What's new

Just picked up my new multi-tool

kiwi_steve

Land Rover Nut
Member Number
Loc
New Zealand
1988ish Kubota KH41 with factory cab and decidedly un-factory paint job. Cheapest digger I could find by a long margin - and it shows.

Screenshot_20210902-111858_Viber.jpg

Brand spanking new! (to me) with a lovely fresh baby-blue paintjob to hide all the stuff I will probably find out about over the coming weeks...

But its got a heater and a windscreen wiper! How flash can you get...

I'm off outside to take it into the paddocks and see if I can roll it over or get it stuck... wish me luck!

1988ish Kubota KH41 with factory cab and decidedly un-factory paint job. Cheapest digger I could find by a long margin - and it shows.

Screenshot_20210902-111858_Viber.jpg

Brand spanking new! (to me) with a lovely fresh baby-blue paintjob to hide all the stuff I will probably find out about over the coming weeks...

But its got a heater and a windscreen wiper! How flash can you get...

I'm off outside to take it into the paddocks and see if I can roll it over or get it stuck... wish me luck!
Break a neck!

I like where this is going! Flex her on a stump, lets see the articulation!!!

Congrats. Looks like it’s about to fall over sitting on the trailer parked against the curb. :flipoff2:

Well, I haven't rolled it yet, but I am getting a bit annoyed with the slop in the slew gear... (thats what I'm blaming here anyway)...

One of my Discos now has a little scratch - I'm sure it will buff out :grinpimp:

Screenshot_20210902-170942_Viber (1).jpg

And yeah, most of these mini excavators go for $20k or more here - I think I might have got lucky because this one was listed, then a few days later we went into lockdown and so there was no way to go check it out... so I took a punt on it - paid $7k which I think was a bargain, and while it needs a LOT of tidying up, I'm happy to do that - and its a good excuse to buy a half-decent shop welder to replace my old one.

First job was to adjust the throttle linkage - it wouldn't stop, so the previous owner would just shut it down as far as it would go then drive the bucket into the ground to stall it... I just adjusted up the throttle linkage properly to solve that one - next job it a new blade on the grader - its rolled under and totally buggered. Just ordered some steel for that - and I'll put a new edge on the bucket while I'm at it I think because thats a bit buggered as well.

Can't do that now though - gotta go get my first covid jab...

All in all its not too bad, but it sure needs a LOT of love... I'll get some picks of it in action at some point - I'm making a big mess on the drive :cool2:

I think I shall call him Dug, although I briefly considered 'Tard(is) in honour of his shape and colour.

A few problems though - the worst is the play in the slew gear, which is VERY sloppy - almost the width of the bucket in slop when the boom and arm are extended - does anyone know if there is any adjustment for this? It seems like I might have to pull it completely apart and replace a bunch of expensive bits - which means I need a bigger digger to get the top off this one.

I've also got the bucket curl control sticking - and if you operate other levers when its stuck those other levers end up controlling something other than you are expecting which is weird - if I understood hydraulics better I'm sure it would make sense...

And there is a very annoying amount of slop in the slew controls (on top of the slop in the actual slew) - I've got 100mm (4") of play in the lever before it even takes up the slack and starts to operate.

So, I took up the floor for a look to see what I could do about that
20210904_170435.jpg

I'm starting to see a lot of rust was painted over in this old girl... there are holes everywhere... but as long as the paint is still holding it together I'm ok with that :laughing:

There are 4 linkages under the head of the ratchet - the far one is the bucket curl control - its on a bellcrank so pushing the lever to the right pushes the linkage towards the rear - and this is the worst sticking point. I took the linkage off to isolate that, which also enabled me to move the lever through a greater range of movement - it really binds up the more the lever is pushed to the right, and its the main pivot shaft that is binding

Dugs_bellcrank_stiffy.gif

Sorry about the gif - but it shows the shaft that is binding up - but there is no easy way to get this out to sort it that I can see... there is a hard way, but no easy way. Has anyone got any experience of this kind of issue and thoughts on a fix? I don't know what is inside the tube - a rubber sleeve for vibration mitigation? According to the parts diagram there are needle rollers - I doubt there are any rollers left - you can see play in the shaft. Part 030 is the bit that is binding:
Dug_parts_breakout.jpg

I can't get at it though - so I'm torn between just putting up with it for now, and pulling it apart. I dumped a heap of spray lube into it and its freed up a little, and is better when the lever is pushed left, but its still binding to the right.

The other problem with the slop in the slew controls is because a hole has ovalled out and the pin through it is just slopping around. I 'fixed' that with half a slip pin jammed down the side of the pin because its way under those big hard lines and back under the seat - it would be a big teardown to get to and re-sleeve...
Screenshot_20210904-191537_Viber.jpg

Fixed! :flipoff2:

Among other things, I've also ordered a strip of 5mm (I think thats about 407 inch-feet of pound-torques in imperialisms) Hardox to weld on to the grader blade which is badly rolled under and making grading almost impossible... I'll probably use some of that to put a new edge on the bucket too.
Dug_blade.jpg

Thats about all so far :shaking:

Still, its all fixable... I think the harder stuff I will leave until next winter and I can put it in the shed and work on it when I won't need it.

Top Back Refresh