Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

Kawasaki KLR650

IH Man

Old Tech
Member Number
Any of you guys riding the new model (2023+)? Likes? Dislikes?

Seriously considering buying one this year. Other contenders would be an Africa Twin, or Transalp. For me, I don’t want or care for all the electronic bullshit like “driving modes” on the Honda bikes. $3,000 difference in price between the KLR and the Transalp, and the Africa twin is more than twice the price of a KLR, so if I went for it, I’m going used.

Anyone ride both? One or the other?

I just went with my brother on Saturday to purchase a 2023. Dislikes would be, no tachometer, no gear indicator, no switch to turn the abs off, and he will need to do the thermobob on it. Decent bike for the price, not going to win any races. We're planning a trip in two weeks, will have more like/dislikes then.

Dealer we went to didn't have the non abs version, plan is to throw a switch on the ABS fuse to turn it on/off.
If you think you need it on ever, you'll probably find no reason to shut it off.

No tachometer on the new ones though... I haven't went and looked at them in person yet.

I dunno. Some guys like it on the pavement, then click it off once they are in the dirt
I don't want ABS at all. I've ridden long enough to not need it. Never had a bike with ABS. When I started riding, we didn't have rear disk brakes. I'm not even sure the first bike I owned even had front disk brakes.

I am amazed that you are looking at bikes newer than 1996.

Ever rode a bike with ABS?

I know you like to nit pick the details. There is a difference between never owning an abs bike and never riding one.

Just curious how you know that you dont want something that you have never actually used before

I know you like to nit pick the details. There is a difference between never owning an abs bike and never riding one.

Just curious how you know that you dont want something that you have never actually used before
Look, I've been riding bikes for a long time. I've been driving a long time. I have been a mechanic a long time. I've only ever locked up a tire on pavement one time and it was because I hadn't ridden that particular bike much, and it was also during a time I didn't own a bike and had been riding. A good rider knows his machine and can in fact stop faster without ABS than with it. Been proven before.

ABS is an additional piece of electronics that can fail, and requires different maintenance. I do not need it. I do not want to pay for it. I do not want to deal with it. It's not like I don't understand it, know how it works, and have fixed a million ABS systems. Most of my vehicles have it, and some are disconnected because they broke and I don't need it anyway. It's a safety feature, not a required function. In this instance, I have the choice to buy new without it, and it makes the price cheaper. It's not a feature I need. I don't want it.

New riders, especially now more than ever, need it. There are increasingly more drivers on the road that have never driven a car with drum brakes, no ABS and a carburetor. They literally have not had to learn how to brake without ABS. They don't know how to "feel" if the wheels are about to lock up. One of the biggest failures/mistakes relating to motorcycle crashes are guys who lock up the wheels in an attempt to stop. You can train yourself how to brake properly, but you have to practice. So many new riders just get on a ride. Very little training, very little practice. I've been riding for years, and I practice regularly. In empty parking lots, nothing to hit. I practice braking, turning, balance, emergency maneuvers, swerving, all kinds of things. Why? Because if you don't, when you need to do those things you haven't trained your brain how to do them. You have no muscle memory to know how to execute those maneuvers. Trail riding/off road riding teaches you a lot too, and shouldn't be overlooked. Guys who first rode dirt, make much better pavement riders. Way better actually. I applaud the guys who off road ride and who move to riding pavement, but they should still practice certain skills, because unless there is an emergency, you seldom use some skills.

Sorry for the long reply.

Just as another note, my wife and I like to tour. We have a Goldwing. It's old, and I'm also ready to trade it for a newer bike. (Another GW.) For guys reading who have never ridden a 1500 GW, they are massive bikes. Right at 1000# with no rider. Add in me and my wife for weight to that dry weight. Neither of us are large people. I'm 5'8". It took me a while to be able to handle that bike by itself. The newer GL1800's are better balanced than the old 1500's, and the newest versions are better yet. It takes a lot of skill to ride two up on a GW. There's just a lot of machine to control. I can scrape the pegs on it riding alone. I don't ride that hard with her on. She's my bride, and don't get too crazy with her on. On rare occasion, I've goofed around some, but on a winding, road, she gets thrown side to side a lot. She is a PERFECT pillion. Perfect. I've ridden with pillions who aren't. I love riding two up with her.

I'm looking at the KLR for just me. I want a smaller bike to ride again. Been several years since I had one. I also want to do some adventure riding. Not necessarily off road, but back road. (I'm too old for that shit.) Gravel, dirt, maybe a little trails. Nothing crazy. It will spend a lot of time on paved roads too, as I'll probably ride it instead of the GW when I run around, saving the GW for trips over 25 miles.

Maybe that helps with what I'm after. A second bike for "adventure" riding.

Top Back Refresh