What's new

Kayak for wife

BUCKLAND

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
WMA
Wife wants a kayak for when she is at our lake house. I don’t know anything about them because they seem hipster to me. We have a canoe and row boat, but she would prefer a kayak as she borrows her sons from time to time. Transporting it isn’t an issue.
She is 5’4” and #130 if that matters on the size of the boat. I’d like to buy it for her birthday in April.

What says irate.

We have two, both Sundolphins. One is a 10' sit on and the other is a 12' Aruba SS sit in. I MUCH prefer the 12'er, for the stability but I don't know if that comes from the extra 2ft. of length or the fact that you are sitting in it as opposed to on it. My Mrs. also prefers the sit in, which makes it hard for both of us to go out at the same time, lol.

Pelican brand is a few towns over from us and I used to do electrical work there on the extrusion rigs.
The sit in/on is probably what I should know more about. I’m guessing she would prefer a sit on so that she would get more sun on her. I don’t know if that really outlays the stability, but wimmenzs

Pelican also makes good stuff. Any way to try or rent each of the sit in/on? That way you don't buy something you take out once and regret it.

Yes I could, but I won’t support them. I work on the river making power and this recreational company thinks that we are there to provide them water so they can make money:mad3: Fuck them and it’s probably a different kind of kayak, white water?

The sit ins would be more of a white water, as the sit ons are not nearly as stable in rougher water. We did a 35 mile trip down the Delaware 3 years ago and one guy brought a sit on and hated life for most of the trip.

I won’t be buying it from Dick’s or Amazon. Still have a contact that works at Pelican that I might be able to get it through.

At her light weight an 8' Pelican sit in would work too. They make a decent 10'er too.

Pelican must have gotten a lot better since i was actively playing in the kayak world: they weren’t rotomolded like all the good yaks, just pressed out on a mold and then top and bottom glued together, leaving a seam that ALWAYS leaked... they were horribly unstable, both primary and secondary stability, and were basically just all around bottom-dollar pieces of shit.... Have they finally learned how to make something worth buying?

Gonna need pictures of said wife to make a proper recommendation.

The orange one is an advanced elements inflatable expedition model, great for moderate (class 1-4) rivers,lake,ect.

hull design dictates stability, broad flat bottoms are more stabil, loses cutting abilities, rounded bottoms rock more side to side but cut better.
the blue is a pelican, cheap fast , good for a day run(limited storage.)

my .o2
for her "lake" usage, get her one with an open deck or sit on (sit on is less secure for the picknick basket ect.)

20200827_191944.jpg

20191118_140911_kindlephoto-6478521.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a 10' lower end sit in wilderness systems. Works fine for my needs on the lake or lazy river.

Traded my guitar for it like 15 years ago.

The Perception Company has been making rotomolded linear link Poly boats for decades. Quality units. Starting at around $500. Worth ii. The value of length is in hull speed and straight line stability. You get what you ay for. 8-ft is no likkee not good.

Top Back Refresh