What's new

Keller 2 piece ball joints

CJ503

Huh ?
Member Number
Loc
West of sanity, south of syrup
Upgraded to to chro-mo A arms, Keller ball joints, upgraded axle shafts. I am having a hell of a time getting the ball joints lubed. I did load and grease everything on assembly. I try to grease the balljoints and they take very little grease.

What am I missing here ?

I have never had luck with using the grease zerks. I take them apart to grease them with a molybdenum grease such as the tube provided by RCV for axles. It also gives you a chance to inspect all the pieces and make sure the grease is evenly distributed not just squirted along the path of least resistance. I have also found that they need constant adjustment to keep them where I like them. I also highly recommend burping the boots and using zipties or safety wire to keep them on. That is a high potential area to let water and dirt into the joint which will cause corrosion over the long term and pit the ball/stem along with the seating surface that mates with the top of the ball/stem. If you do have issues, I think the last rebuild kits I bought were in the $40 range direct from SuperATV who now owns or licenses the Keller brand.

That being said, they are very strong and durable as long as you aren't using them for travel stops. The holder will notch into the ball/stem and create a weak point which can be the start of a failure eventually.

It can get messy, but I also recommend filling the boot with grease to stop water intrusion. It is a tricky thing to find the right air volume to hold grease but also not be overfilled. Worse case, it makes a mess and squirts grease out if it is overfilled.

Nothing to add other than a friend has Kellers on his Turbo S. He ran them a year and didn't know they weren't lubed from the factory?? took them out, cleaned all the dirt and grit out of them and lubed them up and reinstalled and good as new. :smokin:

I have Kryptonite ball joints on my RZR. I ain't a baller. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh