What's new

Kayak camping, anybody set off on paddle adventures?

scooter2374

walk home clown
Member Number
Loc
Red Bank, NJ
I started a few years ago with a buddy and his friends. We've done a couple trips down the Delaware and it is a blast. Will have to upload pics.

What are you paddling? Any mods to your canoes and kayaks?

edit. So far we only have two, but looking to add a couple more for the house so people can just take them out. Mine is a Sundolphin Aruba SS 12ft.

5AWpxNDl.jpg

I added the cleat the first day after realizing what a pain in the dick tying off to something might become.

wWIgYtKl.jpg

In the water with Old Timer and Yardarm

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing--looking forward to the pics. When we were down in Big Bend last year, there were some people doing this same thing on the Rio Grande. It looked pretty awesome. Of course, I'm a pansy that likes a shower and room for 200lbs of cooler, so I do my "camping" in an RV.

also in for pics

ive thought about doing an overnight camp on the island at loon lake but my friends were not having it

I went with the SS12 instead of the 10 because I read increased stability and speed in the water. The other one we have is a Sundolphin 10ft. sit in and the difference between the two is noticeable. I'm currently using a Carlisle Magic Plus 230cm paddle, nice and light but she has a ding in the glass where my right hand sits, this will probably be the year to fix or get a new one.

Going to watch this thread. The new GF is into flatwater kayaking. Planning a couple trips that are more of camp and kayak but I could see it escalating to kayakpacking. RIght now trying to figure out the best way to get 2 kayaks on the car. I installed a thule rack but can't decide if I want to do the center pole, 2 sets of J hooks or if the roller style will fit.

I've got a shitty 12' canoe with a lot of holes. Once I patch them up I plan to float otter creek from its beginning to lake Champlain Vt.

I've got a shitty 12' canoe with a lot of holes. Once I patch them up I plan to float otter creek from its beginning to lake Champlain Vt.

Thats not the 'irate way. Just install a giant sump pump and generator that you rebuild with a predator swap and don't fix the holes

Grew up canoeing a bunch with my dad, he never liked kayaks for some reason. We did a week up in boundary waters when I was 10ish. Current kayak is a cheap 10’ sit in some girl gave me for helping her move, I primarily duck hunt out of it and take it when I’m paddling with people who own slow shitty boats. Found a spray skirt for it, we have some rapids about an hour away I’ve been wanting to hit.

I paddle my pirogue a lot more, they are flat bottom Cajun canoe/kayak type deals. It’s 14’ long and 25” wide at the bottom, sucker will fly. They are easy to build, I can post more details if anyone’s interested.

photo890.jpg

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	434.9 KB ID:	3417 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	3418 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	225.3 KB ID:	3419 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	3420 Crab set, Sonoma coast cal if.
aka the prk.
fixin to recon a paddle SOMEWHERE where the snowflakes don't roam...
advanced elements advanced frame vert

Last edited:
Its not even close to kayak camping, but its the boat I have. 18' aluminum scanoe with a flat back. I went on a 3 day camping trip in it when I was 3, my dad gave it to me several years ago. I am usually the supply boat when a group of us go camping on the sand bars. Its pretty beat up but I have been able to get my non outdoors wife and city kids out on the river with it. Hoping for more trips with them this year!
50909.jpeg

Have a couple of Sawyer canoes and an ancient Perception Dagger. Only water they've touched in several years is the rain that hits them in the backyard.

Have a couple of Sawyer canoes and an ancient Perception Dagger. Only water they've touched in several years is the rain that hits them in the backyard.

If I can keep the bottom patched I have enjoyed my dagger. Apparently it thinks I'm a fatass and drags rocks too often.
I never got the urge to haul camping gear in my kayak, I guess I have too much crap.

Yeah, my old Dagger could fit maybe a twelve pack fore and another aft.

I have a basic Ocean kayak from academy. I use it to paddle out about 2-3 miles in bay shallow water. Then let the wind/ current paddle me back to my in-laws condo. What’s this camping OB stuff you speak of :flipoff2:

My son and I did a 20 miles stretch on the west branch of the Susquehanna river a couple years back. Found a camp spot about half way. I highly recommend it, the stretch we did was through state forest. Did not see another person on the trip, didn't hear any machines. It was a great time. The only thing I would do different is add a day to the trip just to make it more relaxing.

I've done several canoe trips in the adirondacks. Try to go at least once a year. The saranac chain is probably my favorite, but there's hundreds of lakes and rivers to choose from, all are great.

My son and I did a 20 miles stretch on the west branch of the Susquehanna river a couple years back. Found a camp spot about half way. I highly recommend it, the stretch we did was through state forest. Did not see another person on the trip, didn't hear any machines. It was a great time. The only thing I would do different is add a day to the trip just to make it more relaxing.

Wow sign me up. I've only done the Delaware twice and I would love something like that. Trying to plan a guerrilla style trip to one of our county parks where camping is verboten.

Did a 30 or so mile paddle this past weekend, again on the Delaware. We got underway in Milford and finished up in Smithfield Beach. Faced a brutal headwind all afternoon Friday and all day Saturday. Brought along my new 77qt. Lifetime cooler that barely squeezed into the float that I bought for it. Note to self, the cooler and float act like an anchor while paddling.

T46QxlPl.jpg

8VkcM5ll.jpg

AHyFcXFl.jpg

Last edited:
I have considered it. I want to build a wooden yak and take it for trips. I've kayaked from Luray VA to Front Royal camping along the way. It was fun and I would love to do it again.

Did a 30 or so mile paddle this past weekend, again on the Delaware. We got underway in Milford and finished up in Smithfield Beach. Faced a brutal headwind all afternoon Friday and all day Saturday. Brought along my new 77qt. Lifetime cooler that barely squeezed into the float that I bought for it. Note to self, the cooler and float act like an anchor while paddling.

T46QxlPl.jpg

8VkcM5ll.jpg

AHyFcXFl.jpg

use to live over in bushkill, spent lots of time on the Delaware. once the head wind was so strong we had to paddle up stream.
the first come first serve camp sites are great.

Top Back Refresh