What's new

Keltec RDB

Boons

Member Number
Looking to get something in 5.56 before my government goes full retard. Liking the idea of Bullpup for concealment and truck gun duty. I have three options

Type 97 chinesium that from what I’ve heard is reliable but awkward controls and shitty trigger

The Tavor, retarded expensive with a shitty trigger.

and the Keltec RDB, not much more exspensive than the 97 and looks like most issues have been fixed.

Anything that I should know about one before I drop the money?

I have an RFB and have shot a couple RDBs. They are pretty fun guns and when I compare to a SA Hellion that I did some work on - I would take the RDB at half the price all day long.

If you really want the king of bullpup 5.56 get an AUG if you can.

Just know with all bullpups there is a training time to get used to them. Even things like checking the chamber require practice

Never shot a rdb, have handled several. I do have a tavor, the original Sar model with a timney trigger.
Most bullpups have a shitty trigger. It's the nature of the beast when you have to run a linkage from the trigger to the trigger pack. With the tavor x95 the trigger is supposed to be improved.
The tavors definitely have a more military feel than the keltec.
I do like the rdb-s.
You in Canada?

I'll never own anything from Kel Tec again. They are cheaper for a reason - cost cutting in manufacturing.

I have an RFB and have shot a couple RDBs. They are pretty fun guns and when I compare to a SA Hellion that I did some work on - I would take the RDB at half the price all day long.

If you really want the king of bullpup 5.56 get an AUG if you can.

Just know with all bullpups there is a training time to get used to them. Even things like checking the chamber require practice
I do believe the AUG is unobtainium up here.
I have a tavor. I love it. I’ve never played with an rdb. A dude I work with has one that he runs in 3 gun shit. He loves it. If we can ever get together to fondle each others bullpups I can give you a comparison:flipoff2:
If and when you find yourself in Alberta and you put food and drink in me in a romantic manner you can fondle all my guns.
Never shot a rdb, have handled several. I do have a tavor, the original Sar model with a timney trigger.
Most bullpups have a shitty trigger. It's the nature of the beast when you have to run a linkage from the trigger to the trigger pack. With the tavor x95 the trigger is supposed to be improved.
The tavors definitely have a more military feel than the keltec.
I do like the rdb-s.
You in Canada?
From what I’ve read and heard (Ian aka ”Gun Jesus”) the trigger on the RDB is better than most stock ar15s. Yes I’m in that the future communist state.
I'll never own anything from Kel Tec again. They are cheaper for a reason - cost cutting in manufacturing.
I’ve held and shot a ksg7, I was not a fan. I’ve seen one of those sub2000 disintegrate. But on the same hand I know some good reports of RFBs and a cmr30 with probably 3k rounds through it with minimal issue. They seem to have the same sorta rep as vortex with their warranty but I’m not sure how that translate up here in Canada especially after they fucking ban them.

I'm sorry you're in the shitty situation that Fidel Jr is putting you in.
In your situation I would get the best I could afford without breaking the bank. Hard to say if you will ever have the ability to buy again.

The statists got pushback from their covid bullshit and they realized that if the people wanted to stand up to them they would loose. So they want to take away your ability to stand up to them.
Alberta needs to secede. Imo

I'm sorry you're in the shitty situation that Fidel Jr is putting you in.
In your situation I would get the best I could afford without breaking the bank. Hard to say if you will ever have the ability to buy again.

The statists got pushback from their covid bullshit and they realized that if the people wanted to stand up to them they would loose. So they want to take away your ability to stand up to them.
Alberta needs to secede. Imo

I forgot about the Canada communist BS.

Spend the money on two mid-level AR's. A pistol with a brace or short rifle, and a rifle length mid-profile barrel. More common parts since your supply will tighten up pretty quickly.

I forgot about the Canada communist BS.

Spend the money on two mid-level AR's. A pistol with a brace or short rifle, and a rifle length mid-profile barrel. More common parts since your supply will tighten up pretty quickly.
Lmao, too late for any of that shit. Those things are already banned/prohibited or need to be registered/monitored. Owning anything restricted is just an open invite (no warrant needed) to confiscate everything you have. I’m trying to buy private off the books while people aren’t scared sell yet.

Boons, that's a tough spot and I agree with an off the books approach.
As you are in Canada, a VZ-58 may be an option. I know you will be limited to what you can find.
Canada got the ones built in the Czech republic, not the mishmash ones we got in the US.

Good luck in your search, I understand if you don't share your findings on an open forum.
Get the best quality you can, because you are going to be essentially stuck with it and replacement parts may be hard to come.
:beer:

Get the best quality you can, because you are going to be essentially stuck with it and replacement parts may be hard to come.
parts are still easy if you know someone in a free area.

Boons, that's a tough spot and I agree with an off the books approach.
As you are in Canada, a VZ-58 may be an option. I know you will be limited to what you can find.
Canada got the ones built in the Czech republic, not the mishmash ones we got in the US.

Good luck in your search, I understand if you don't share your findings on an open forum.
:beer:
VZ58 is already prohibited, but I’ve got my 7.62x39 bases covered already with a reliable battle rifle. Just looking for something 5.56 so I have all the major ammunitions (308, 7.62x39, 5.56 and 12 gauge) covered other than pistol calibres but I don’t see the purpose of PPC other than plinking.

The RDB in function and form looks very simple, I think short of the barrel and bolt, parts could be easily replicated. Was looking for some confirmation on some of those things

Last edited:
I don’t see the purpose of PPC other than plinking.
I don't disagree with the need for a 5.56, but that phase tells me you havent spent much time with a PCC. They are well worth having one

VZ58 is already prohibited, but I’ve got my 7.62x39 bases covered already with a reliable battle rifle. Just looking for something 5.56 so I have all the major ammunitions (308, 7.62x39, 5.56 and 12 gauge) covered other than pistol calibres but I don’t see the purpose of PPC other than plinking.

The RDB in function and form looks very simple, I think short of the barrel and bolt, parts could be easily replicated. Was looking for some confirmation on some of those things

The problem with anything Kel Tec is that warranty or factory service work will require you to ship the gun to Florida, and then get it back into country. And Kel Tec is not known for long term reliability.

If this whole situation favors a face to face sale, why not just buy a normal rifle from someone? Why is the RDB favored over something more common? Is it still "allowed" while other rifles are "not"?

I have one of the KSGs. When I first got it, it jammed. So a video on utube where they said to douse it with oil and rack it 50 times in a row. Did that and it’s worked perfect ever since.

. I’ve seen one of those sub2000 disintegrate.

My friend has one and loves it. I’ve never held one, but I’m thinking about getting one. Could you elaborate on this statement?

Boons, I obviously don't keep up with the details of the Canadian restrictions. It is sad that they have chosen to go down this path. It won't reduce crime and they know it.
They do make a vz-59 in 5.56, no idea if it was ever brought into Canada.
Pet peve, not that it really matters, but 7.62x39 is an intermediate cartridge not a battle rifle cartridge.
Pcc, have their uses, but generally not as much as a rifle round. Would really depend on what is available in Canada with all the restrictions.

I have one of the KSGs. When I first got it, it jammed. So a video on utube where they said to douse it with oil and rack it 50 times in a row. Did that and it’s worked perfect ever since.

My friend has one and loves it. I’ve never held one, but I’m thinking about getting one. Could you elaborate on this statement?

Sounds like you got a good KSG then. Most Kel Tec guns require more "break-in" or polishing than any other gun on the market, or some combination of warranty parts replacement and/or warranty work at the factory. The fit and finish they put out is atrocious.

There are countless guns better than a Sub 2000. My main issue is that the headspace is held together with a polymer hinge block that pivots inside a polymer clamshell that's not very strong.

For a PDW, why not build a 7" AR pistol with foldable buffer tube? Essentially unlimited parts that are non-proprietary and a super compact package?

I don't disagree with the need for a 5.56, but that phase tells me you havent spent much time with a PCC. They are well worth having one
I‘ve only shot the ruger take down and the cmr 30, maybe 100rounds through each. I just don’t see an opportunity where any of them would excel over anything I already have other than plinking on the cheap.
The problem with anything Kel Tec is that warranty or factory service work will require you to ship the gun to Florida, and then get it back into country. And Kel Tec is not known for long term reliability.

If this whole situation favors a face to face sale, why not just buy a normal rifle from someone? Why is the RDB favored over something more common? Is it still "allowed" while other rifles are "not"?
For still legal conventional 5.56 rifles theses are my choices

WK180-C, AR180, Bren 2 MS, B&T APC223,HK G36, and Crusader Arms Templar​

in my budget are the AR180s which are turds that require a fair amount of polishing and only come with 18” barrels. Looking at Bullpup for the compactness. The RDB is mid tier of my choices. I can get an x95 for $3000ish or I can get an RDB for $1400, That’s a lot of room for an optic and ammo. The parts/warranty issue is going to be blanket a problem no matter what I buy. I could not to the best of my ability source a bolt in Canada for my vz after one of the feed lips broke.
Breach failed and sent shrapnel everywhere, no injury but sure as hell could have been worse. As said by Yotota, the hinge mechanism just isnt up to the task.
For a PDW, why not build a 7" AR pistol with foldable buffer tube? Essentially unlimited parts that are non-proprietary and a super compact package?
Illegal as fuck, that’s why.

I‘ve only shot the ruger take down and the cmr 30, maybe 100rounds through each. I just don’t see an opportunity where any of them would excel over anything I already have other than plinking on the cheap.

For still legal conventional 5.56 rifles theses are my choices

WK180-C, AR180, Bren 2 MS, B&T APC223,HK G36, and Crusader Arms Templar​

in my budget are the AR180s which are turds that require a fair amount of polishing and only come with 18” barrels. Looking at Bullpup for the compactness. The RDB is mid tier of my choices. I can get an x95 for $3000ish or I can get an RDB for $1400, That’s a lot of room for an optic and ammo. The parts/warranty issue is going to be blanket a problem no matter what I buy. I could not to the best of my ability source a bolt in Canada for my vz after one of the feed lips broke.

Breach failed and sent shrapnel everywhere, no injury but sure as hell could have been worse. As said by Yotota, the hinge mechanism just isnt up to the task.

Illegal as fuck, that’s why.

Bullpups aren't great for anything besides being "cool looking" and unique to shoot. But the novelty wears off and you're left with an awkward rifle that requires unique training to run well and build muscle memory. Notice how every effective military in the world has ditched or avoided bullpups?

I'm not some cool operator guy, just a prior Army POG and a casual gun nerd. I can run an AR or AK in the dark with wet gloves, reload, clear malfunctions, and do work, because I've had it in my muscle memory for 20+ years. Hand me a bullpup and I'll flop around like a noob at a rental range.

Kel Tec is 100% a "you get what you pay for" brand. That alone is reason enough for me to pass. It's your money though. Why not the CZ Bren? That's a significantly better gun. Or the B&T? They have a good reputation, though I have no personal experience with the brand.

Because a Bren or BT are $5,000, that’s if you can find one thats non restricted with at least a 16” barrel.

Because a Bren or BT are $5,000, that’s if you can find one thats non restricted with at least a 16” barrel.

photos%2Fimages%2Fnewsfeed%2F001%2F231%2F652%2F5f0.jpg

:flipoff2:

Really, that sucks.

But also, buy the best you can afford. Kel Tec is rarely the best option that someone can afford because better options will always exist at any price point. I would take any rifle off that list, even a G36, over a Kel Tec.

I like my RFB, sad that I got the 18" one rather than the long one

I'd certainly buy an RDB, it'd be the longest barrel they offer
because it really isn't a tactical timmy go time rodger bravo ice man actual sorta gun, more of an interesting toy

But being in canada, everything that is a "real gun" is a dirty prohib, so...
Get one.

I like my RFB, sad that I got the 18" one rather than the long one

I'd certainly buy an RDB, it'd be the longest barrel they offer
because it really isn't a tactical timmy go time rodger bravo ice man actual sorta gun, more of an interesting toy

But being in canada, everything that is a "real gun" is a dirty prohib, so...
Get one.
I’ve seen pretty well nothing but praise for the RFB (albeit the later ones) but that’s where its in pretty much the same price bracket as a Tavor 7, in that scenario I probably would go with the Jew gun. I havnt ruled out not bothering with 5.56 and just commiting to 308 platforms.

Is the bren 805 aka bren1 an option more reasonable than the bren 2 I like my 805 a little better than the bren 2.
Tavor 7 an option?

Tavor sar vs bren 2 vs 16" wwsd ar
20220904_173112.jpg

Top Back Refresh