What's new

Kahlua for Youha

JNHEscher

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Dogwood, MO.
Found our recipe in my writing, so I know it's the real deal.

The original is as follows:

4 cups sugar
2 cups water
2/3 cups instant coffee
a fifth of vodka
1/2 pint of brandy
vanilla bean

Combine water, sugar, and coffee in a pot and bring to a boil. Skin off the froth and let cool completely Add vodka, brandy, and vanilla to taste.

Now, when I was young, we always let two beans steep in the alcohol for a couple weeks. For a quick version, of course, you just use vanilla extract.

I've cut the sugar down to two cups and the taste has been just the same. I may cut it down some more because that's a shitload of sugar.

And now for a bloated story of a fond memory - aren't ya glad I put the recipe first? lol

My parents made this every year and would bottle it up and glass bottles that they collected from some food that we kept in the house. They would hand make the labels with manila card stock that they would wrinkle and burn the edges of the make it look like and old world map of sorts. My dad had a lot of caligraphy sets and would write "Kahlua for Youha". These got passed out as xmas presents. We typically made White Russians.

Found our recipe in my writing, so I know it's the real deal.

The original is as follows:

4 cups sugar
2 cups water
2/3 cups instant coffee
a fifth of vodka
1/2 pint of brandy
vanilla bean

Combine water, sugar, and coffee in a pot and bring to a boil. Skin off the froth and let cool completely Add vodka, brandy, and vanilla to taste.

Now, when I was young, we always let two beans steep in the alcohol for a couple weeks. For a quick version, of course, you just use vanilla extract.

I've cut the sugar down to two cups and the taste has been just the same. I may cut it down some more because that's a shitload of sugar.

And now for a bloated story of a fond memory - aren't ya glad I put the recipe first? lol

My parents made this every year and would bottle it up and glass bottles that they collected from some food that we kept in the house. They would hand make the labels with manila card stock that they would wrinkle and burn the edges of the make it look like and old world map of sorts. My dad had a lot of caligraphy sets and would write "Kahlua for Youha". These got passed out as xmas presents. We typically made White Russians.
Like in my morning work coffee.
Makes my day gooder :smokin:

Thanks for the recipe
B18FC5A5-AE15-449E-B60A-E9B37F3F6489.jpeg

Top Back Refresh