What's new

Kayaks-------Tandem?

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
Been kayaking with the family for a few years now (me, momma and two kids 8 and 10).

The kids have outgrown their little solo kayaks, and my sister in law would also like to come when she visits.

My options are to buy a couple more solo kayaks for the kids and sister-in-law, or buy a tandem. Daughter gets tired (partly because lazy, and partly because she's 8) so I end up towing her often.

I'm really liking the idea of a big tandem boat so I can take more gear and go camping with the boats. I'd have the option of paddling with either of my kids, when SIL is with us, and we'd each have a boat when she's not. It just opens up so much more options.

The two I'm looking at are the Perception Cove 14.5 foot open double cockpit (no rudder) and the Wavesport Horizon (two cockpits) with a rudder.

I'll probably end up using this thing alone and am not sure about how it will handle. If I am alone, I'll definetly have gear with me so I can even out the weight. I like the Wavesport because it has the rudder, but I like the Perception because the open cockpit and sliding seat (slide to middle when alone...).

Thoughts? Experiences?

The Wavesport is $1999 and the Perception is $1250. I like nice things so the price isn't of much concern.

Wavesport:

Horizon_CORE-WhiteOut_Cyber-Yellow-top.jpg

Perception:

375923_441314_1.jpg

The wife and I started with a tandem and wound up in singles. The tandem was all around a brick compared to the singles and we each gained the freedom to go where we wanted and at the pace that we wanted.

And the person in the back ends up getting soaked if you're paddling into a head wind.

Edit: Also trying to paddle with someone that doesn't do it regularly is an exercise in frustration because they cannot keep a paddling pace and the rear person continually has to adjust or hit the front paddle

Tandem boats were known as divorce boats on the river

Oh, I also found this on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). My kids would have a fucking riot on this thing. Note: I'm NOT considering it, just thought it looked neat.

$_59.jpg

I prefer sit on top kayak, but it sounds like you already do a fair amount of kayaking
vibe and feel free would be a couple brands I would suggest to check out

Big fish 3 waters, crescent, bona fide are some other cool brands to check out as well

The cool thing about a kayak is being able to do your own thing. If I wanted a tandem kayak, I'd just go back to a canoe.

I am in the middle of looking at kayaks now, specifically for fishing. I did find the Jackson kayak, Yupik model to be about the best options wise. It is the route I am gonna take, has a decent payload, and a completely configurable deck you can mods as required, including adding another seat if need be.

Solo sounds like it would suck in a tandem. I bought a 13’ canoe I run backwards solo and love it. I Can reach stuff in front too.

Get a canoe if you want a tandem or cargo boat. Or, buy yourself a new fishing yak and demote your current one to guest duty. I had a FeelFree Moken for a couple of seasons, and it would haul gear or a tired/lazy kid. It was stable enough that the GF used it as a paddleboard. Think it was 500# capacity or so.

FWIW, Austin Canoe and Kayak usually does free shipping about this time of year. It makes them competitive with local shops. I ordered the FeelFree from them and would shop there again.

If you ever try to do it solo, or adult in the back and little kid in the front, the balance just simply sucks. I'd just get two singles, and a rescue life vest with the tow ring in the back. Works pretty well, because it is pulling from the COG of your boat (you), rather than just tying it on the boat, which no matter where you put it it will affect where your boat is going. It's a lot easier than you think to tow a kid's boat if needed with one of those on. Probably easier doing that than navigating a tandem with an underweight kid paddling incorrectly in the front.

edit: just for the record, that's something like this:

https://www.liveactionsafety.com/nr...m_content=3345 | NRS Zen Rescue PFD | $199.95

You tie the rope to the front of the towed kayak and then to that ring in the back, if you ever get into any trouble where the rope is a hazard, you pull the "eject lanyard" on the front, the belt slides out of the vest and the rope tied to the ring on it goes with it.. It's a lot safer towing with that.

Last edited:
We rented yaks down at the OBX one year, bay trip. We went out with another family. My parents in a tandem, rest of us in solos. I have never, ever laughed so hard in my life. My parents couldn't control it, my dad yelled the entire time. The other couple bailed halfway through the day. :laughing:

If you ever try to do it solo, or adult in the back and little kid in the front, the balance just simply sucks. I'd just get two singles, and a rescue life vest with the tow ring in the back. Works pretty well, because it is pulling from the COG of your boat (you), rather than just tying it on the boat, which no matter where you put it it will affect where your boat is going. It's a lot easier than you think to tow a kid's boat if needed with one of those on. Probably easier doing that than navigating a tandem with an underweight kid paddling incorrectly in the front.

edit: just for the record, that's something like this:

https://www.liveactionsafety.com/nr...m_content=3345 | NRS Zen Rescue PFD | $199.95

You tie the rope to the front of the towed kayak and then to that ring in the back, if you ever get into any trouble where the rope is a hazard, you pull the "eject lanyard" on the front, the belt slides out of the vest and the rope tied to the ring on it goes with it.. It's a lot safer towing with that.

That thing is $$$

I just made a huge loop in a piece of small cord. I put both my arms in the loop like a backpack, and the knot directly behind my neck.

Well, anyway, the horse is pretty fucking dead right now.

I will NOT be getting a tandem.

Get a canoe if you want a tandem or cargo boat.

FWIW, Austin Canoe and Kayak usually does free shipping about this time of year. It makes them competitive with local shops. I ordered the FeelFree from them and would shop there again.

I kinda feel stupid right now for even considering a tandem, since I already have a 19 foot fiberglass canoe, and it fits on top of the kayak trailer I built. You're absolutely right, if I need to haul serious gear that's the machine for the job. If I need to bring more people, the canoe can do that job too.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm assuming Austin Canoe and Kayak doesn't ship to canuckistan...

Fuck.

Not a single one of you falls for the action fab troll?

I can't leave it any longer, it's bothering me too much. :laughing:

Some of us here have to work between posting.

I was just >< about to quote your "troll post" & declare "classic thread progression"
  • OP: "should I do this?"
  • IBB: "fawk no"
  • IBB: "you'll hate it"
  • IBB: "that's stupid"
  • IBB: "NO"
  • Arty: "I used to work for N4SA"
  • IBB: "nope"
  • IBB: "noooop"
  • IBB: "oh, hell no"
  • OP: "Well, I'm going to do it anyway"
  • IBB: "What the FUCK, dood?!!"
. . . I jumped to page 2 & you fessed up :homer:

Thanks for your honesty :beer:
(you should've been more patient :laughing:)

Ever seen an "expidition" open cockpit tandem?
canoe dunnnnn

That thing is $$$

I just made a huge loop in a piece of small cord. I put both my arms in the loop like a backpack, and the knot directly behind my neck.
The safety thing is the main reason for it, I attended a kayak rescue/recovery/safety class back a few years ago, and they were pretty adamant about being able to clear the tow rope while still having your paddle under control. I’m thinking the vest itself may provide something of a load-bearing harness effect for shock loads from the tow rope too..it’s mainly to just not get yanked out of your own boat in waves and such, then you’ve got two people to rescue instead of just working back around for the person you just cut loose.

That was just the first one that popped up when i looked for an example, i think mine was around $120 or so.

Top Back Refresh