkSharp but I think I would prefer a stone sharpener that puts a nice clean straight bevel on it vs the sander belt that would give more of a curved edge. if that makes sense.. :confused:
The Work Sharp Guided Precision adjust Sharpener is pretty amazing for the price. You can get very fine self adhesive sandpaper to stick to the ceramic side and go down to polishing the individual atoms if you choose.

Only downside is it struggles with longer blades, yeah big downside for kitchen knives. Or at least I struggle with longer blades on it.

So with the awesome new kitchen in the new house I’ve found myself cooking a lot more lately. I’ve also found my Henkels and particularly my old College F.Dick knives were in some serious need of sharpening. I have an older single stone wheel sharpener that I’ve had for many years. It does ok, but I have found the edge doesn’t hold for long. So I just today got this thing delivered.

opened it up and gave it a whirl on my 20+ year old F.Dick 10” chef knife from college which was so dull it would barely cut cold butter. Let’s just say I’m impressed with the sharpener. Brought the blade back nicer and sharper then when we were first given our kits. So I promptly sharpened every straight edge kitchen knife I own with it. Both my Henkels 8” chef knives, my boning knife, filet knife, etc. hell I even ran my pairing and tournade knives thru it. For the price I’m very happy with it. Only downside is it doesn’t do serrated, but very few sharpeners do. Need to find one of those next.

I ordered the Work Sharp kit that Sceep reviewed.. should be here in a few days.. we have a lot of kitchen knives that are in need some serious attention.

A couple years ago a friend brought one of these to my place. He knows I sharpen everything by hand with stones, and a steel. He asked me to try it out for a while and give him my opinion of it for a magazine article he was going to write. It got things sharp, but there was a bit of a learning curve so I didn’t use any of my good knives or tools.

44ABB5AF-E2A7-4F1F-8B4C-03BE5E8C1EBB.jpeg

A couple years ago a friend brought one of these to my place. He knows I sharpen everything by hand with stones, and a steel. He asked me to try it out for a while and give him my opinion of it for a magazine article he was going to write. It got things sharp, but there was a bit of a learning curve so I didn’t use any of my good knives or tools.

44ABB5AF-E2A7-4F1F-8B4C-03BE5E8C1EBB.jpeg
I bought one ofthose years ago and kind of regret it. It has never gotten my knives shaving sharp. I feel like wasted money on that and another knife system years ago for probably 250$ and that would be a quarter of the price of the wicked edge setup i really want today

Not that i could have afforded the WE setup 6 years ago...

I really want a Wicked Edge but dang they are $$
Have you looked at the Lanskey system? It basically functions the same as the Wicked edge, you just move the stone from one side to the other. I can get shaving sharp edges with little effort, and I didn’t spend a ridiculous amount of money for it. I gave both of my kids a basic system when the moved out on their own.

Have you looked at the Lanskey system? It basically functions the same as the Wicked edge, you just move the stone from one side to the other. I can get shaving sharp edges with little effort, and I didn’t spend a ridiculous amount of money for it. I gave both of my kids a basic system when the moved out on their own.
I bought the plastic Work Sharp version and I was less than impressed. It works "ok" for knives 6" or less but the longer kitchen knives are kinda awkward to sharpen on it. I tried and said fawk it and just used my bench stone..

I bought one ofthose years ago and kind of regret it. It has never gotten my knives shaving sharp. I feel like wasted money on that and another knife system years ago for probably 250$ and that would be a quarter of the price of the wicked edge setup i really want today

Not that i could have afforded the WE setup 6 years ago...
The wicked edge is awesome. I bought mine 5-6 years ago for like 4-450. Is it worth the money probably not, does it make the sharpest edge around you bet.

I can make a perfect edge that is so polished sharp you can see your reflection in it. It’s awesome.

Well i thought i would update this. I bought the WE-120 day one when the black Friday sale was going on. Used it ASAP and since the sale was still one..........I got the angle block, longer rods, 2 more sets of finer grits :homer::laughing::laughing: Fuck me. That "SALE" was a god damn trojan horse that has me another $300 into their system :lmao: So i guess im in for something like 650. I envy you ThePanzerFuhrer if youre only in for 450.

I had a knife i didn't get perfect the first go round (My incompetence) that i was able to perfect in about 5 min without touching the coarse grits. Using an angle block along with the advanced location guide makes touch ups stupid easy. You spend more time on setup than sharpening in those 5 min.

Worth every fucking penny (maybe not:homer:) but god damn does it polish the knives like a motherfucker and its repeatable. If you can swallow the price it truly is amazing/the best system. Its everything i had thought Lanskey should have been.

Well i thought i would update this. I bought the WE-120 day one when the black Friday sale was going on. Used it ASAP and since the sale was still one..........I got the angle block, longer rods, 2 more sets of finer grits :homer::laughing::laughing: Fuck me. That "SALE" was a god damn trojan horse that has me another $300 into their system :lmao: So i guess im in for something like 650. I envy you ThePanzerFuhrer if youre only in for 450.

I had a knife i didn't get perfect the first go round (My incompetence) that i was able to perfect in about 5 min without touching the coarse grits. Using an angle block along with the advanced location guide makes touch ups stupid easy. You spend more time on setup than sharpening in those 5 min.

Worth every fucking penny (maybe not:homer:) but god damn does it polish the knives like a motherfucker and its repeatable. If you can swallow the price it truly is amazing/the best system. Its everything i had thought Lanskey should have been.
Did you get some strops with it? Those are what make the knives scary sharp.

Did you get some strops with it? Those are what make the knives scary sharp.
Yep. Because I needed to spend more$. If anything I'd say those are the only part Im not sure if they were worth the money. I have the 2200 grit diamond stones and the micro seration seems to work better for kitchen knives etc. On belt knives I think they function similarly. No doubt the mirror finish ones are sharper. I bet the best functionality for me is going to be sharpen on diamond> Polish with strop > go back to 1500/2200 and do 2 light passes to get perpendicular to blade micro serations on a 1deg micro bevel

Yep. Because I needed to spend more$. If anything I'd say those are the only part Im not sure if they were worth the money. I have the 2200 grit diamond stones and the micro seration seems to work better for kitchen knives etc. On belt knives I think they function similarly. No doubt the mirror finish ones are sharper. I bet the best functionality for me is going to be sharpen on diamond> Polish with strop > go back to 1500/2200 and do 2 light passes to get perpendicular to blade micro serations on a 1deg micro bevel
I only have the 1000 grit stone as the finest. Maybe I should get some finer ones.

I only have the 1000 grit stone as the finest. Maybe I should get some finer ones.
The 1500/ 2000 or 2200 whatever it is was stone pair is worth it. I don't take out the strops unless I just want the blade to be a mirror. The 2k grit is practically a mirror without polishing it once the stones broke in without using magnification.

I've been eyeing a set of the 50/80 grit for setting the edge. My knives have too many years of imperfect sharpening and the first sharpen takes 30 min to get the burr raised right and centred as the angles have gotten it of wack using the 100 grit of course I'm also debating trying step one in the belt sander next knife.

Screenshot_20220318-153911.png

FYI: anyone looking to get a wicked edge setup, they have a sale going right now

I've had one since the 90s. Works great.

Top Back Refresh