What's new

Kawasaki Mule SX vs Honda Pioneer

inthefield

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Texas
Seeing if anyone has direct experience with the Mule SX platform. Starting to seriously look at picking up a sxs, and this one is in the lead with a Pioneer 700 in second. It's primary duties would be property maintenance and cruising the hood here, and at the coast. I like the compact size and the ability to put it in the back of the pickup. My inclination is the fuel injection is worth the cost, but I'm open to arguments.

I've got family that has a pioneer 1000-5 on their place, and I know I don't need to go that big, but turning loose of another $3K isn't out of the question if the 700 is that much better.

Planning on going new either way, I have no time to deal with someone else's bombed out problem.

I had the 700. The doors and door bars were so low my wife and kids always felt exposed. They they could fall out easily. I had no mechanical issues, used it heavily as a deer dragger, ultra4 pit vehicle, towed my 4400 to the trailer a few times.

It was a rough ride, uncomfortable for long rides, and felt tippy to the family. But I also rock crawled it and put it in places where a winch had to pull me out of situations where I was about to roll it.

If you go this route get the 1000 with the upgraded shocks.

I would vote Honda 1000

I have had neither of your choices but have been around ranchers that have both and the Pioneer 1000 appears to be the best work horse. The smaller cc Pioneer has smaller drive train components when you compare the two.

If Kawasaki put the Hyabusa engine in a SxS I’d probably try it.

The Kawi is the easiest to get in and out of of any sxs. I went to a huge delarship and tried them all and there was a significant difference.

The Pioneer 700 is a 3 speed and tops out at 40mph. Rear end is always locked too. Haven't been around a Mule SX but I bet it has a selectable rear locker.

If you want the 700 pioneer, save a couple more thousand up and get the 1000. Goes 25 mph faster, has a high and low range (6 gears in each) and has a selectable rear locker.

Bump - anyone have direct experience with the 4x4 Kawasaki Mule SX, preferably the XC?

1_20KAF400R_251GN1DLS2CG_A.20200626140111.jpg - Click image for larger version Name:	1_20KAF400R_251GN1DLS2CG_A.20200626140111.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	208000

Manual diff lock, range, & 2wd/4wd selection, air cooled but fuel infected - I dig it.
Steel floor, steel bed, OK-ish suspension for low-speed rough terrain.
23 amp alternator, dunno if a winch would kill the angry pixies?

I need a small utility 4x4. It will live in low range on 1 hilly acre.
Not a trail blaster, will rarely reach it's (sub-moped) top speed.

Top contenders are the Mule SX XC and the Yamaha Kodiak 450.
Both "meh", on the fun-o-meter :laughing: but this is just a utility vehicle.

Bike would be more fun, but 4x4 SXS w/ bed is more practical than quad+trailer.
Must fit into 3/4T PU bed, so full-size SXS is a no-go. I need golf cart size.
Actual golf cart's a no-go because hills, dragging stuff & dragging stuff up hills.

Please talk me out of it or blow smoke up my ass that it's a good idea :flipoff2:

EDIT: 2big bronco - did you have any other likes / dislikes? What dealership did you go to?

Last edited:
Bump - anyone have direct experience with the 4x4 Kawasaki Mule SX, preferably the XC?

Manual diff lock, range, & 2wd/4wd selection, air cooled but fuel infected - I dig it.
Steel floor, steel bed, OK-ish suspension for low-speed rough terrain.
23 amp alternator, dunno if a winch would kill the angry pixies?

I need a small utility 4x4. It will live in low range on 1 hilly acre.
Not a trail blaster, will rarely reach it's (sub-moped) top speed.

Top contenders are the Mule SX XC and the Yamaha Kodiak 450.
Both "meh", on the fun-o-meter :laughing: but this is just a utility vehicle.

Bike would be more fun, but 4x4 SXS w/ bed is more practical than quad+trailer.
Must fit into 3/4T PU bed, so full-size SXS is a no-go. I need golf cart size.
Actual golf cart's a no-go because hills, dragging stuff & dragging stuff up hills.

Please talk me out of it or blow smoke up my ass that it's a good idea :flipoff2:

EDIT: 2big bronco - did you have any other likes / dislikes? What dealership did you go to?

I went to salinas motorcycle center. They have a great selection but all the employees are a bunch of high pressure sales douchebags. As soon as I told them I was paying cash the person helping told me I could just look up the info online and walked away.

if it's only going on an acre then definitely try the getting into and out of them.... it makes a big difference to be able to slide in/ out then actually climbing in and out.

I'd also look at the honda 500 or whatever it is

Shit, I forgot the SX is what the 610 was. Those things are bulletproof as all hell. Fuel injected now so got rid of the cold natured issue of them. They ride like a lumber wagon but will last forever with maintenance. 25mph top end I'm pretty sure. Has a single cylinder lawnmower engine basically.

Shit, I forgot the SX is what the 610 was. Those things are bulletproof as all hell. Fuel injected now so got rid of the cold natured issue of them. They ride like a lumber wagon but will last forever with maintenance. 25mph top end I'm pretty sure. Has a single cylinder lawnmower engine basically.

That's exactly what I'm looking for: a no-drama "forever" utility vehicle that's not fast enough to make it worth kids stealing. No drivetrain mods, just service it and use it - boringly reliable is perfect.

My needs = thinning trees, clearing creek bed, gardening, feeding the compost bins, and rolling the green waste bin out heavy weekly for . . . maybe months. Plenty of little projects that a wheelbarrow or wagon full of supplies or waste would bring the suck. If it was all flat, a 2WD would be plenty of rig, but here it would be a clown car for a goat rodeo.

What I want is a Kodiak 450 or 700, but a bed pushes the Mule far ahead of an ATV. Kodiak's rated to tow more, but the Mule has more ass so it'll drag stuff more effectively. Wife could operate either, but getting into & out of tight corners is less of a clusterfuck with no trailer. I'll just have to accept that this will never be a toy - one more reason it could last forever. I already have jumping golf carts out of my system, just need to keep my brother in law out of it :laughing:

That's exactly what I'm looking for: a no-drama "forever" utility vehicle that's not fast enough to make it worth kids stealing. No drivetrain mods, just service it and use it - boringly reliable is perfect.

My needs = thinning trees, clearing creek bed, gardening, feeding the compost bins, and rolling the green waste bin out heavy weekly for . . . maybe months. Plenty of little projects that a wheelbarrow or wagon full of supplies or waste would bring the suck. If it was all flat, a 2WD would be plenty of rig, but here it would be a clown car for a goat rodeo.

What I want is a Kodiak 450 or 700, but a bed pushes the Mule far ahead of an ATV. Kodiak's rated to tow more, but the Mule has more ass so it'll drag stuff more effectively. Wife could operate either, but getting into & out of tight corners is less of a clusterfuck with no trailer. I'll just have to accept that this will never be a toy - one more reason it could last forever. I already have jumping golf carts out of my system, just need to keep my brother in law out of it :laughing:

Have you looked at utility golf carts? Some of them are pretty rugged. Hopping in and just hitting the gas is very convenient, especially if it's only an acre.

Have you looked at utility golf carts? Some of them are pretty rugged. Hopping in and just hitting the gas is very convenient, especially if it's only an acre.

Yes, I have above-average familiarity with utility golf carts.
If they'd do what I need (or the property was flat), I'd go that route.
I'll need the "3WD" & low range - AFAIK, this is the "utility golf cart" for my application.

Yes, I have above-average familiarity with utility golf carts.
If they'd do what I need (or the property was flat), I'd go that route.
I'll need the "3WD" & low range - AFAIK, this is the "utility golf cart" for my application.

Fair enough, I'm sure any 4wd "golf cart" is $$

The Pioneer 700 is a 3 speed and tops out at 40mph. Rear end is always locked too. Haven't been around a Mule SX but I bet it has a selectable rear locker.

If you want the 700 pioneer, save a couple more thousand up and get the 1000. Goes 25 mph faster, has a high and low range (6 gears in each) and has a selectable rear locker.

I've got a 2014 Pioneer 700-4, I've never been able to get it over about 30mph. It has 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd lock on the shifter, I never noticed any issues with the rear locked? Of course it never sees pavement though.

I've used the shit out of that thing and haven't had a single issue yet. It's got about 8k on it now. I use it with a plow in the winter and for hunting or just general around the property use hauling wood, rocks etc. I chain up all 4 tires and it will plow 18-20" of snow with no real issues. The 1000 was not available then, but if I were buying now I'd go with the 1000 instead (Tim the tool man grunt).

Are you looking at brand new machines specifically?

Who, me?

Most likely - there's jack shit for used machines within an hour's drive.

Also, hoping this would (with good maintenance) live longer than I do.

Who, me?

Most likely - there's jack shit for used machines within an hour's drive.

Also, hoping this would (with good maintenance) live longer than I do.

Either you or the OP. Was just a thought, because it’s not part of the initial question. I have a diesel JohnDeere Gator for the yard. Easily the most boring utility cart there is but it’s lived an unnaturally long life. If you could find one for $2K or under it might make for a good yard tool. It’s the only thing around this place my kid hasn’t broken for me and we let him ride it like a go-kart. I need to replace the factory tires from the 90’s, should probably change the black oil. If I were buying another I’d be looking at a mule or pioneer or prowler. But this stupid ol gator just needs fuel and air in the tires, starts right up even in -20° weather when several of the Polaris’s I’ve been around don’t start good at 40°.

I had a Polaris Ranger 700 and my FIL has a 570, both won’t start at all if it’s below freezing, I’d recommend against them for anywhere it gets cold.

If all goes well, we'll buy a new Kawi Mule SX XC tomorrow (fangers crossed).

I'll update w/ how it works for us, should be as exciting as a sewing machine :laughing:

Anyone know of a 3000 lb ATV winch that's bulletproof-ish?

I got a Pioneer 700 because I did not want to be over 60 inches wide. If width was not a concern, the Pioneer 1000 would be worth the extra money.

If all goes well, we'll buy a new Kawi Mule SX XC tomorrow (fangers crossed).

I'll update w/ how it works for us, should be as exciting as a sewing machine :laughing:

Anyone know of a 3000 lb ATV winch that's bulletproof-ish?
HF winch will be fine if you don't mind slow line speed. The rest of them are either rebranded versions of the HF winch or are name brand and stupidly overpriced for a small winch.

HF winch will be fine if you don't mind slow line speed. The rest of them are either rebranded versions of the HF winch or are name brand and stupidly overpriced for a small winch.
Good to know, thanks. With only a 23 amp alternator, I might skip the winch - dunno.

Drove 110-ish miles each way today to buy a Mule SX XC at Beeler Tractor in Yuba City, CA.

Once home & done wheeling the yard just because :laughing:, we put it to work at 0.5hrs on the clock:

1621740780140.png

I dig it - it's pretty capable and stupid-simple. If it had any fewer parts, it would be a fookin' wheelbarrow :flipoff2:

Good to know, thanks. With only a 23 amp alternator, I might skip the winch - dunno.

Drove 110-ish miles each way today to buy a Mule SX XC at Beeler Tractor in Yuba City, CA.

Once home & done wheeling the yard just because :laughing:, we put it to work at 0.5hrs on the clock:

1621740780140.png

I dig it - it's pretty capable and stupid-simple. If it had any fewer parts, it would be a fookin' wheelbarrow :flipoff2:

When does the long travel suspension and big bore kit show up?

:lmao:

Best thing about those Mules is the simplicity of maintenance and even if you torch a motor, less than $2k to be back on the road.

Top Back Refresh