What's new

King's Graveyard: Hardest trail Ever Run at King of the Hammers

'84 Bronco II

El Chingón
Member Number
Loc
NM
Anyone else watching the Ultra4 KOH pre-show? Dave Cole announced a new trail for KOH 2021 called "Kings Graveyard" that will be the second last trail of the third lap and there will be no pit for the third lap. He said this year will be a "nut punch" harder than any previous King of the Hammers race before for the 4400 class. Dave thinks only 20 people will finish and that many of the cars in the 4400 class aren't even capable of getting through "Kings Graveyard". He also said no one will finish before sun down :eek:

EDIT: Link for those that missed it. Skip to the last 13 minutes for the trail discussion: https://livestream.com/accounts/105...=true&defaultDrawer=&autoPlay=true&mute=false

Last edited:
while that would be amazingly cool, it's not the first time that's been said.

What's the GPS cords? :flipoff2:

it wold be an excellent way to start of 2021!!

while that would be amazingly cool, it's not the first time that's been said.

What's the GPS cords? :flipoff2:

They haven't released the course yet :flipoff2:

He did say it came off of Fissure Mountain and that they would be lighting it for safety because he is worried about co drivers getting injured trying to spot. This year's course is supposed to be "only" 190 miles.

Looking at Fissure Mountain, I am guessing it is one of the drainages I've circled in red:

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.53.51 PM.png

listening to Dave now and seem like hype "harder then Sledgehammer" "longer then outer limits" "steeper then Sledgehammer". That doesn't sound that hard. The no pits sounds rougher then the new trail.

I feel like "King's Graveyard" was hinted at a few KOH's ago, but don't know for sure. Or might have been Valley of the Kings or something... I don't know - that may be even back to when Jeff Knoll was still involved, so probably just remembering old shit:homer:

Some more info: stock trucks won't make it anywhere close (for lighting) and he had to have it OK'd by BLM. I wonder how they're gonna get lights out there if it's too rough for a truck.

It might be a good time to have wireless communication with your spotter.

Off topic: Am I reading the schedule correctly?

Every Man Challenge is on a Friday and the 4400 race is on a Saturday this year?

That sucked trying to watch it at work last year.

The six hour traffic jam should be entertaining. :flipoff2:

Off topic: Am I reading the schedule correctly?

Every Man Challenge is on a Friday and the 4400 race is on a Saturday this year?

That sucked trying to watch it at work last year.

Correct. Better for watching at home, shittier if you are driving cross-country to be out there in person.

The six hour traffic jam should be entertaining. :flipoff2:

I thought about that too since the parking lot scenarios are no fun to watch. Hopefully since it is the second last trail before the finish line that won't happen since all the lesser drivers should be out of the race by then or stuck on lesser trails. They have gotten a lot better at designing the course to avoid traffic jams in recent years since they run the desert first to weed out unprepared cars. Regardless, the course this year sounds brutal, so hopefully it is fun to watch and doesn't turn into a traffic jam.

Agree with above, Not much of a traffic jam like in recent times they put spooners up towards the end. There are only 6 fast guys vying for it at that point, hours ahead of the trail plugs. Putting Outer Limits up early on like in 11 was a nightmare. We were 40 cars back stuck behind non rock crawlers.

NICE! In for the remote shitshow! Guess I need to get my projector set up.

NICE! In for the remote shitshow! Guess I need to get my projector set up.

I'm looking forward to it. Last year my plans to go fell apart at the last minute, but I already had the time scheduled off from work so I sat around drinking beer and watching the live feed from home. Honestly, as far as watching the race goes, it was way better than being there in person :homer:

Give up speed for durable crawler?

All of the Miller cars and Bombers are pretty good crawlers and plenty fast enough. The other bigger cars just tend to plow through whatever, wonder how big the rocks will be and if that tactic will work. Guessing having a co-pilot could be a bigger deal.

Right, if it is something that has to be winched many times, start counting the male Campbell’s and Gomez and several others like that by themselves out or at least count them as a trail plug if they get there first

Honestly, as far as watching the race goes, it was way better than being there in person :homer:

Dunno about that. We always volunteered early in the week so we could sit in front of the jumbotron on race days. THAT is a hot ticket as long as the weather is good. Get to watch all the same commercials but from the lakebed! :laughing:

Dunno about that. We always volunteered early in the week so we could sit in front of the jumbotron on race days. THAT is a hot ticket as long as the weather is good. Get to watch all the same commercials but from the lakebed! :laughing:

Yep,l I watch the start of the race and then head back to camp for breakfast before setting my chair in front of the jumbotron for the day. When the first few cars finish I go pack my shit and hit the road before the traffic.

Yep,l I watch the start of the race and then head back to camp for breakfast before setting my chair in front of the jumbotron for the day. When the first few cars finish I go pack my shit and hit the road before the traffic.

We always bounced between the spectator areas to see the cars in person, but you have no idea what's going on in the race when you do that :laughing:

Although when I was out there in 2018 they had a Jumbotron setup at Chocolate Thunder which helped, but me and my buddies were screwing around to much to pay very close attention.

Some more info: stock trucks won't make it anywhere close (for lighting) and he had to have it OK'd by BLM. I wonder how they're gonna get lights out there if it's too rough for a truck.

It might be a good time to have wireless communication with your spotter.

I feel like they could afford to sling them in with a helicopter.

I think you're right. And single seater eater.

It doesn't seem to slow Shannon or Wayes down, I think the 400 or more pounds in weight savings is a big advantage in it's easier on parts and you can have a more reliable engine and still have good power-to-weight ratio. But yeah, if you have to pull cable for yourself, that's a bitch.

It doesn't seem to slow Shannon or Wayes down, I think the 400 or more pounds in weight savings is a big advantage in it's easier on parts and you can have a more reliable engine and still have good power-to-weight ratio. But yeah, if you have to pull cable for yourself, that's a bitch.

And Both people get lost a lot too without a co driver.

Top Back Refresh