What's new

Kamado Joe

Fishbone333

Red Stiff Member
Member Number
Loc
Poconos, pa
I need a smoker. :smokin:
Don't have time to make one. Been eyeing the kamado joe charcoal smoker. What do I need to know? Of course I think i need the biggest one, got a family of five. Looking to smoke brisket, pork , chicken or whatever. Are they worth the money? From the side by side comparison withe BGE, the joe seems better but lookin for someone with real experience with either.

Aren't the Kamado Joe's just a ceramic charcoal grill and not a smoker? I haven't used a ceramic type grill so I can't comment on that.

As far as smokers, you can't beat the big iron wood burning smokers for truly smoking meats. A lot of time and effort required.

I have used the traeger pellet smoker and it was one of the easiest to use. I have a propane smoker that works pretty damn well and is only slightly more work since you hav to add chips periodically and tend to your food. I mainly use the propane smoker now. I also built a wood or charcoal burning chamber smoker out of an old boiler, but you will need to dedicate more effort to that one.

Build your own. :flipoff2:

I can’t speak to the ceramic coated grills.

Traeger grills are nice because you can set it, and pretty much walk away. I haven’t been that impressed with temperature control on the one I have used.

I prefer to do brisket, pork butts, etc. using a wood fired smoker. Built the one I have using 1/4” thick pipe a few years back. The fire box is starting to show its age, so I will probably end up redoing that part in a year or so. There are plenty of online tools that allow you to calculate air flow, smoke stack size, etc.

Aren't the Kamado Joe's just a ceramic charcoal grill and not a smoker? I haven't used a ceramic type grill so I can't comment on that.

As far as smokers, you can't beat the big iron wood burning smokers for truly smoking meats. A lot of time and effort required.

I have used the traeger pellet smoker and it was one of the easiest to use. I have a propane smoker that works pretty damn well and is only slightly more work since you hav to add chips periodically and tend to your food. I mainly use the propane smoker now. I also built a wood or charcoal burning chamber smoker out of an old boiler, but you will need to dedicate more effort to that one.

Probably isn't technically a smoker. I thought about a pellet type too. I just want to smoke my own stuff instead of hitting up the BBQ place two towns over. Thought the ceramic type did that. I have the weber gas grill for quick meals, need something else.

If you're looking to smoke and not grill I'd look at a propane smoker. It's usually the cheapest to get into and does a good job of smoking if you put in the effort. Traegers are a lot more expensive and building your own may be better left to after you decide you are really into it.

I have a traeger and have used it a lot. If you aren’t a hardcore smoker guy, I’d say get a pellet smoker. There are a lot of knockoff pellet grills now. So you don’t have to pay the name premium. When I do ribs I usually put them in on straight smoke for three hours. Then pull em off and wrap em in foil and stick em in the oven for six hours at 250 degrees. They come out juicy and fall off the bone. They are as good as any I’ve had in bbq places.

I have one, mine is the Primo brand but Joe, Primo, and BGE all the same shit.

It is the BEST FUCKING cooking machine in the fucking world, period.

Wanna smoke a brisket for 16 hours without fucking with anythign, done

Wanna cook a thick ass ribeye at 800 degrees, done.

Get it, it fucking rocks!

Don't listen to anyone who doesn't have one, they know not of what they speak.

I have had mine for 6 years or so and still use it every week year round.

I occasionally use my propane just to cook something easy up but that is it.

i got rid of all my other grills after I got my Primo and will never need another grill again.

. neighbor just sold.his Kamado Joe and got a RecTec after eating the first brisket brisket i cooked on my green mountain pellet grill. I'd probably pony up for the RecTec after helping him put it together

Listen to Crispns, I will second everything he has said. I can slow cook/smoke at 225, for an entire day without adding charcoal or messing with the fire in anyway. Or I can cook a pizza at 600. I have an electric, propane, and a pellet cooker. The BGE is the most versatile and best flavor.

i got rid of all my other grills after I got my Primo and will never need another grill again.

Fuck. Been researching pellet grills for the past two hours! Good traeger is $1k! Everything rusts to shit here, would imagine not much to rust in the ceramic egg.

I have a Kamado, it smokes way better than it grills. Cold weather it's a little bit harder to keep temps. I used the Cowboy hardwood charcoal and whatever flavor hardwood chunks and have done many mouthwatering meals on it. I use the Gas grill for burgers and steaks. I highly recommend it. More work than a pellet grill but more time to drink beer and, "cook." Have had it going on seven years, replaced the main seal once...took ten minutes.

Last edited:
. neighbor just sold.his Kamado Joe and got a RecTec after eating the first brisket brisket i cooked on my green mountain pellet grill. I'd probably pony up for the RecTec after helping him put it together

I will 2nd this guy, I have a Green Mountain and really like it. It is pretty cheap feeling, just like a Traeger, but it had the fancy Wi-Fi stuff and was cheaper. I think it was 700 out the door with a cover and the winter insulated blanket deal. The next level up is the Rec Tec and Yoder pellet smokers, much better compenents and a lot thicker material.

I would also like to try a ceramic cooker too, I have heard the same thing Crispins is staying from numerous friends.

I've got a komado (Bayou Classic) and it gets used 2-3 times a week year round. Love it is an understatement. Smoking ribs or steaks @ 700 degrees. Initial cost seemed ridiculous, but over the last 8 years its been used as much as any other kitchen appliance.

I have the XL egg for ten years no problem. I do like using a offset smoke though if I have the time. Pork from last weekend.

photo7211.jpg

Also, Primo is USA made in Georgia. I have the Primo kamado, love it. I like that it is not as sensitive to wind when compared to my Weber gas grill.

I sold my traeger, it just was not smoking to me. My neighbor has a true hard wood smoker and just tastes better.
The tragers (hold onto your hats people) were just suburban Dad things that people flocked too because you just set a dial and tell everyone you smoked something.

Fuck. Been researching pellet grills for the past two hours! Good traeger is $1k! Everything rusts to shit here, would imagine not much to rust in the ceramic egg.

Look at Grilla Grills. I just bought my first pellet grill and I really like it. I got the silverback alpha.
Also, look at the Masterbuilt vertical feed charcoal grills. You can add chunks of wood to your briquettes. They have a few funky issues, but I still want to try one.

Short version- as others have said, get a ceramic style egg cooker and don't look back. I would specifically get KJ if I were you.

Long version- A little over a year ago I decided I wanted an "egg" style cooker. I've owned and/or used just about every version of grill/smoker out there, and still own 4 different styles (Gas, KJ, Offset wood box smoker, propane/charcoal smoker) Did a lot of research and I found that Kamado Joe had the best features/value, especially if you can find it at a Costco roadshow. I purchased my KJ in May 2019 and it has not disappointed. I debated between a pellet fed (Rec-Tec RT-700) and a KJ Classic II. The reason I went with an egg style and specifically a KJ:

No technology! Simple- I didn't want my long cook, or any cook, fawked up if the power went out or a motherboard decided to fry. Nothing to ever go wrong on an KJ
Pellets- nothing against them, I use them all the time to smoke cheese, but they have their limits
High heat- you can't sear at 750+ degrees on many types of grills- no problem with ceramic grills
Versatility- as mentioned- you can cook at 225 for 16 hours (my longest thus far) without touching it, set it to 350 and bake, pizza at 350, 450, 550+ depends on crust but you can do it perfectly, grill at any temp, and sear at insane temps- perfect if you use sous vide, but that's another thread!
Longevity- tied to the first point, I plan on having my KJ for decades
KJ specific- split grill is really nice (divide and conquer is what KJ calls it), spring assisted lid is great, accessories- I've got their wok and pizza stone, highly recommend.

After I got my KJ, my gas grill was sitting unused. I found the perfect accessory for it- the little griddle. Holy hell, this converted my gas grill into a huge flat top. If you've never cooked on a flat top, you are in for a real treat. I cook 90% of our dinners either on the KJ or the flat top.

This. My buddy swears up and down on his ceramic. He does everything in it. He uses his non-stop

Yeah, I'm sold. The simplicity of the egg is too hard to pass up. Read a lot of traeger reviews about error codes, faulty augers, etc. I'm leaning towards the kamado joe, gonna build a table for it. And my inner fat kid is pretty excited to eat brisket til I'm sick!
edit- not 9400 bucks sold, KJ sold lol

How are you smoking on the Komodo grills? I looked briefly at their website and it looks like a ceramic insulated charcoal grill. Then 45ACP mentioned smoking their meat at 700 degrees? How are you smoking that hot and not getting shoe leather? I do the smoking at around 200 degrees, so 700 seems way too hot.

If you're looking a pellet smokers, do a hard pass on Treager. Just not worth the money in my opinion as I know too many people who have had them fail and their customer service was not great either. For myself, I haven't decided on a pellet or egg type yet. But if I were to select a pellet one, I would probably go with Rec Tec. A friend of mine has one and the food comes out great.

How are you smoking on the Komodo grills? I looked briefly at their website and it looks like a ceramic insulated charcoal grill. Then 45ACP mentioned smoking their meat at 700 degrees? How are you smoking that hot and not getting shoe leather? I do the smoking at around 200 degrees, so 700 seems way too hot.

I think he was sating he could smoke (low temp) or grilling (high temp)

I smoke on mine all the time.

225 degrees for 6 hours for a rack of ribs, comes out retarded good.

Steak dude steak! Not smoke lol. I was saying I can smoke on it (low temps) or sear some ribeye (high temps)

Top Back Refresh